• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Stand up for your rights in Indy

Atomist

imported post

Hi,

I am in West Lafayette, REALLY want to get involved in the open carry movement that is starting. I have a few friends too that may come with for the Indy 'demonstration' you are all starting to set up. I just have one request, I can't do 9/12, I am out of town for the day for work. Any way we could do the Sat before or after? Please let me know asap. Very excited. I was starting to organize a demonstration here in WL, cops were very open even excited about it here, but Icould not get anybody here, not even from my gun range (which is currently shut down by the EPA), so would love to get involved in your group. Get back to me.

Jeff

Liberty Sanders

imported post

The police have been contacted and are cooperating. Theroute will be planned out in the next few days.

Stay tuned....

templar223

imported post

Sept. 26 is GRPC, FYI.

Kudos to whomever came up with this. I like it. I'd come over and participate if I weren't going to GRPC.

John

Liberty Sanders

imported post

Ok folks, here's the skinny...

The walk will be September 26th and will begin at noon.

We assemble in the parking lot adjacent to the City/County building on Washington Street between Alabama and New Jersey Streets.

In order to foil any possible counter-demonstrators the route of the walk will not be revealed until we have assembled, but it will be in the core downtown area and encompasses about 18 city blocks.

[align=center]IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR ANYONE FROM OUTSIDE INDIANA WHO WISHES TO PARTICIPATE:[/align]

[align=left]There are two levels of handun licensing in Indiana. One is the concealed carry permit, called an "unlimited" licensewhich covers all possession of handguns, either carried openly or concealed. [/align]

[align=left]The second type of license is the "qualified" license which covers people carrying a handgun to and from a range, to a gunsmith, or to carrying openly. Sad but true.
[/align]

[align=center]A HANDGUN MAY NOT BE CARRIED, EVEN OPENLY, WITHOUT ONE OF THESE LICENSES!!![/align]

[align=left]Out-of-staters who hold a CCW and who have concealed carry reciprocity with Indiana would be considered to have the equivalent of an Indiana unlimited license.[/align]

[align=left]There is NO licensing requirement for long guns.[/align]

[align=left]This is Indiana's FIRST open carry walk. PLEASE dress in a manner that will reflect positively on us as gunowners. DON'T wear camo, DON'T wear provocative t-shirts such as "Kill 'em all, Let God sort 'em out," and DON'T make this an anti-Obama or anti-health care event. Gun activists in other Indiana cities as well as officials from those cities are going to be watching this event in possible anticipation of having such walks in their own cities. It will be covered by the media. Let's make sure that there is nothing in our conduct that will be open to criticism.[/align]

[align=left]I hope to see lots of you there!

[/align]

Timjoebillybob

imported post

Liberty Sanders wrote:IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR ANYONE FROM OUTSIDE INDIANA WHO WISHES TO PARTICIPATE:
[align=left]There are two levels of handun licensing in Indiana. One is the concealed carry permit, called an "unlimited" licensewhich covers all possession of handguns, either carried openly or concealed. [/align]

[align=left]The second type of license is the "qualified" license which covers people carrying a handgun to and from a range, to a gunsmith, or to carrying openly. Sad but true.
[/align]

[align=center]A HANDGUN MAY NOT BE CARRIED, EVEN OPENLY, WITHOUT ONE OF THESE LICENSES!!![/align]

[align=left]Out-of-staters who hold a CCW and who have concealed carry reciprocity with Indiana would be considered to have the equivalent of an Indiana unlimited license.[/align]

[align=left]There is NO licensing requirement for long guns.[/align]

[align=left]

[/align]
Just a couple of corrections, there are two different licenses for handguns in Indiana, but the qualified license is only for hunting and going to and from the range. It does not allow any other carry than that. If you wish to carry a handgun for almost any other purpose you have to have an unlimited license. But a license is not needed to transport one to a gunsmith(place of repair) that is specifically allowed under IN code along with taking it to your home or fixed place of business from place of purchase. But it must be unloaded and in a "secure wrapper". Here is a link to the majority of IN handgun laws.
http://www.in.gov/legislative/ic/code/title35/ar47/ch2.html

And IN recognizes all other carry permits/licenses, but sorry for the IL folks the FOID is not considered a carry permit. And you are correct that there is no licensing required for long guns, but the organizer of this event is requiring a license/permit due to federal regulations about possessing a firearm within 1000 ft of school property, he wants to make sure everything is legal and above board. If you don't have a license/permit you are still welcome to attend and show support. But please do not carry. But if your not carrying please bring a video camera to document it if you are able.

Liberty Sanders

imported post

Timjoe, many thanks for the clarification.

I doubt seriously that IMPD will be checking for licenses because I don't think that they will want to risk any unpleasant confrontations or have it appear that they are jerking our chain (Show me your baberz bleeze) but better to be safe than sorry.

achin-back-n-packin

imported post

I would enjoy joining in the Open Carry walk if my back is up to it. I'd carry my grandfather's revolver in the holster myfather made. However, the 26th is my birthday and I'm not sure my wife would be too keen about my being gone that day. I'll have to give it some thought and talk it over with her.

Liberty Sanders

imported post

Folks, we've hit a bit of a snag.

The company that runs the parking facility adjacent to the City/County building, Denison Parking by name, has informed us that we will NOT be welcome to use their public parking facility at that location due to the fact that we will be in possession of firearms.

This is a problem. There are other events in town that day and parking may be at a premium.

Options are being discussed and information will be forthcoming.

In the meantime, I suggest communicating with the Denison Parking Company to let them know how you feel about their act of contempt towards American gunowners...they have a website.

Liberty

achin-back-n-packin

imported post

I called Denison Parking and asked to speak to Mark Pratt, their President and CEO. My call was routed to an assistant whose name I did not catch (will try to get it the next time around). I left a calm message about my displeasurewith the position Denison Parking has taken regarding members of the Open Carry walk. I asked for a return call with some explanation as to why theywould refuse parking to a peaceful group oflaw abiding citizens exercising their rights. I will be persistent, but polite, until someone responds to my burr in their saddle. I'll post results, if any, as they occur.

Ramen

imported post

I just wanted to point out, for any non Indiana residents who are going to participate, Indiana Code 35-47-2-21 section (b) Licenses to carry handguns, issued by other states or foreign countries, will be recognized according to the terms thereof but only while the holders are not residents of Indiana.

I do not believe this has been tested in court, but if your state only issues a CCW then you may not be able to openly carry a handgun legally in Indiana. I doubt anything will happen during the event or that the police are going to single out CCW holders just to put the Indiana Code to the test. However, IANAL and YMMV.

If you have a license to carry a handgun (like Indiana) then there are no terms specifying how your firearm must be carried.

Awesome laws from the non-free state of Indiana. :p

At least we aren't Illinois. :D