• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question about NC/SC OC

T Vance

imported post

Hello, I'm from Michigan. The fiance and myself have been talking about eventually relocating. We really like South Carolina when we visited. My major concern when I move somewhere is that the state is rather gun friendly. From what I remember reading, South Carolina doesn't allow OC. How about North Carolina?

Is there a link you can point me to about NC's gun laws? Is it a gun friendly state?

Thanks in advance

JDriver1.8t

imported post

You are correct that SC does not allow OC. You can transport your firearm in the glovebox in SC. That is the extent of the SC laws that I really know.

In NC, we are a relatively gun friendly state. We do have a lot of dumb laws on the books still though. The above site, and reading what handgunlaw.us has to say will give you a lot of info.

Myrighttocarry

imported post

I stole this off another thread but this is an important one.

Going Armed to the Terror of the Public

This is a common law offense (272 N.C. 535; 32 N.C. App 495).

A person guilty of this offense

(1) arms himself or herself with unusual and dangerous weapons (firearm)

(2) for the purpose of terrifying others

(3) and goes about on public highways

(4) in a manner to cause terror to others.

In order to be charged, all four conditions need to be met.
[font=BernhardModBT,Bold]

[align=left]D. Transporting Weapons[/align]
[/font]

[align=left]Given this general prohibition of carrying concealed weapons, individuals must be ever vigilant to ensure their particular situation cannot be construed as concealing a weapon, either on or about them, without being properly authorized to do so with a valid North Carolina, or recognized out-of-state concealed handgun permit. Therefore, the permittee's accessibility to the weapon is of prime importance. It is for these reasons, that when transporting a weapon in a vehicle, even greater care must be exercised to ensure that the weapon is not concealed, and within the ready access to an occupant of the vehicle. North Carolina law does not specifically address how to transport a weapon in an automobile. Therefore, the central question becomes: when is the weapon concealed and readily accessible to an occupant of an automobile? Obviously, a weapon would be concealed and readily accessible, and therefore in violation of North Carolina law, if it were placed in such areas of a vehicle as under the seat of the automobile; in a bag in the back seat; or in some other manner is covered or hidden within the easy reach of an occupant of the vehicle. It
is our recommendation that firearms should not be carried in a glove compartment regardless of whether the compartment is locked or not. While a weapon carried openly in an automobile would not be concealed, there are other problems specific to this method of carrying a weapon. The principal drawback, of course, is in the event of an individual being stopped by a law enforcement official, the officer may not readily know that individual's purpose and intent for carrying a weapon. As such, it is imperative that an individual immediately notify an officer of the presence of any weapon in the automobile, for the officer's and the vehicle's occupants' safety. Another obvious drawback is that a valuable weapon may be in plain view for potential thieves to see. The prohibition to carrying concealed weapons applies not only to handguns and other weapons commonly thought of as being easily hidden, but also to "long guns" as well. Therefore, shotguns and rifles concealed behind the seat of pickup trucks, and elsewhere in other vehicles, could similarly violate North Carolina law.

[/align]

chiefjason

imported post

GATTTOTP is not nearly as menacing or dangerous as it sounds in real life. If you are minding your own business and carrying you are not GATTTOTP. Though some folks try to push that viewpoint, and unfortunately some of them are LEO's. FWIW, IANAL, personal opinion here.