• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Michigan gun purchase Taxation Question

Yooper

imported post

cebu_4_2 wrote:
Sorry but I could not find anything posted on this subject.

"MCL 123.1102 which provides, in pertinent part: A local unit of government shall not impose special taxation on, enact or enforce any ordinance or regulation pertaining to, or regulate in any other manner the ownership, registration, purchase, sale, transfer, transportation, or possession of pistols or other firearms, ammunition for pistols or other firearms, or components of pistols or other firearms, except as otherwise provided by federal law or a law of this state."

In purchasing guns in Michigan is the 6% state sales tax still pertinent from resident dealers?
Local unit of government is anything less than the state (County, City, Village, Township). They can't tax you more than the state sales tax on firearms.

Infact, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it's illegal for a City, County, Village, or Township to have ANY additional sales tax on anything.

Yooper

imported post

springerdave wrote:
Yooper, might not be extra, but they are taxing my eyeballs out in Laurium. springerdave.

eta.

If by that you mean property taxes, then I'd have to agree with you. Somehow, in this economy my township decided that my property increased $11,000!!!!

How the heck did that happen? Especially when everyone else I know that lives in the township had theirs go down

PDinDetroit

imported post

Yooper wrote:
springerdave wrote:
Yooper, might not be extra, but they are taxing my eyeballs out in Laurium. springerdave.

eta.

If by that you mean property taxes, then I'd have to agree with you. Somehow, in this economy my township decided that my property increased $11,000!!!!

How the heck did that happen? Especially when everyone else I know that lives in the township had theirs go down
Your property is more valuable because you protect it with firearms!

That and the scores of Wild Blueberries, Thimbleberries, etc.

I miss not having gotten to the Jam Pot this year!

Yooper

imported post

PDinDetroit wrote:
Your property is more valuable because you protect it with firearms!

That and the scores of Wild Blueberries, Thimbleberries, etc.

I miss not having gotten to the Jam Pot this year!
I've been getting lots of Thimbleberries, raspberries, and sugar plums (aka Juneberry), Black berries are now just starting to ripen. I figure some pies in January or February will taste good.

No bears seen YET while picking, but there's LOTS of evidence that they're around.