• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

White House Backs Right to Arms Outside Obama Events

Xeni

imported post

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/08/18/AR2009081803416.html?hpid=topnews

Money quote from the Brady Center:

"What Gibbs said is wrong," said Paul Helmke, president of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence. "Individuals carrying loaded weapons at these events require constant attention from police and Secret Service officers. It's crazy to bring a gun to these events. It endangers everybody."

Gibbs' quote:

Robert Gibbs, the White House press secretary, said people are entitled to carry weapons outside such events if local laws allow it. "There are laws that govern firearms that are done state or locally," he said. "Those laws don't change when the president comes to your state or locality."

---

The quote is very generic and is keeping in the stance that localities such as DC and Chicago should be able to set there own laws. But, the BC and some on the left are taking it as an almost open invitation for pro-NRA forces..

TFred

imported post

What everybody seems to miss here (and no doubt at the delight of the Brady Bunch) is that the perimeter of these "events" is huge, the fact that the President is nearby is really not even pertinent. The Secret Service surveys the area, controls all points from which someone might harm the President, and leaves the rest up to the local folks.

I'm sure the Brady Bunch would have us ban all guns within 100 miles of the President, the Vice President, the mayor, the dog-catcher...

TFred

MSC 45ACP

imported post

What the Brady Bunch (and many others) don't know is HOW deep the President's security really is.Even the Brady Bunch would lose sleep at night if they knew how many counter-snipers the SSand how they are employed. I served on a few presidential security details while I was in the Coast Guard. Of course we were the OUTER ring of security and weren't even NEAR The Man himself. I met quite a few folks on those details and not all of them came from the Secret Service. As mentioned in other posts, they use MANY other agencies to get the job done.

Its nice to see the Press Secretary tell the truth for a change.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

Xeni wrote:
Gibbs' quote:

Robert Gibbs, the White House press secretary, said people are entitled to carry weapons outside such events if local laws allow it. "There are laws that govern firearms that are done state or locally," he said. "Those laws don't change when the president comes to your state or locality."
Well now, that kinda shoots the whole "off limits -federally protected zone" nonsense right in the ass huh?

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Xeni wrote:

Your NRA at work for you! :)

TFred wrote:
I'm sure the Brady Bunch would have us ban all guns within 100 miles of the President, the Vice President, the mayor, the dog-catcher...
That's silly. The Brady Bunch wouldn't say or suggest that...

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

TexasNative wrote:
HankT wrote:
That's silly. The Brady Bunch wouldn't say or suggest that...
I guess you'd know, Hank.

Whoa.

Native getrestless again...

zulu-warrior.jpg