• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A more effective boycott technique for KY gun owners !

Statesman

imported post

I read this in the Arizona forum from Brian D. This may prove to be very effective, as it provides concrete evidence of losses to any business that decides to put up "no gun" signs.

What I like to call 'boycotting on steroids' can be the best tool of all. Every time you eat somewhere else, make a copy of the receipt and give it to the Applebees' manager. Keep a running tally over a period of months. Best thing of all is to have open carry group get togethers at gun-friendly places and let Applebees see a whole stack of receipts at the same time.
Eat or shop. Either way, stop doing business with the anti-gun business owner, and save all your receipts from the other "gun friendly" stores you choose to shop at, when the boycotted store puts up the no gun signs. Just keep in mind that the type of store receipts should match the one you're boycotting.

Come back a few months later, and drop the receipts on their counter, and politely tell them you stopped doing business at their store, because of their new "no gun" policy. When they see the losses associated with the sign, they will begin to think dollar signs equating to the removal of the no gun signs.

A couple of additional points of interest to the store owner/manager:

* Gun owners are actively getting together, and boycotting your store. We intend to resume our business here once the signs are removed.

* Gun owners are more likely to shop somewhere else, than to support a business that does not allow people to defend themselves against armed criminals.

* Many gun owners may already be boycotting your store, and you are not aware of it, because they are not communicating their intent to you.

* I actually prefer shopping at your store, because it's (insert your reason here). However, I'll go elsewhere where I am allowed to excercise my rights.

Multiply this technique with other gun owners, and the manager/owner will get the message when he runs his/her profit and loss statements!

This is exciting! If we work together to target (no pun intended) stores that have the signs, this may actually work. :celebrate

chris in va

imported post

That's fine. But more than likely they'll say that the 'no guns' sign will make people feel more at ease knowing there isn't someone carrying a firearm, and will offset any lost business from the carry folks.

Just a thought.

Statesman

imported post

chris in va wrote:
That's fine. But more than likely they'll say that the 'no guns' sign will make people feel more at ease knowing there isn't someone carrying a firearm, and will offset any lost business from the carry folks.

Just a thought.
Excellent observation. I had not thought of that.

There are a couple of retorts to that excuse, if a business owner brings it up.
  1. I am providing you with quantifiable evidence that you are losing business. There is no quantifiable evidence that people are refusing to do business at your store because you have not posted a "no guns" sign.
  2. The signs do not produce the intended effect. Preventing concealed carry is not enforceable, and gun owners that conceal ignore the signs in Kentucky, because there is no legal weight behind the signs, other than asking someone to leave, or face trespassing charges.
  3. People know that criminals will understand the sign to be a "gun free zone", where their crimes will go unchallenged by anyone inside. "No guns" signs invite criminals.
  4. There is an active, organized boycott against your store by gun owners, which comprises a large segment of your potential customers. There isn't an active boycott against any store that refuses to post "no guns" signs. Do you want to drive potential customers to stores that honor their rights to self defense?

Brian D.

imported post

:cool:I'm flattered that you want to take thisplan and run with it. In fairness it wasn't my idea originally. We at OFCC did it last year after an open carry event at a gun-unfriendly town near Toledo. Couldn't stick around to see the pile of receipts taken over to the restaurant that didn't want the lunchtime business that 50 or so of us gave to the Big Boy down the street instead, but I'm told the reaction was quite noticeable.

Statesman

imported post

Brian,

The idea of creating a quantifiable connection between "no guns" signs and lost revenue is pure genius. It's simple, and easily replicated. I believe this type of boycott will work, where others have failed. I hope others in the KY forum will take notice.