Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 41

Thread: MOC newsletter

  1. #1
    Regular Member Generaldet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    President, CLSD, Inc., Oxford, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,073

    Post imported post

    I'm pleased to announce that MOC will provide local businesses with an opportunity to advertise in our newsletter. This opportunity is open to all local businesses for a very affordable price, with all funds will go to help supprt MOC. This prgram not only has the potential to be a steady source of donations, but it gives smaller companies the chance to reach a larger customer base through advertising without going broke in the process.

    I'm looking for a few volunteers to help spread the word in their communities. All you need to do is mention it to some stores in your area, i.e. gun clubs, shooting ranges, sporting goods stores, restaurants, etc. You're best bet is to aim for smaller "mom and pop" places or franchises since they don't have to go through all the corporate red tape. Generally you can get an answer right there on the spot. Start with the places that you frequent often, maybe you already know the owners, or maybe you have a company of your own that you would like to advertise.
    If you are not the sales type you can simply mention it to them to gauge their interest and have them contact me for the details. I'll take care of the selling.

    Black and white ads

    3.5x2 (business card) = $10
    3.5x4 = $15
    7.5x5 = $25

    Color ads add $5

    Businesses can either provide a business card for their ad, or they can create one from scratch and just email me the file for their logo if they want.

    Hopefully we can get 30 businesses to advertise by the November newsletter.

    If you have someone that is interested, have them contact me at jroshek@miopencarry.org


  2. #2
    Regular Member FatboyCykes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Warren, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    942

    Post imported post

    This, is a great idea. Hopefully we can get some of these businesses interested.

    We're up to what about 550 MI members give or take that might receive the newsletter? Might be good info to have when trying to "sell" the space. Also, safe to assume those prices are monthly fees?

  3. #3
    Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Lansing area, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    6,446

    Post imported post

    FatboyCykes wrote:
    This, is a great idea. Hopefully we can get some of these businesses interested.

    We're up to what about 550 MI members give or take that might receive the newsletter? Might be good info to have when trying to "sell" the space. Also, safe to assume those prices are monthly fees?
    Well only paying members get the newsletter, one of the perks of joining. The 550 members are those that have registered with Michigan under their name on this forum. Paying members are how shall I say...less than 550.
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

    *The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

  4. #4
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,544

    Post imported post

    Venator wrote:
    FatboyCykes wrote:
    This, is a great idea.* Hopefully we can get some of these businesses interested.*

    We're up to what about 550 MI members give or take that might receive the newsletter?* Might be good info to have when trying to "sell" the space.* Also, safe to assume those prices are monthly fees?
    Well only paying members get the newsletter, one of the perks of joining.* The 550 members are those that have registered with Michigan under their name on this forum.* Paying members are how shall I say...less than 550.
    This doesn't make sense.

    Either

    1) I'm a paying member, and a benefit is a newsletter. (No ads, my membership pays for it).

    or

    2) I'm an advertiser, paying for the newsletter to be widely distributed. (No one pays for the newsletter because the advertisers are).

    Advertisers want a LOT of audience. That's one of the things that entice to advertise. Who would want to pay to advertise to 50-150 people, when there could be 500-1000 that end up viewing it (or more)?

    Why not make it available online as a PDF, as well as a mail-out/email?

  5. #5
    Regular Member Generaldet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    President, CLSD, Inc., Oxford, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,073

    Post imported post

    It's important to remember that this system goes hand in hand with the number of memberships we have. The more memberships means more interest in advertising with us because of more readers. More readers means a larger potential customer base and upside to businesses. Which means means we can charge slightly more for advertising and create more donations for MOC. Not to mention the donations just from the membership cost.

  6. #6
    Regular Member Generaldet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    President, CLSD, Inc., Oxford, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,073

    Post imported post

    Zig, I think I understand what you are trying to point out. Correct me if I am wrong.

    As a paying member one of the benefits is the newsletter. There is no actual cost involved with creating or distributing it (to my knowledge) only time to put it together and since it will be emailed there are no printing costs.

    The main reason that the ad space is so cheap is due to the current number of members. There are plenty of businesses that would be willing to pay $10 every other month if it means reaching 50-100 more people. Don't forget word of mouth as well, those 50-100 tell 3 people now your up to 150-300.

    Is that correct? Or are you simply stating that is should be available to everyone?

  7. #7
    Regular Member Springfield Smitty's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    OKC, OK (Heading back to MI very soon - thank goodness)
    Posts
    296

    Post imported post

    The problem for businesses out here is that they will not want to pay to advertise to the other side of the state. If the newsletter goes out to all registered members on Open Carry.org (not paying members of MOC) then it would be more beneficial for businesses on our side of the state to advertise.
    -U.S. Army Veteran (2002-2005) 11BVB4 (Infantry, Airborne, Ranger, some other stuff) SGT (E-5)
    -Public Service Professional - I've done it all: LEO, FF, and EMT
    -Certified NRA Instructor
    -CPL / CCW (whatever other acronym you can think of for carrying a concealed pistol) Instructor
    -Co-founder of OKOCA

    I am not an attorney. None of my statements should be accepted, nor are they intended to be offered, as legal advice or fact of law.

  8. #8
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,544

    Post imported post

    Generaldet wrote:
    Zig, I think I understand what you are trying to point out. Correct me if I am wrong.

    As a paying member one of the benefits is the newsletter. There is no actual cost involved with creating or distributing it (to my knowledge) only time to put it together and since it will be emailed there are no printing costs.

