• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Warren picnic part 2

malignity

imported post

I'm wondering if we shouldn't get some sort of head count before we mention what we're going to bring. I was planning on dropping by Meijer's deli and picking up some potato salad and maybe coleslaw or something, but I don't know how much to get.

astrogiblet

imported post

malignity wrote:
I'm wondering if we shouldn't get some sort of head count before we mention what we're going to bring. I was planning on dropping by Meijer's deli and picking up some potato salad and maybe coleslaw or something, but I don't know how much to get.
Absolutely no point in getting a head count. Probably half or more of the people who show up to picnics do not belong to this website. They hear about it from a friend, or read about it in the newspaper.

Just buy what you can afford, don't overdo it, and know that there will always be WAY too much food at these picnics.

malignity

imported post

What's the average turn out? 10? 50?
I hate to bring way too much, or not enough, ya know? This would be my first OC meet, so I have no idea what to expect :p

astrogiblet

imported post

malignity wrote:
What's the average turn out? 10? 50?
I hate to bring way too much, or not enough, ya know? This would be my first OC meet, so I have no idea what to expect :p

Varies WIDELY..

Some picnics have had 6 people there... some have had over 100..

This picnic sounds like it is going to be pretty big.. so I'd guess at least 50 people, maybe 75 would be a fair guestimate.

I wouldn't say you have to plan for bringing food for that many people... Thats a lot.

Radioman

imported post

Malignity, its great that you want to make sure and bring enough for the picnic but it really isnt that big a thing. Like for the Oxford picnic I think there were like 5 or 6 different types of potato salad / coleslaw / macaroni salad so dont sweat the small stuff. Bring what you can or want and things will be cool. This is a very mellow group so far as the food goes from what I have seen.

Also to note that so long as the nasty W word doesnt get in the way I will be there with camera and video at least and maybe some burgers n buns too.

Radioman

Generaldet

President, CLSD, Inc., Oxford, Michigan, USA
imported post

I will be sending out press releases soon. Last years Warren picnic had around 75 people, I expect this one to be the same if not more given the fact that we have a lot more people now.

Please make sure to post if you are bringing anyone or you may possibly show up so that we have a fairly accurate count.

malignity

imported post

Excellent. What about AR15.com etc? I know a lot of people from Target Sports belong to that site, and it'd be good to get as much outreach as possible.

astrogiblet

imported post

malignity wrote:
Has anyone posted on related sites yet? If not, I can cover MGO, it's the only other gun site I belong to though at the moment.

Everyday I check the events thread and post any new events on MGO. MGO is the only other gun site I belong to though, so if you want to post it anywhere else, be my guest.

CoonDog

imported post

astrogiblet wrote:
Everyday I check the events thread and post any new events on MGO. MGO is the only other firearm enthusiast site I belong to though, so if you want to post it anywhere else, be my guest.
Fixed it for you. :lol:

Astrogiblet, just yanking your chain... :p

Michigander

imported post

FatboyCykes wrote:

The biggest problem with that would be the lack of an affirmative defense against brandishing. With hunting, you have an explicit exemption against that charge. With holstered pistol carry, you have an AG opinion to keep away brandishing charges. I don't think he could get convicted if he was responsibly carrying it slung or in a scabbard, but we know from experience that he damn well could get railroaded by a corrupt justice system.

All signs I have seen point towards the Warren PD being illegally after us, or perhaps just really inept and apathetic about our rights. They have done little, if anything to lead me to believe they've come around. For that reason, I think long arm OC would be a bad idea in Warren.

I'll admire his courage if he does it, but I don't think it would be a sensible thing to do, unless he wants a legal battle. But hey, I'd appreciate some case law on it if he wants to clear the way for us.

lapeer20m

imported post

and i'll donate a few $$ to the attorney fund if necessary.

i wish there was a simple way for thousands of gun owners to each put small amounts of money into a fund that would help defend members when brought up on gun related charges.

it sucks that a person has to pay a fortune out of their own pockets to help defend OUR rights.

mikestilly

imported post

lapeer20m wrote:

i wish there was a simple way for thousands of gun owners to each put small amounts of money into a fund that would help defend members when brought up on gun related charges. 

it sucks that a person has to pay a fortune out of their own pockets to help defend OUR rights. 

Actually there is someone could start a non-profit org that provides legal defense funds for Michigan lawful OC'er's. What do you guys think? :cool:

astrogiblet

imported post

lapeer20m wrote:

Donate the money to the 2A march and hopefully, one day, we won't have to worry about this kinda of stupid cases.

MrsRuger45

imported post

ruger45 & I will be attending the picnic. We might also be bringing another couple that we met at the Burton picnic & their 2 young sons. It all depends on his work schedule.

and a little birdy told me that ruger45's birthday is shortly after the picnic on 9/9!! :celebrate