• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

AR15 OC?

Stork

imported post

I didn't think they could take your firearm away. Ya I bought this gun the last time I was on leave and haven't even shot it yet so that just scared a big DON'T DO IT into me. I don't mean to sound like I am all talk but damn I just paid $1600 for this gun and I'd probably cry like a little school girl if they took it from me.

I'll be the first to admit I don't know all the laws and regulations surrounding this topic. I've done a little reading on it but obviously I have not done enough. I guess this is why I wanted to ask before I just went out carrying my rifle around. I know its my right but there are always laws that must be followed and if I don't know them then I'm better off reading up first.

I guess I got kinda excited at the thought of carrying my rifle before I did my research. I'd love to carry it around and not think twice about it or getting myself into any trouble because of it.

Damn I guess this is why I joined.

Interceptor_Knight

imported post

Stork wrote:
I'll be the first to admit I don't know all the laws and regulations surrounding this topic. I've done a little reading on it but obviously I have not done enough. I guess this is why I wanted to ask before I just went out carrying my rifle around. I know its my right but there are always laws that must be followed and if I don't know them then I'm better off reading up first.

It isn't just the law it is the police and prosecuting attorneys' interpretation of it. Carrying "in a threatening manor" is one of the things which can be used against you. A holstered handgun is MUCH more practical to carry than any long gun. Weapon retention, muzzle control, etc... Strapping an AR to your back isn't exactly the image you would want to project to the timid masses.

You would definitely need to be prepared for the fight in court against a citation and to get your rifle back if they were to take it from you.

Hillmann

imported post

Interceptor_Knight wrote:
A holstered handgun is MUCH more practical to carry than any long gun.
You are making a very bold statment based on your observations of living in a large city there are situations whare a shot gun would make a much better personal defence gun than a pistol and some areas whare a hand gun is illegal but a long gun is not.

Interceptor_Knight

imported post

Hillmann wrote:
You are making a very bold statment based on your observations of living in a large city there are situations whare a shot gun would make a much better personal defence gun than a pistol and some areas whare a hand gun is illegal but a long gun is not.
We are not talking about "best personal defense". We are talking practical Open Carry. We are not talking rural area. We are talking OC in a town, city, village, etc. If you are going about normal business such as shopping, eating, etc then it is moredifficult to do with a long gun.

Hillmann

imported post

Interceptor_Knight wrote:
Hillmann wrote:
You are making a very bold statement based on your observations of living in a large city there are situations where a shot gun would make a much better personal defence gun than a pistol and some areas where a hand gun is illegal but a long gun is not.
We are not talking about "best personal defense". We are talking practical Open Carry. We are not talking rural area. We are talking OC in a town, city, village, etc. If you are going about normal business such as shopping, eating, etc then it is moredifficult to do with a long gun.
I am also talking about Oc, and I am just pionteing your your blanket statement may apply to you where you live but doesn't apply to everyone. I personally wish thatOC of long guns was considered normal activity, and untill I found out that the route I normallytook was just barley within a school zone I OC'ed in my town several times a week with a long gun.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

I think if someone is going to O-C a rifle or shotgun, a scabbard worn on the bodyacross your back would be a better method than simply having it on-sling with the firearm in front of you, or carried in yourarms, or across your shoulder.

IMO, having a long gun in a scabbard slung across your back is fairly benign compred to it being carried in front of you
Lets look at the method of carry for the black guy in AZ, he had has AR slung, on his back, muzzle pointing downwards. I do not see that as being problematic myself. But if the guy was carrying it in his arms, or in his hands at the time, I could see a different reaction from the sheeple and the police.

Maybe I should use a different analogy, lets say you have a hatchet or a hand-axe, you are going to get a different reaction if you carry it in hand byit's handle then if you carried it by the head, or had it in a holster. Your method of carry changes the dynamics of the same instrument. You do not see many people walking around with a knife in their hands, but plenty are seen with them in a holster on a belt.

Is anyone following what I am trying to write, I am having some difficulties getting my thoughts into words today due to the weather that is causing me to have stiff joints and pain. It is very distracting.

Hillmann

imported post

I mostly used african carry which is similar to how the AR was carried in the video, muzzle down and behind. I see no logical reason why that should draw any more unwanted attention than OC with a holster. In fact it would clear up any problems with determining what was OC and what was CC because there is no holster covering any part of the gun,which would give cops one less probable reason to herass you.

Although in reality I will admit that it will probably have the opposite affect due to the shock factor.

VMAX

imported post

Stork: Welcome from one newby to another. I gather from the discussion that you are active duty & I see most of the discussion deals w/carrying your AR an what might happen. As a commissioned officer in another life time I can tell you, if for some reason you were arrested, you can be sure the Corps will not take kindly to bad publicity. Of more concern would be how important is that stripe on your arm.

I support the right to carry open/concealed but sometimes caution is the better part of valor. :cool:

AaronS

imported post

About all I can say about the carry of a long gun (for self protection) in a city, is watch what is behind your target. That little .223 will go through just about any person, and if you miss, it can gothrough a house, car, boat, school bus, etc. Any gun with that much power, is going to do a lot of damage. In a city, I just do not see any use for it for protection (much like my AKs). Bad for home protection (it goes through any wall in your home). If you were to miss, it will most likely go outside (my home is brick, but I bet a few 7.62x39s will make a big hole in it).

Open carry what you must, the choice is still up to you. I do think this kind of stuff is what might spark a (new) large ANTI-GUN movement.I just ask you to think about it, as I would be very mad if the public out cry were to cause our law makers to break down our current open carry rights. I would be even more mad, if I found out that it was you that caused it.

At this time we all understand that our gun carry laws are a mess. Transport, school zones, Madison, all are screwed up. Do you really think an AR on your back will help the public perception at this time (my preception on does not matter, as I am pro 2A)? What you do, can, and might effect us all. If you start to carryan ARinto stores, you will have all guns banned from most stores (at this time Corp. Roundys lets us carry, you will get that taken away, and I will not be able to carry in them anymore). It is still your choice, but one I will not stand behind you on.

Carry on, but please try not to screw us all...

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

AaronS wrote:
About all I can say about the carry of a long gun (for self protection) in a city, is watch what is behind your target. That little .223 will go through just about any person,
That's what VMAX's are for!

They go in, and if anything comes out, it's just pieces....

Sorry, couldn't resist after I saw the name of our new forum member above.

VMAX

imported post

I'll take that as a compliment. VMAX was my close friends call sign while he was driving F-15's. Stands for Velocity to the Maximum. I also use VMAX bullets, definition is the same :cool:

Stork

imported post

VMAX wrote:
Stork: Welcome from one newby to another. I gather from the discussion that you are active duty & I see most of the discussion deals w/carrying your AR an what might happen. As a commissioned officer in another life time I can tell you, if for some reason you were arrested, you can be sure the Corps will not take kindly to bad publicity. Of more concern would be how important is that stripe on your arm.

I support the right to carry open/concealed but sometimes caution is the better part of valor. :cool:
Yup after talking to some of my SNCOs I'd be in a ton of shit back here if it went badly and I cannot risk that. I just picked up CPL this month so the last thing I want to do is loose it. They told me that even though its my right and isn't technically illegal the mere act of getting arrested would give them enough to bust me down if they really wanted to. I can deal with a little ticket but loosing rank and pay is not something I am willing to risk. Hell I'll give up my brand new rifle before I give up rank and the additional respect.

VMAX

imported post

Stork: That's using the ol' noggin {:{)}

I don't care if you wear them on your sleeve or shoulder you don't want to loose them. :cool:

Stork

imported post

Its not about them trampling the constitution. It is about appearances. As a Marine I am expected to hold myself to a higher standard and by getting arrested for disorderly conduct or murder it looks a million times worse than what it really is. If the average person gets arrested the news reads "Man arrested for _____." Now if I get arrested the news will say "Today a US Marine was arrested for _____" which makes the Corps as a whole look bad. If the headlines read "Today a Marine was illegally arrested for do nothing wrong" things might be slightly different but that is not reality. Even if I am right, I am causing negative publicity for the Corps. That negative publicity is why I would get in trouble. Yes I may have been right but I was still arrested. Plus military life is not the same as civilian life and there is much more to just being right or wrong in situations like this.

Pointman have you ever had the balls to serve our country? If not you are way out of line with that balls comment. If so well then I have no idea why you would not understand how bad getting in any trouble can be and why I do not want to risk that.

VMAX

imported post

Pointman: I realize this is an open forum & that we can offer our opinions. However, your comments regarding Stork not having "balls" enough to take a stand or that the officer's/nco's over him are against the Constitution because they didn't encourage a questionable action is totally out of line.

This thread started out w/the question of openly carrying an AR-15 around the streets of Madison, WI. Why an AR-15? Stork doesn't own a pistol/revolver. Stork realizes he has a legal right to open carry, but he's showing good judgement in deciding not to.

It's not a question of lacking intestinal fortitude or backbone, but being on active duty (no matter what military service) requires you to move to a higher standard because your actions not only reflect on yourself but on your service.

How many years have us Vietnam vets read the headlines: Vietnam Vets did this or that. We all were painted w/the same brush.

Stork: Using common sense & keeping your head on straight will take you far in the Corps. Semper Fi