    The main reason that the ad space is so cheap is due to the current number of members. There are plenty of businesses that would be willing to pay $10 every other month if it means reaching 50-100 more people. Don't forget word of mouth as well, those 50-100 tell 3 people now your up to 150-300.

    Is that correct? Or are you simply stating that is should be available to everyone?
    What is the benefit to keeping it to members only? Is it really going to provide that much more benefit to members, that non-members will want to pay to become a part?

    Just curious.

  9. #9
    Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Lansing area, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    6,446

    Post imported post

    zigziggityzoo wrote:
    Generaldet wrote:
    Zig, I think I understand what you are trying to point out. Correct me if I am wrong.

    As a paying member one of the benefits is the newsletter. There is no actual cost involved with creating or distributing it (to my knowledge) only time to put it together and since it will be emailed there are no printing costs.

    The main reason that the ad space is so cheap is due to the current number of members. There are plenty of businesses that would be willing to pay $10 every other month if it means reaching 50-100 more people. Don't forget word of mouth as well, those 50-100 tell 3 people now your up to 150-300.

    Is that correct? Or are you simply stating that is should be available to everyone?
    What is the benefit to keeping it to members only? Is it really going to provide that much more benefit to members, that non-members will want to pay to become a part?

    Just curious.
    Well, one of the benefits of paying is the newsletter. Nothing is stopping someone from creating a newsletter and posting it on the forum for all to see. We are trying to create more benefits for paying members. This will take time and planning.

    I don't think MOC want's to do that. We have neither the volunteers or the time to do so. Dr. Todd is editing the newsletter and Generaldet is trying to see if there is interest in advertisers. Simple. If we don't get anyone to advertise the newsletter will still be distributed to MOC members.
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

    *The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

  10. #10
    Regular Member FatboyCykes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Warren, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    942

    Post imported post

    Bravo to all involved.

    As for me, I'm not looking for any other benefits as a paying member, I'll support a worthy cause w/o all the frills all the same

    Matter of fact, I don't drink coffee, and my wife only uses the biggest cups she can find, so heck, if you want to run some kind of legal raffle or w/e I'll donate my MOC coffee cup back as a prize.

    ...or trade it for a coin...

  11. #11
    Regular Member Generaldet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    President, CLSD, Inc., Oxford, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,073

    Post imported post

    I agree, this is a program that we are testing. Personally I believe while it will start out small it has a lot of potential. The success of this really depends on the effort that is put forth. We can say that nobody will do it or we can say it will be a huge success, but we won't know until we try.

  12. #12
    Regular Member Generaldet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    President, CLSD, Inc., Oxford, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,073

    Post imported post

    Anyone have a chance to talk with any of their local businesses, or places that they frequent?

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Jackson , Michigan, USA
    Posts
    985

    Post imported post

    how much is it 10.00 every other month if so count me in for the cab company!!!!

  14. #14
    Regular Member Generaldet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    President, CLSD, Inc., Oxford, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,073

    Post imported post

    Yes, a business card size ad is only $10. The newsletter is scheduled to come out every other month at this point, so it would be $10 per issue.

    If you want you can either scan a business card and email it to me or you can just email me the info you want on there along with any company logo you may use.

    Thanks Cabman! So far we have 2 ads for our next issue. Anyone else?

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Jackson , Michigan, USA
    Posts
    985

    Post imported post

    who do i pay if its you ill give it to you in south haven.

  16. #16
    Regular Member Generaldet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    President, CLSD, Inc., Oxford, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,073

    Post imported post

    Any other businesses that are interested??

  17. #17
    Regular Member tygereye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Waterford, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    347

    Post imported post

    PM sent...

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    MOC IT / Midland, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    416

    Post imported post

    now that i see this.. yea...
    email my and i'll see what I can do.

    sound@northernss.com


    Thanks!

  19. #19
    Regular Member Generaldet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    President, CLSD, Inc., Oxford, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,073

    Post imported post

    So far we have had some interest in the advertising. I'd like to thank all of you that have pm'd me with some business information. I am following up on those leads and will post any updates as we go along.

    Also, when you happen to be discussing the advertising ask them if they would be interested in putting up a "Lawful Carry Welcome" sticker in their window. That way we can add them to our OC friendly business list.

    Thanks again!

  20. #20
    Regular Member Taurus850CIA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    , Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,071

    Post imported post

    I think Jason would put up a sticker. I had pamphlets and cards on his counter for a long time. I also worked there informally for a few weeks, OC'ing the entire time.
    "Fault always lies in the same place, my fine babies: with him weak enough to lay blame." - Cort

    Gun control is like trying to reduce Drunk Driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

    Sentio aliquos togatos contra me conspirare.

    The answer to "1984" is "
    1776"

    With freedom comes much responsibility. It is for this reason so many are loathe to exercise it.

  21. #21
    Regular Member Generaldet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    President, CLSD, Inc., Oxford, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,073

    Post imported post

    I would like to thank Andy from seatcarry.com for his interest in advertising with MOC. Also, a big thank you to all those who expressed interest so far. I have contact all of the leads that were given to me, please keep them coming!

  22. #22
    Regular Member Generaldet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    President, CLSD, Inc., Oxford, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,073

    Post imported post

    Any other leads out there?

  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Burton, Michigan
    Posts
    3,361

    Post imported post

    TTT

  24. #24
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    MOC IT / Midland, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    416

    Post imported post

    hey... i never got back to you about my own production company.... send me a pm about the advertising.

  25. #25
    Regular Member Generaldet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    President, CLSD, Inc., Oxford, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,073

    Post imported post

    Any word on this? Release date?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •