Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AR15 OC?

Post imported post

Hi everyone. I am new here and am wondering about carrying my new AR15. I've only seen talk about pistols but since I'm not 21 yet and my father will not buy a pistol for me until I am 21 I'm interested in carrying what I have.

I am a Marine and I know how to safely carry and use my rifle if needed.

Can I carry the rifle loaded with a round in the chamber?

If not, what about with a magazine inserted and no round in the chamber?

I will carry totally unloaded since I know I can load and be on target fairly quick if the need arises. I hope it does not but you never know.

Also I might do this in Madison while visiting some friends in college. Madison seems like a hot spot for this right now, and carrying an AR15 might be asking for trouble. There is nothing like a little black carbine with a 30 rd magazine to fire up the media. I understand and feel that it is my right to carry but getting arrested while on leave would probably get me in quite a bit of trouble back here. I just want to make sure its legal and all before I am in the news as "Today a Marine was arrested for carrying his ASSAULT RIFLE in Madison, WI." That is not the kind of publicity needed. As a Marine I'd draw tons of attention if it went bad. That could be both a good and bad thing I guess.

Lastly, what is the most trouble I'd get into for carrying as long as I was doing nothing illegal at the time? Disorderly Conduct? Disturbing the Peace?

I am just trying to get some opinions and possible outcomes of carrying my rifle in Madison. Sorry about the long post. I kind of started to ramble.

Thanks

Post imported post

Stork wrote:
    I've only seen talk about pistols but since I'm not 21 yet and my father will not buy a pistol for me until I am 21 I'm interested in carrying what I have.
    Iam just trying to get some opinions and possible outcomes of carrying my rifle in Madison.
    Actually, there are several discussion threads here about carrying a rifle, including an AR. You can search and find them.

You're in active military service right now? How old are you?

Why is it that you want to OC an AR?

Post imported post

I am 20 and yes I am an active duty Marine. I want to carry my AR because I've trained with it. I do not own any pistols and have not shot them enough to feel competent with one. I know my abilities with an AR and it only makes sense to carry what one has been trained with. I could carry my 30-06 or .22 but I've put more rounds though my M16 than either one. Its just a matter of wanting to carry what I am most comfortable with. I've always been taught to rely on your training and well its only natural for me to carry an AR. Plus its the most versatile platform I own. Light, easy to carry, manipulate, and so on. I bought this rifle because I am so comfortable with it. I do not like the tiny 5.56 but I love the rifle and what I can do with it.

I'll do a search and see what I find.

Post imported post

Going to be kinda difficult to lug around and sit down with.... oh well, each to their own.
    When in danger you can dial 911 and hope for the police to arrive a few minutes later armed with guns.
    Why do police carry guns?

The Joyce Foundation funded firearm control empire:
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...lFundingR1.png

"Everything that we see is a shadow cast by that which we do not see." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Go ahead man! just remember the law, . school zone, vehicle carry, etc, and keep it slinged for the most part. You ""might"" get arrested for disorderly conduct. BUT then again you might not. If you do, first thing to do is contact the NRA or other legal counsel.

Post imported post

Looks like I have to do some research on the school zones before I go. I forgot all about that. My main reason for the trip to Madison is to hang out with some friends in college down there so that might pose a problem. Time to do some research.

Post imported post

If you aren't worried about the AR being taken away, Or being harassed and given a ticket for something. Go ahead. The ticket most likely won't stand up in court... maybe.. I won't carry my AR just cause I don't want it taken away and neglected in police custody..I don't have someone to buy mea new one. I'll keep an eye out on the news for you. Good luck.

Founder's Club Member Brass Magnet's Avatar

Post imported post

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but he is old enough to buy a handgun through a private sale correct?

If that's the case, why not shop used?

There are many varying opinions on whether or not carrying a long gun hurts or helps the cause. But one thing that isn't opinion is that it's perfectly legal. You are probably more likely to be charged with disorderly conduct if you decide to carry a long gun though and your definitely more likely to get a look or two....hundred.

I mean no offense by this but it seems that you haven't got a grasp on all of the laws surrounding the issue and I hope that you study them carefully before you decide to go out, especially if you decide to carry a long gun due to the extra attention you are bound to receive.

There is a sticky at the top of the Wisconsin section with most of the applicable laws.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!
    R[ƎVO˩]UTION

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Lex malla, lex nulla

Post imported post

I'd like to carry an AR to the bar and order a burger and a soda...just because I can. But ya, I wouldn't risk my $1,400 Bushmaster getting taken away.
    Logan - Laugh lots, Love Often, and Defend the Irreplaceable
    Walther PPS 9mm, Ruger LCP
    CC permits: MN, FL, NH, PA and CO

Member of:
    Wisconsin Carry, Inc., Rocky Mountain Gun Owners, and National Rifle Association

Post imported post

logan wrote:
    I'd like to carry an AR to the bar and order a burger and a soda...just because I can. But ya, I wouldn't risk my $1,400 Bushmaster getting taken away.
    Yeah, it will get taken away, especially since its illegal to carry it into a bar............ Unless you're talking about a juice bar.
    R[ƎVO˩]UTION

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Lex malla, lex nulla

Post imported post

Whatever you decide don't forget a good digital voice recorder, and maybe a friend with a video camera, just in case.

Post imported post

Brass Magnet wrote:

Yeah, it will get taken away, especially since its illegal to carry it into a bar............ Unless you're talking about a juice bar.
    It is only illegal to bring a hand gun into a bar a long gun would be legal.

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

Hillmann wrote:
    Citation please. Not that you're wrong but just to keep this forum honest.

Post imported post

Hillmann wrote:
    Brass Magnet wrote:

What would be the probability that walking up to a bar with a rifle would precipitate someone in the bar pulling a gun on the rifle toter?

Post imported post

Hillmann wrote:
    Brass Magnet wrote:

Whoops

My bad. Didn't check before I typed....

Wisconsin Stat. § 941.237 (Carrying of firearm [Handgun]were alcoholic beverages may be sold and consumed.)

Better edit my law post to change firearm to handgun!
    R[ƎVO˩]UTION

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Lex malla, lex nulla

Banned

Post imported post

DO NOT FEED THIS TROLL lUSER =1225

Banned

Post imported post

Let's not forget guys, the 2nd reads, "the people right to bear arms, shall not be infringed."

I does not say. "the peoples right to bear hand guns shall not be infringed."

just my .02

Post imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
    DO NOT FEED THIS TROLL

(signed) Doug Huffman

Post imported post

Brass Magnet wrote:
    Hillmann wrote:
    Brass Magnet wrote:

Whoops

My bad. Didn't check before I typed....

Wisconsin Stat. § 941.237 (Carrying of firearm [Handgun]were alcoholic beverages may be sold and consumed.)

Better edit my law post to change firearm to handgun!
    ERGH..... and change were to WHERE....man, I'm slipping:X
    R[ƎVO˩]UTION

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Lex malla, lex nulla

Banned

Post imported post

If you just copied 941.237 heading straight then it's easier to be precise,

941.237 Carrying handgun where alcohol beverages may be sold and consumed.

Post imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
    If you just copied 941.237 heading straight then it's easier to be precise,

941.237 Carrying handgun where alcohol beverages may be sold and consumed.
    Point noted, and applied....
    R[ƎVO˩]UTION

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Lex malla, lex nulla

Post imported post

I didn't think they could take your firearm away. Ya I bought this gun the last time I was on leave and haven't even shot it yet so that just scared a big DON'T DO IT into me. I don't mean to sound like I am all talk but damn I just paid $1600 for this gun and I'd probably cry like a little school girl if they took it from me.

I'll be the first to admit I don't know all the laws and regulations surrounding this topic. I've done a little reading on it but obviously I have not done enough. I guess this is why I wanted to ask before I just went out carrying my rifle around. I know its my right but there are always laws that must be followed and if I don't know them then I'm better off reading up first.

I guess I got kinda excited at the thought of carrying my rifle before I did my research. I'd love to carry it around and not think twice about it or getting myself into any trouble because of it.

Damn I guess this is why I joined.

Regular Member Interceptor_Knight's Avatar

Post imported post

Stork wrote:
    I'll be the first to admit I don't know all the laws and regulations surrounding this topic. I've done a little reading on it but obviously I have not done enough. I guess this is why I wanted to ask before I just went out carrying my rifle around. I know its my right but there are always laws that must be followed and if I don't know them then I'm better off reading up first.
    It isn't just the law it is the police and prosecuting attorneys' interpretation of it. Carrying "in a threatening manor" is one of the things which can be used against you. A holstered handgun is MUCH more practical to carry than any long gun. Weapon retention, muzzle control, etc... Strapping an AR to your back isn't exactly the image you would want to project to the timid masses.

You would definitely need to be prepared for the fight in court against a citation and to get your rifle back if they were to take it from you.

Post imported post

Interceptor_Knight wrote:

A holstered handgun is MUCH more practical to carry than any long gun.
    You are making a very bold statment based on your observations of living in a large city there are situations whare a shot gun would make a much better personal defence gun than a pistol and some areas whare a hand gun is illegal but a long gun is not.

Regular Member Interceptor_Knight's Avatar

Post imported post

Hillmann wrote:
    You are making a very bold statment based on your observations of living in a large city there are situations whare a shot gun would make a much better personal defence gun than a pistol and some areas whare a hand gun is illegal but a long gun is not.
    We are not talking about "best personal defense". We are talking practical Open Carry. We are not talking rural area. We are talking OC in a town, city, village, etc. If you are going about normal business such as shopping, eating, etc then it is moredifficult to do with a long gun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast