Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Restraining order

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    4

    Post imported post

    Can you still get a Rifle,or a pistol if you have had a 50 B / restraining order placedagainst you? The 50 B /restraining order is now off, as it has been the full year after we went to court,but not sure if I canpurchase a hunting rifle... Does anyone know if the NClaw states that you can not purchase a hunting rifle after these things go off of your record or after your year is done after the court date?



    Thanks,


    bultaco178


  2. #2
    State Researcher HankT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Invisible Mode
    Posts
    6,217

    Post imported post

    bultaco178 wrote:
    Can you still get a Rifle,or a pistol if you have had a 50 B / restraining order placedagainst you? The 50 B /restraining order is now off, as it has been the full year after we went to court,but not sure if I canpurchase a hunting rifle... Does anyone know if the NClaw states that you can not purchase a hunting rifle after these things go off of your record or after your year is done after the court date?
    You might not be a good candidate, irrespective of the law's provisions, for obtaining a firearm. Considering your DVPO situation, I mean.

    Depending very muchon the actual details of that DVPO, you might be better off chillin' on the gun thing for a while. Especially if drugs or alcohol was involved.

    Just an opinion. Can't tell too much with knowing more about the incident.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    4

    Post imported post

    Neither drugs or alcoholwere involved, and it was just a case of her word against mine. There was not even any contact. She said that I called her and threatened her. And they went over board with the whole thing. That was what the whole case was based upon. They did see fit to give me allmy guns back after it was all over.

    Thanks for your input,

    Bultaco178

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Cary, North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    26

    Post imported post



    If the courts/police gave you back your firearms, then you should be able to purchase...but, don't be surprised if it gets kicked out by NICS due to the records being old and not purged.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    2

    Post imported post

    jkeith wrote:

    If the courts/police gave you back your firearms, then you should be able to purchase...but, don't be surprised if it gets kicked out by NICS due to the records being old and not purged.
    I had a record that was not purged while applying for my chp, two months later, & i am approved, (10/18/2009) but not permitted yet.....? but in the 20 years since my arrest, & dismissal i purchased 5 handguns w/purchase permits, & a rifle, just my experience in Onslow county NC



  6. #6
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,350

    Post imported post

    I don't have a legal answer for you, but I can give you my experience. I had a restraining order placed against me after I asked for a pizza delivery girl by name when I ordered my pizza. Even better, SHE didn't place the restraining order, the restaurant did! lol So I couldn't get Papa John's for a year (the girl found me later and said she had no clue what that was all about).

    A year or two later, I went through the process of applying for a CHP without a hitch. I've also purchased multiple firearms since then. On top of all of that, it never showed up on the criminal background checks I've had recently. So, while I can't say for sure, I wouldn't be too worried about it causing you problems.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    2

    Post imported post

    loaded_4_bare wrote:
    jkeith wrote:

    If the courts/police gave you back your firearms, then you should be able to purchase...but, don't be surprised if it gets kicked out by NICS due to the records being old and not purged.
    I had a record that was not purged while applying for my chp, two months later, & i am approved, (10/18/2009) but not permitted yet.....? but in the 20 years since my arrest, & dismissal i purchased 5 handguns w/purchase permits, & a rifle, just my experience in Onslow county NC

    For what its worth, my charges were in NJ.

  8. #8
    State Researcher HankT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Invisible Mode
    Posts
    6,217

    Post imported post

    DreQo wrote:
    I don't have a legal answer for you, but I can give you my experience. I had a restraining order placed against me after I asked for a pizza delivery girl by name when I ordered my pizza. Even better, SHE didn't place the restraining order, the restaurant did! lol So I couldn't get Papa John's for a year (the girl found me later and said she had no clue what that was all about).

    A year or two later, I went through the process of applying for a CHP without a hitch. I've also purchased multiple firearms since then. On top of all of that, it never showed up on the criminal background checks I've had recently. So, while I can't say for sure, I wouldn't be too worried about it causing you problems.
    This is one of those old things that could come back to haunt....at the most inconvenient time...

    If a business actually had a RO issued against you, there is a record somewhere of it.

    One updating of a database down the road somewhere and...poof...you're stuck in the middle of a gun transaction.

    An appropriate complaint to Papa John's corporate might get them to clear it up for you.

    Maybe get a free pie out of it, too......



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •