• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun Buy Back Program

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Let's help rid our streets of evil guns and institute a GUN BUY BACK program! We can setup a booth, pay cash or gift cards for guns. Then, we can recondition them, keep the ones we want, and sell the rest for profit. Contribute to a legal fund for when one of us gets arrested and we need to sue the police.

Many gun buy back programs run by police departments destroy perfectly good weapons and also buy complete garbage. We don't need to do that. Ideas? Thoughts?

1245A Defender

imported post

ive seen some of those gun buybacks on the TV! id be happy to give $50 for those guns. some of them were worth really big bucks. and to think theyre just gonna melt them down! historical rellics, machine guns, lotsa quallity firearms, and junk guns, like the ones ive got at home!

CowboyKen

imported post

timf343 wrote:
No. But if we only buy from Nevada residents and conduct the transaction in the State of NV, we don't need an FFL, right?

I would review the definition of "dealer" in Federal Firearms laws. IANAL, but I am cautious.

Ken

P.S.; IMHO there is no problem with buying guns in the way you describe, but as soon as you offer them for sale ("and sell the rest for profit")it may be a problem. And, of course there is the issue of compliance with the Clark County registration law. etc.

Merlin

imported post

I have to agree, this is genius. If the legalities of it can be worked out, it could start a nationwide trend. I can see the steam coming out of the ears of grabbers now!

VegasGlocKid

Old thread. But i say the timing is perfect right now to do a buyback. Just read in the drudge report seattle had theirs and some people had a booth set up and were paying cash. Im talking $100 for pistols. $200 for rifles. Right in front of the police. They hated it. Then the police ran out of gift cards so everyone was going to the private citizens.

skeith5

Old thread. But i say the timing is perfect right now to do a buyback. Just read in the drudge report seattle had theirs and some people had a booth set up and were paying cash. Im talking $100 for pistols. $200 for rifles. Right in front of the police. They hated it. Then the police ran out of gift cards so everyone was going to the private citizens.

One guy had a booth setup. I was only paying $50 per rifle and picked up some beautiful ones including a 1903 Springfield...

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...as soon as you offer them for sale ("and sell the rest for profit") it may be a problem...

This actually is not illegal. It is quite common for collectors to buy several items, take their time (or not) determining which ones they wish to keep in the collection, and then sell the rest. And there is no limit on the profit one can make in this process. There is no hard line that determines what is "dealing in firearms" and they have a burden of proof to demonstrate that that is your intent.

Last edited:

DVC

City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA
All it takes is the money.

If a group of people got together and pooled their money, this could be very successful. All they would have to do would be have an FFL with them in states which limit civil rights.

Can you imagine the screams of anguish if someone did that in Oakland?

Or maybe not -- you might even get the police to endorse it, since you would be taking the guns off the streets of their town and taking them out of state.

The Big Guy

All it takes is the money.

If a group of people got together and pooled their money, this could be very successful. All they would have to do would be have an FFL with them in states which limit civil rights.

Can you imagine the screams of anguish if someone did that in Oakland?

Or maybe not -- you might even get the police to endorse it, since you would be taking the guns off the streets of their town and taking them out of state.

No, I don't believe they would like this one little bit. If that happened they would not get to add a nice free piece to their collections.

TBG

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
....Im talking $100 for pistols. $200 for rifles. Right in front of the police. They hated it. Then the police ran out of gift cards so everyone was going to the private citizens.

I was at the seattle gun show. I was purchasing weapons before the entered the "police line". I was paying US$50 for a good pistol (a colt police positive made in 1926 beauty) and US$100 for a good long gun (Win 1894 made in 1937, mint), but some were not as nice. I bought a pair of long guns for US$125 (K98 made in spandau in 1920 and an Arisaka type 38 made in tokyo).
It was a lot of fun.

VegasGlocKid

Does anyone know if there is going to be a buyback program in vegas? I wouldnt mind showing up with a pocket full of cash and picking up some peices..

The Big Guy

Does anyone know if there is going to be a buyback program in vegas? I wouldnt mind showing up with a pocket full of cash and picking up some peices..

In the gun buyback programs they give full amnesty. At least that is my understanding. If you buy a firearm and it turns out to be stolen, you get caught, you go to jail.

TBG

DooFster

In the gun buyback programs they give full amnesty. At least that is my understanding. If you buy a firearm and it turns out to be stolen, you get caught, you go to jail.

TBG

Forgive my delivery in regards to this question: if they granted amnesty then what would you go to jail for and how would you know whether it was stolen or not?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I577 using Tapatalk 2

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I think he was describing the DIFFERENCE between the "buy back" program and someone else buying what could be stolen property.

Cops are in possession of more stolen property than anyone else.

The Big Guy

Forgive my delivery in regards to this question: if they granted amnesty then what would you go to jail for and how would you know whether it was stolen or not?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I577 using Tapatalk 2

For being in possession of a stolen firearm.

In the buyback program, you would have amnesty when selling the firearm to the cops only, not to private individuals. They won't ask where you got it, or who you are. If you buy one from one of the people coming to sell the firearm and for some reason you get into trouble, and they find you have a stolen firearm, you will have legal problems.

I remember reading a ways back on one of these programs where there was an uptick in stolen firearms right before the buyback. Why not, you steal a gun and the cops pay you for it with no repercussions. And they say crime doesn't pay. Such a deal!

TBG

Last edited:

DVC

City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA
No, I don't believe they would like this one little bit. If that happened they would not get to add a nice free piece to their collections.

Since they can't publicly say that, it should be possible to maneuver them into publicly endorsing your "privately-funded effort to reduce gun violence in Oakland."

Call the group "National Gun Buyback Program, LLC" and in the press release mention that these guns will be taken "out of your town and out of your state."

When someone figures out the guns aren't being melted down, simply point out that they are being transferred LEGALLY through a Federally-licensed dealer, "which is a lot better than how they are being sold on the streets of Oakland!"

In other words, the hoplophobes may have baked this cake, but we can make them CHOKE on it!

I find this VERY attractive. If I had a couple of thousand dollars, I would organize this LLC myself, sell stock, and stockholders have first pick of collected firearms, in order of when they buy into the group, with proceeds from sales divided per share.