• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Maybe there is hope for Seattle

New Daddy

imported post

Squeak wrote:
People that do not vote do not have the right to whine, gripe, or otherwise fuss about who is in office or what laws should or could be enacted. A non-voter is either a solution to the problem or part of the problem. They want the rights but are too lazy to do their part in getting them. They will 'go along with the crowd' but won't stand up for what is right or legal. Don't stick your neck out too far, you may have to make a decision.

I might agree with your sentiment, however it's rare that I've seen a candidate that truly represented my interests - see my post above. For example, in the last election my wife and I both voted - we returned blank ballots. There wasn't a single candidate in any of the four races that we felt would represent us - even remotely. So we voted by not voting.

FunkTrooper

imported post

Squeak wrote:
People that do not vote do not have the right to whine, gripe, or otherwise fuss about who is in office or what laws should or could be enacted. A non-voter is either a solution to the problem or part of the problem. They want the rights but are too lazy to do their part in getting them. They will 'go along with the crowd' but won't stand up for what is right or legal. Don't stick your neck out too far, you may have to make a decision.
I'm sorry but I disagree I have rights because I was born and have rights just like the everyone in the rest of the world, saying that voting for someone is what gets you rights is giving someone too much power over you.

I'm really glad I didn't vote in the last presidential election because my vote would have gone to McCain, but if I could do it again I would vote for Ron Paul or do you think voting for third parties defeats the purpose of voting?

FunkTrooper

imported post

Well, growing up I was lead to believe you either vote republican or democrat and still thought this way when our messiah was elected. In the last year I've learned more about me and the world than I ever did in public school. If you think your voting for a republican makes a difference over a democrat look at what both parties do, they increase there own power while turning citizens into subjects.

Batousaii

imported post

FunkTrooper wrote:
Well, growing up I was lead to believe you either vote republican or democrat and still thought this way when our messiah was elected. In the last year I've learned more about me and the world than I ever did in public school. If you think your voting for a republican makes a difference over a democrat look at what both parties do, they increase there own power while turning citizens into subjects.

Yeap, that's why i am not a party guy. I try to understand some of eachsidesprinciple, but, over all, i think he idea of being stuck to a party principles to define ones political position is ... well... being a sheep.... just follow along and do as the party does. doesn't sit well with me, as i want the ability to think freely for myself on principle and issue for that issue as a packaged subject in and of itself, not as a party position. I tend to believe in the ideals of the constitution, and that laws should be very minimal, easily understood as well as simply written in "common tongue" so that lawyers become unnecessary and people can stand for themselves in a lawful manner via a little "homework". Our system is way to convoluted and tangled to be understood by anyone. Even lawyers can struggle with it... it too over whelming.

Just my thoughts

:dude:Bat

Squeak

imported post

FunkTrooper wrote:
But you said you're not registered to vote. I hope that you're grown up by now and don't cling to those things of the past. We're not talking about whom we vote for or which party, if any, but to vote. Have you ever written to your senators or reps.? H ave you ever gone to your local caucas? Have you ever gotten involved in the process? THAT'S what I'm talking about. You're not on welfare; get out and make a difference!

Phssthpok

imported post

Squeak wrote:
FunkTrooper wrote:
But you said you're not registered to vote. I hope that you're grown up by now and don't cling to those things of the past. We're not talking about whom we vote for or which party, if any, but to vote. Have you ever written to your senators or reps.? H ave you ever gone to your local caucas? Have you ever gotten involved in the process? THAT'S what I'm talking about. You're not on welfare; get out and make a difference!

I you think it's wrong for an individual to try and force you to do something against your will, what makes you think that it's OK for that same individual to HIRE someone to force you to do something against your will?

That's ALL voting accomplishes. Hiring thugs to enforce your will upon others.

SANDRAT

imported post

Trigger Dr wrote:
Not voting defeats the purpose of voting.
I agree wholeheartedly,just think of what might have happened if the people who did not vote,but complain about "Queen Christine" had voted?

I think for the first time,we are seeing a growing movement towards a viable third party alternative,Ron Paul was my guy,problem was that the GOP painted him as a looney,nothing could be further from the truth.

Squeak

imported post

SANDRAT wrote:
Trigger Dr wrote:
Not voting defeats the purpose of voting.
I agree wholeheartedly,just think of what might have happened if the people who did not vote,but complain about "Queen Christine" had voted?

I think for the first time,we are seeing a growing movement towards a viable third party alternative,Ron Paul was my guy,problem was that the GOP painted him as a looney,nothing could be further from the truth.
Right on! I thought for a minute the train would derail.

shad0wfax

imported post

Dave_pro2a wrote:
Seattle has a history with recounts in close elections.

It could be that enough votes mysteriously materialize for the slimeball to skate past the primaries.
The whole damned state has a history with the recount-until-I-win philosophy.

amlevin

imported post

shad0wfax wrote:
Dave_pro2a wrote:
Seattle has a history with recounts in close elections.

It could be that enough votes mysteriously materialize for the slimeball to skate past the primaries.
The whole damned state has a history with the recount-until-I-win philosophy.
Sorry guys but in this case your "horse" is dead. Nickels has conceded. Also, they fired the fool in King County that was counting votes "Chicago Style".

Dave The Welder

imported post

FunkTrooper wrote:
In the last year I've learned more about me and the world than I ever did in public school.
Good for you FunkTrooper! Don't listen to these other people slaming you. You might not have started voting at 18 like the others here, but you have decided to vote after doing some serious introspection. That's respectable. I'd rather have people like you who waited to vote until they felt prepared than have people that simply voted at 18 because they could. Making an argument that you should vote at 18 just because you can is like making an argument that you should carry a gun at 21 just because you can. There is a lot of preparation that needs to be done before one can safely carry a gun. Nobody here would slam someone who realized that they weren't prepared to carry a gun at 21 and decided to wait until they were prepared to take on the responsibility. In the same respect, we shouldn't be so fast to slam a man who didn't feel prepared for the responsibility to vote at 18 and waited until he felt ready. He never said that he doesn't believe in voting, just that he didn't feel ready. I started voting at 18 and my first few years of voting were wasted until I finally, like FunkTrooper, shook off the skewed view of the world that was indoctrinated into me growing up and developed my own opinions.

Solar

imported post

People who claim that you have no right to speak if you don't vote are just repeating a sound byte that is propaganda at best. I do not vote, but have been responsible for the casting and swaying of hundreds if not thousands of votes in my political lifetime. It is about being an informed individual and passing on your views of the world to an audience that is willing to become educated.

Three days before the 9/11 attacks I sat around a campfire outside Bellingham with a swarm of hippies living out of buses and told them that they were naive to think that we won't have an attack on our soil in the next three years. I was scoffed at and ridiculed as a paranoid relic of the last century. I would guess that their opinion of my level of integrity changed those few days later.

Squeak

imported post

Solar wrote:
People who claim that you have no right to speak if you don't vote are just repeating a sound byte that is propaganda at best. I do not vote, but have been responsible for the casting and swaying of hundreds if not thousands of votes in my political lifetime. It is about being an informed individual and passing on your views of the world to an audience that is willing to become educated.

Three days before the 9/11 attacks I sat around a campfire outside Bellingham with a swarm of hippies living out of buses and told them that they were naive to think that we won't have an attack on our soil in the next three years. I was scoffed at and ridiculed as a paranoid relic of the last century. I would guess that their opinion of my level of integrity changed those few days later.
That's not what was said. I said if you do not vote, you can't gripe. I agree that influencing people is very important, but, what if everyone took your stand and didn't vote? What have you accomplished? If you talk to the people, then vote, you have done all you can.