• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Opota Certification

Bustelo5%

imported post

This is way harder than I thought it would be. I had to call up 4 Sheriffs dept just to even call the right people to find out who even does the Security/Private investigation Opota weapons course.
As to my knowledge the only guy that does this class works out of the Broadview Hgts gun rage.
His next class is sept 12-13th and he charges $200 and requires 150 rounds of ammo.

zack991

imported post

They had us at American Gun Range off of Interstate 76 for the firearms part, they had us bring 60-80 rounds. They said 50 rounds are the norm to pass the test, but we where told to bring extra in case we where bad shots and had to retest. Thank God I don't suck at hitting targets.:D Don't be surprised that when you attend, that you WILL have the typical Arm Chair commandos there who know the "right" way. The best way to get through the class is do everything the instructors say to get through, even though some things they want you to do will make you go:?.

zack991

imported post

Sorry for the DP, but have fun at the course. Also there will be guys there that have never handled any type of firearm. You will have a mix bag of people who attend the class. Those who know what they are doing, those who pretend to know everything and finally those who have never fired any weapon before.

Bustelo5%

imported post

I figured I add this to the post since I just found out when I talked to the instructor I will taking my class from at the broadview hgts range.
When you get your OPOTA Cert that qualifys you for the the CCW. So you send in the application now im a little confused if you have to pay the fee or not but I think that you would have tp pay an admin fee of 55 dollars.

zack991

imported post

Bustelo5% wrote:
I figured I add this to the post since I just found out when I talked to the instructor I will taking my class from at the broadview hgts range.
When you get your OPOTA Cert that qualifys you for the the CCW. So you send in the application now im a little confused if you have to pay the fee or not but I think that you would have tp pay an admin fee of 55 dollars.
You will still have to pay the 55 dollar fee. You can not use your OPOTA certificate as a CCW . You can use that certificate to apply for a ccw as a CCW firearms course certificate.

Bustelo5%

imported post

Well I guess that 55 bucks gives someone a job idk how all this is supposed to work but seems like silly to me.

zack991

imported post

Bustelo5% wrote:
Well I guess that 55 bucks gives someone a job idk how all this is supposed to work but seems like silly to me.
You attend and pass your OPOTA class, you will receive your OPOTA certificate in 1 to 5 weeks from the attorney General. According to the Trumbull country Sheriff office they would allow me and accept that as my training certificate for me to apply for my CCW. In turn saving me money from having to attend another class. I still had to pay the 55 dollar few to get my CCW.

Bustelo5%

imported post

I actually suggest to anyone who wants to get their CCW to get their Opota Cert so that if you loose your job and you take your qualification every year you have something to fall back on.
Hopefully I can find a job soon i still havent found anything.

Bustelo5%

imported post

Also to add a note if you decide to get a job doing security make sure your employer get you an 'Firearm Bearer Card' The "Guard Card" as it is called for third party security officers. The Guard Card regiters you with Homeland Security for the traveling security officer super important.If the company tries to have you work third party security without it, look for another company. Homeland Security office investigates all security companies and this card ensures your safety.

sigma1986

imported post

there is also a guy in boradman that does it.....his name is bob komara if u want his number let me know...i was gunna take the next class...problem was it started the day i called..lol so i couldnt do it...the next class wont be till jan..unless he can git some ppl that are interested...he needs at least ten.

zack991

imported post

sigma1986 wrote:
there is also a guy in boradman that does it.....his name is bob komara if u want his number let me know...i was gunna take the next class...problem was it started the day i called..lol so i couldnt do it...the next class wont be till jan..unless he can git some ppl that are interested...he needs at least ten.
I think you talking about the same school I attend for mine, Shane security does the class for $175. Great guys who teach the class over all.

JSlack7851

imported post

OPOTC sounds like fun, is there a age restriction for taking it? What would the advantages of having a certificate? I'm retired and my wife would love for me to find some reason to get out of the house. Thx

zack991

imported post

JSlack7851 wrote:
OPOTC sounds like fun, is there a age restriction for taking it? What would the advantages of having a certificate? I'm retired and my wife would love for me to find some reason to get out of the house. Thx
21 and up

Bustelo5%

imported post

Advantages are that you can get some part time work,not great money but somewhat good.
But I think one of the best advantages are that you are more protected under the law for the use of force. Meaning your not LE but your use of force is more along side of theirs than just the armed individual.
Be orepared though if you apply for companies most do not furnish you with work gear and especially not with a vest so your on your own.

daniel1823

CCW/OPOTC Training

I know this thread is old but if anyone still needs help finding a cheap place to get their cert or requal for opotc there is a company I use. If you look at there site there prices are hard to beat. I've going to them since 2010 to get my opotc. They do other training to. http://oppti1.com/ is the site. Tell them Daniel Cardenas sent you as a reference.

Hareuhal

I know this thread is old but if anyone still needs help finding a cheap place to get their cert or requal for opotc there is a company I use. If you look at there site there prices are hard to beat. I've going to them since 2010 to get my opotc. They do other training to. http://oppti1.com/ is the site. Tell them Daniel Cardenas sent you as a reference.

Probably would have been better to create a new thread rather than revive a 3 year old one.