• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Restraining order

bultaco178

imported post

Can you still get a Rifle,or a pistol if you have had a 50 B / restraining order placedagainst you? The 50 B /restraining order is now off, as it has been the full year after we went to court,but not sure if I canpurchase a hunting rifle... Does anyone know if the NClaw states that you can not purchase a hunting rifle after these things go off of your record or after your year is done after the court date?

Thanks,

bultaco178

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

bultaco178 wrote:
Can you still get a Rifle,or a pistol if you have had a 50 B / restraining order placedagainst you? The 50 B /restraining order is now off, as it has been the full year after we went to court,but not sure if I canpurchase a hunting rifle... Does anyone know if the NClaw states that you can not purchase a hunting rifle after these things go off of your record or after your year is done after the court date?

You might not be a good candidate, irrespective of the law's provisions, for obtaining a firearm. Considering your DVPO situation, I mean.

Depending very muchon the actual details of that DVPO, you might be better off chillin' on the gun thing for a while. Especially if drugs or alcohol was involved.

Just an opinion. Can't tell too much with knowing more about the incident.

bultaco178

imported post

Neither drugs or alcoholwere involved, and it was just a case of her word against mine. There was not even any contact. She said that I called her and threatened her. And they went over board with the whole thing. That was what the whole case was based upon. They did see fit to give me allmy guns back after it was all over.

Thanks for your input,

Bultaco178

jkeith

imported post

If the courts/police gave you back your firearms, then you should be able to purchase...but, don't be surprised if it gets kicked out by NICS due to the records being old and not purged.

loaded_4_bare

imported post

jkeith wrote:
If the courts/police gave you back your firearms, then you should be able to purchase...but, don't be surprised if it gets kicked out by NICS due to the records being old and not purged.

I had a record that was not purged while applying for my chp, two months later, & i am approved, (10/18/2009) but not permitted yet.....? but in the 20 years since my arrest, & dismissal i purchased 5 handguns w/purchase permits, & a rifle, just my experience in Onslow county NC

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

I don't have a legal answer for you, but I can give you my experience. I had a restraining order placed against me after I asked for a pizza delivery girl by name when I ordered my pizza. Even better, SHE didn't place the restraining order, the restaurant did! lol So I couldn't get Papa John's for a year :D (the girl found me later and said she had no clue what that was all about).

A year or two later, I went through the process of applying for a CHP without a hitch. I've also purchased multiple firearms since then. On top of all of that, it never showed up on the criminal background checks I've had recently. So, while I can't say for sure, I wouldn't be too worried about it causing you problems.

loaded_4_bare

imported post

loaded_4_bare wrote:
jkeith wrote:

I had a record that was not purged while applying for my chp, two months later, & i am approved, (10/18/2009) but not permitted yet.....? but in the 20 years since my arrest, & dismissal i purchased 5 handguns w/purchase permits, & a rifle, just my experience in Onslow county NC
For what its worth, my charges were in NJ.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

DreQo wrote:
I don't have a legal answer for you, but I can give you my experience. I had a restraining order placed against me after I asked for a pizza delivery girl by name when I ordered my pizza. Even better, SHE didn't place the restraining order, the restaurant did! lol So I couldn't get Papa John's for a year :D (the girl found me later and said she had no clue what that was all about).

A year or two later, I went through the process of applying for a CHP without a hitch. I've also purchased multiple firearms since then. On top of all of that, it never showed up on the criminal background checks I've had recently. So, while I can't say for sure, I wouldn't be too worried about it causing you problems.
This is one of those old things that could come back to haunt....at the most inconvenient time...

If a business actually had a RO issued against you, there is a record somewhere of it.

One updating of a database down the road somewhere and...poof...you're stuck in the middle of a gun transaction.

An appropriate complaint to Papa John's corporate might get them to clear it up for you.

Maybe get a free pie out of it, too...... :cool: