Thread: How can I carry?

Post imported post

Hey everyone,I have a unique situation I need help with. I live in Wisconsin and am an avid supporter of open carry. My problem is that I want to start to carry, but I weigh 400 pounds. walking is good for me to try and lose weight . I want to carry but most of the pants I wear have elastic bands at the moment.How can I have a setup that allows me to carry? Maybe an ankle holster? any ideas ?
    Thanks.

Post imported post

I would suggest you try using the belly band. you could always extend the elastic if need be to fit your size. I use one and they work very well.

http://magills.com/pgroup_descrip/39...%2BHolsters%2F

Post imported post

Nothing says you cannot use a belt with a holster over your waist.

Post imported post

To ways come to mind, shoulder rig, or drop leg holster. Drop leg holster may be out of the question if you legs are really big, but you may be able to find a shoulder holster.

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

a bandolier holster that hangs over your shoulder and places the holstered firearm in the center of your chest.

A belt with a holster, or even a 'Drop-leg" tactical holster should work for you.

For anything on the hip, you're going to need a belt to support it, even with a paddle holster.

What size firearm do you plan on carrying? I have a bandolier holster I could part with that is sized for a large-framed scoped revolver or pistol . I used it for my full sized Desert Eagle with a holographic sight on it. it fit nicely.

Post imported post

The first thing you need to do is buy pants with belt loops!
    http://www.kingsizedirect.com/
    has pants with an elastic waist band and belt loops. That is what I wear.
    Second get a good gun belt. I have a belt
    from
    http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/.
    If you have trouble drawing a handgun strong side, like I do, then get a cross draw holster.
    I speak from experience on this as I weigh a lot more than you do.

Perhaps if you would use a real computer you wouldn't have to apologize for not being able to do so many things on the internet!

Post imported post

Nutczak wrote:
    For anything on the hip, you're going to need a belt to support it, even with a paddle holster.
    Not necessarily. I wear workout/basketball shorts all the time (which have an eleastic band as well as a drawstring). As long as I pull the drawstring fairly tight, my blackhawk paddle holds very secure. Works very well actually. Of course I only weigh 160 lbs, but if your pants have a drawstring, you may want to try it.

Post imported post

I'm located in NW WI. I have found from personal experience concerning OC that I like a shoulder holster. I have two: one for my .45 auto for general purpose carry; & my hunting rig for my S&W lg frame .41.

I like the wide leather carry strap as it runs from my right shoulder to my left side. Doesn't chafe or cut & distributes the weight. Also, easy to take it off, I just slip it over my head no tie downs or cross chest straps.

Post imported post

I would go with a Blackhawk CQC so no matter how you want to wear it you can,on a belt in pants with no belt.Using the clips throw it on a molle thigh rig and or buy the shoulder rig so you always have options.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

You might try a gun belt with an addedsuspender system that will hold the belt up. Kind of like the "web" systems the military uses to keep their utility belts fromsliding down.

Post imported post

carry a rifle

Post imported post

Another option, if you want cheap and effective, is military surplus belts worn over your pants, no need for belt loops. If one isn't big enough for you, you could even hook 2 together. Depending on your build, a belt may keep falling down. I know it's this way for many larger people. If you have that problem with a belt, you could use suspenders. If you don't like the suspender look, you can wear a shirt over them.

I wear a dedicated gun belt, and the only part you can usually see visibly is the holstered gun. I definitely suggest it for OCing, regardless of your build.

A lot of people would suggest a paddle holster, and if you want you might want to try that, but know in advance that you may or may not find them comfortable.

And by the way, a side note, I went from 220 pounds and weak to 170 pounds running half marathons and working out 3 times a week. With determination, a good diet, and regular exercise, you CAN lose all the weight you want and get very physically fit. Before I went and did that I spent a lot of time researching diet and exercise. About a year and a half. Then I went and made the fundamental lifestyle changes that have to be made to get fit. It's not actually that hard if you put your mind to it.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Post imported post

Im pretty big as well. I wear just a gun belt with holster and mag pouch. I wear shorts and tshirt as well and it fits fairly well when walking around. Some people on here say that the gun belt look, especially with the mag puch is too much. But I say, and so do others, if its comfortable, wear it. Besides, as us big guys know, we carry big guns that got to be supported.