• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

An ACT of the People of Wisconsin to Consolidate, Rationalize and Preempt ALL Wisconsin Gun Laws.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Mission: To winnow all Wisconsin jurisprudence for firearms regulation, separating dross from ore according to standards established herein. To refine the ore into legal metal that is strong and incorruptible.

Vision: A culture of good and law abiding citizens acknowledging that "an armed society is a polite society."

Values: Meticulousness, rigor, justice.

WHEREAS All men are created equal with inherent inalienable Rights that include the Right to Keep and Bear Arms.

WHEREAS The Right to Keep and Bear Arms for all lawful purposes shall not be infringed.

WHEREAS A well regulated citizenry is essential to the security of their state.

WHEREAS Justice is for the just and laws for the law abiding.

Remember that the principles that are the WHEREAS must not be unnecessarily multiplied and must legitimize every regulation that follows. If a regulation is not previously justified then a principle must be crafted as a WHEREAS. It is these principles that will array supporters and opponents and convince them that the cost to them, their gored ox, is worth the result.

If the people are not convinced of the justice of the Act then it will fail.

For instance, how are the prohibitions justified against armed juveniles, armed felons, armed abusers, armed mental defectives, armed non-citizens? How justified are requirements for safe storage, safe children, safe practices, safe hunting, safe transport, safe assemblies, safe schools?

Principles as WHEREAS must be crafted for all these if they are not discarded as dross.

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I'm assuming you are looking for discussion on how to word this in the best possible way?

If that's the case then I havea couple ofsuggestions so far....

Change:

WHEREAS The Right to Keep and Bear Arms for all lawful purposes shall not be infringed.
To:

WHEREAS The right of theindividualto keep and bear arms for security, defense, hunting, recreation or any other lawful purpose shall not be infringed.
[/i]

My reasoning is that the English bill of rights had the "as allowed by law" and "lawful purpose" sounds too much like it. We all know what happened there. I think it's better to add in "security, defense, hunting, and recreation" specifically or the "lawful purpose" may be come few and far between.

I would also suggest changing

This:

WHEREAS A well regulated citizenry is essential to the security of their state.

To:
WHEREAS A well regulated citizenry is essential to the security of their state, their persons, and their property.

And I believe you could leave out:

WHEREAS Justice is for the just and laws for the law abiding.
Too super-heroish, with vigilante overtones IMHO.

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

J.Gleason wrote:
Define, well regulated citizenry.

Regulated Synonyms:

adapted, adjusted, arranged, coordinated, directed, fixed, governed, managed, monitored, ordered, organized, ruled, set, settled, standardized, supervised, systematized

See also; Heller V. DC

I believe it was the Chief justice who defined well regulated as meaning "Well trained" at the time of the framing.

I agree that a word more in line with the times may be more suited.

Maybe Coordinated???

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

Brass Magnet wrote:
J.Gleason wrote:
Define, well regulated citizenry.

Regulated Synonyms:

adapted, adjusted, arranged, coordinated, directed, fixed, governed, managed, monitored, ordered, organized, ruled, set, settled, standardized, supervised, systematized

See also; Heller V. DC

I believe it was the Chief justice who defined well regulated as meaning "Well trained" at the time of the framing.

I agree that a word more in line with the times may be more suited.

Maybe Coordinated???
Right, because couldn't regulated also mean permitted, mandatorally trained or registered?

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Why differentiate "security, defense, hunting, recreation" from lawful purposes? A principle is that entities should not be multiplied unnecessarily (Occam's Razor).

The state is of the person, their condition.

Justice for the law abiding is preparing for the principle that will allow prohibiting some their Rights to arms, the outlaws. We do not live in a political Utopia.

Well regulated citizens are not anarchists, not free-thinkers nor outlaws.

These are the principal WHEREAS principles and not the laws. I will not defend an attempt to do anything other than consolidate existing laws in one 'place', or to rationalize by removing impossible dilemmas ("a direction sign pointing each way) and contradictions.

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
Why differentiate "security, defense, hunting, recreation" from lawful purposes? A principle is that entities should not be multiplied unnecessarily (Occam's Razor).
I'm not differentiating, I'm enumerating. Remember that the founders thought that certian rights were obvious and it wasn't needed to enumerate them? There is nothing being multiplied unnecessarily here, I think it is necessary. And I believe that reaffirming the "individual" is also a good token.

Doug Huffman wrote:
The state is of the person, their condition.
I see your meaning, and now I see thatit wasn't capitalized.

Doug Huffman wrote:
These are the principal WHEREAS principles and not the laws. I will not defend an attempt to do anything other than consolidate existing laws in one 'place', or to rationalize by removing impossible dilemmas ("a direction sign pointing each way) and contradictions.
I understand that Doug. I'm just trying to offer some constructive ides. The WHEREAS principles are one of the first things to be seen at the top of the act and even though proper wording may not have an effect on the actual law, they will have an effect on the first impression.

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

I just wanted to be clear that "well regulated citizenry" did not mean required training or registration.

http://www.guncite.com/gc2ndmea.html

A brief summary of early U.S. militia history.
Well Regulated
The Random House College Dictionary (1980) gives four definitions for the word "regulate," which were all in use during the Colonial period and one more definition dating from 1690 (Oxford English Dictionary, 2nd Edition, 1989). They are:
1) To control or direct by a rule, principle, method, etc.
2) To adjust to some standard or requirement as for amount, degree, etc.
3) To adjust so as to ensure accuracy of operation.
4) To put in good order.