• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hello from Wisconsin!

GlockMeisterG21

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Hello! Greetings from Wisconsin! I'm posting in your forum tonight because of a I'm trying to put pressure on a company to reverse their "No Firearms" policy. The company I speak of is the Marcus Corporation which owns quite a few movie theaters in Iowa, Illinois, Minnesota, North Dakota, Nebraska, Ohio, and Wisconsin. After being asked to leave from one of their theaters I sent this email off to corporate.

To whom it may concern,

I and a friend recently visited one of your theaters this past Saturday. Specifically the Ridge Theater in New Berlin, WI. After paying admission we went to sit and wait for the movie to start. A short time later I was confronted by 3 employees, one of the a manager named Mike, and was asked to place the firearm that I was legally carrying in my car because of a "No Firearms Policy" that you corporation has. Since I cannot, in good conscience, patronize any establishment that does not recognize my constitutionally guaranteed rights I asked for a refund and left the building. Since then I have been told by a acquaintance of mine who contacted your Guest Relations Coordinator,a Bridget Hughes, that you policy is to follow state and community laws in this case. The Wisconsin Constitution states...

Right to keep and bear arms. ARTICLE I SECTION 25. The people have the right to keep and bear arms for security, defense, hunting, recreation or any other lawful purpose.

This can be found here...

http://www.legis.state.wi.us/rsb/unannotated_wisconst.pdf

As for the community, all local ordinances are preempted by 66.0409(2) which states...

Except as provided in subs. (3) and (4), no political subdivision may...regulate the sale, purchase, purchase dely, transfer, ownership, use, keeping, possession, bearing, transportation or taxation of any firearm...unless the ordinance or resolution is the same as or similar to, and no more stringent than, a state statute.

If this is indeed you policy then all I ask is that your theaters in WI be informed of such so something like this doesn't happen again. All I want to come out if this incident is for you to have a more informed staff and to be able to patronize your theaters again. I thank you for your time and eagerly await your response.

Sincerely
Name Redacted

Here was the reply...

Sent: Wed 8/19/09 7:40 AM
Cc: Tom Kissinger (tomkissinger@marcuscorp.com)

In response to your concerns about not permitting our patrons to carry weapons into out theaters, please understand that The Marcus Corporation does not allow its customers to carry firearms onto its premises. We believe this policy helps us to provide a safe environment for our guests. We have also been assured by counsel that our policy is consistent with all laws and does not violate the Wisconsin Constitution.

Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention and I hope you better appreciate our position.

If you could just take a few minutes and shoot and email off to Bruce Olson (bruceolson@marcustheatres.com) letting him know your disapproval of this policy and/or your intention to not patronize any Marcus establishment until they reverse their policy. Thank you all for taking the time to read this post and for your efforts in this and any matter relating to out Second Amendment Rights!

hugh jarmis

Centurion
imported post

As per our members experience and subsequent communications with executives at Marcus Corporation please be aware that Marcus Corporation doesn't support your right to carry. Oh wait... they support your right to carry. Just as long as its not on "their" property. Hypocrisy at its finest.

As such please be avoid patronizing Marcus Corporation establishments in the future:

A list of hotel/resort properties can be found here:

http://www.marcusresorts.com/hotel_portfolio/hotel_portfolio.asp

A list of Marcus owned theatres is here:

http://www.marcustheatres.com/index_sub.cfm?pageid=subpages/locations.cfm

As we have many choices in movie theatres and resert/hotel options it should be very easy to avoid patronizing a business that does not support your rights as law-abiding citizens.

Carry on (just not at Marcus properties)