• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

MOC newsletter

Generaldet

President, CLSD, Inc., Oxford, Michigan, USA
imported post

I'm pleased to announce that MOC will provide local businesses with an opportunity to advertise in our newsletter. This opportunity is open to all local businesses for a very affordable price, with all funds will go to help supprt MOC. This prgram not only has the potential to be a steady source of donations, but it gives smaller companies the chance to reach a larger customer base through advertising without going broke in the process.

I'm looking for a few volunteers to help spread the word in their communities. All you need to do is mention it to some stores in your area, i.e. gun clubs, shooting ranges, sporting goods stores, restaurants, etc. You're best bet is to aim for smaller "mom and pop" places or franchises since they don't have to go through all the corporate red tape. Generally you can get an answer right there on the spot. Start with the places that you frequent often, maybe you already know the owners, or maybe you have a company of your own that you would like to advertise.
If you are not the sales type you can simply mention it to them to gauge their interest and have them contact me for the details. I'll take care of the selling.

Black and white ads

3.5x2 (business card) = $10
3.5x4 = $15
7.5x5 = $25

Color ads add $5

Businesses can either provide a business card for their ad, or they can create one from scratch and just email me the file for their logo if they want.

Hopefully we can get 30 businesses to advertise by the November newsletter.

If you have someone that is interested, have them contact me at jroshek@miopencarry.org

FatboyCykes

imported post

This, is a great idea. Hopefully we can get some of these businesses interested.

We're up to what about 550 MI members give or take that might receive the newsletter? Might be good info to have when trying to "sell" the space. Also, safe to assume those prices are monthly fees?

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

FatboyCykes wrote:
This, is a great idea. Hopefully we can get some of these businesses interested.

We're up to what about 550 MI members give or take that might receive the newsletter? Might be good info to have when trying to "sell" the space. Also, safe to assume those prices are monthly fees?
Well only paying members get the newsletter, one of the perks of joining. The 550 members are those that have registered with Michigan under their name on this forum. Paying members are how shall I say...less than 550.

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Venator wrote:
FatboyCykes wrote:
This, is a great idea.  Hopefully we can get some of these businesses interested. 

We're up to what about 550 MI members give or take that might receive the newsletter?  Might be good info to have when trying to "sell" the space.  Also, safe to assume those prices are monthly fees?
Well only paying members get the newsletter, one of the perks of joining.  The 550 members are those that have registered with Michigan under their name on this forum.  Paying members are how shall I say...less than 550.

This doesn't make sense.

Either

1) I'm a paying member, and a benefit is a newsletter. (No ads, my membership pays for it).

or

2) I'm an advertiser, paying for the newsletter to be widely distributed. (No one pays for the newsletter because the advertisers are).

Advertisers want a LOT of audience. That's one of the things that entice to advertise. Who would want to pay to advertise to 50-150 people, when there could be 500-1000 that end up viewing it (or more)?

Why not make it available online as a PDF, as well as a mail-out/email?

Generaldet

imported post

It's important to remember that this system goes hand in hand with the number of memberships we have. The more memberships means more interest in advertising with us because of more readers. More readers means a larger potential customer base and upside to businesses. Which means means we can charge slightly more for advertising and create more donations for MOC. Not to mention the donations just from the membership cost.

Generaldet

imported post

Zig, I think I understand what you are trying to point out. Correct me if I am wrong.

As a paying member one of the benefits is the newsletter. There is no actual cost involved with creating or distributing it (to my knowledge) only time to put it together and since it will be emailed there are no printing costs.

The main reason that the ad space is so cheap is due to the current number of members. There are plenty of businesses that would be willing to pay $10 every other month if it means reaching 50-100 more people. Don't forget word of mouth as well, those 50-100 tell 3 people now your up to 150-300.

Is that correct? Or are you simply stating that is should be available to everyone?

Springfield Smitty

OKC, OK (Heading back to MI very soon - thank good
imported post

The problem for businesses out here is that they will not want to pay to advertise to the other side of the state. If the newsletter goes out to all registered members on Open Carry.org (not paying members of MOC) then it would be more beneficial for businesses on our side of the state to advertise.

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Generaldet wrote:
Zig, I think I understand what you are trying to point out. Correct me if I am wrong.

As a paying member one of the benefits is the newsletter. There is no actual cost involved with creating or distributing it (to my knowledge) only time to put it together and since it will be emailed there are no printing costs.

The main reason that the ad space is so cheap is due to the current number of members. There are plenty of businesses that would be willing to pay $10 every other month if it means reaching 50-100 more people. Don't forget word of mouth as well, those 50-100 tell 3 people now your up to 150-300.

Is that correct? Or are you simply stating that is should be available to everyone?

What is the benefit to keeping it to members only? Is it really going to provide that much more benefit to members, that non-members will want to pay to become a part?

Just curious.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

zigziggityzoo wrote:
Generaldet wrote:

What is the benefit to keeping it to members only? Is it really going to provide that much more benefit to members, that non-members will want to pay to become a part?

Just curious.

Well, one of the benefits of paying is the newsletter. Nothing is stopping someone from creating a newsletter and posting it on the forum for all to see. We are trying to create more benefits for paying members. This will take time and planning.

I don't think MOC want's to do that. We have neither the volunteers or the time to do so. Dr. Todd is editing the newsletter and Generaldet is trying to see if there is interest in advertisers. Simple. If we don't get anyone to advertise the newsletter will still be distributed to MOC members.

FatboyCykes

imported post

Bravo to all involved.

As for me, I'm not looking for any other benefits as a paying member, I'll support a worthy cause w/o all the frills all the same :)

Matter of fact, I don't drink coffee, and my wife only uses the biggest cups she can find, so heck, if you want to run some kind of legal raffle or w/e I'll donate my MOC coffee cup back as a prize.

...or trade it for a coin...

Generaldet

imported post

I agree, this is a program that we are testing. Personally I believe while it will start out small it has a lot of potential. The success of this really depends on the effort that is put forth. We can say that nobody will do it or we can say it will be a huge success, but we won't know until we try.

Generaldet

imported post

Yes, a business card size ad is only $10. The newsletter is scheduled to come out every other month at this point, so it would be $10 per issue.

If you want you can either scan a business card and email it to me or you can just email me the info you want on there along with any company logo you may use.

Thanks Cabman! So far we have 2 ads for our next issue. Anyone else?

Generaldet

imported post

So far we have had some interest in the advertising. I'd like to thank all of you that have pm'd me with some business information. I am following up on those leads and will post any updates as we go along.

Also, when you happen to be discussing the advertising ask them if they would be interested in putting up a "Lawful Carry Welcome" sticker in their window. That way we can add them to our OC friendly business list.

Thanks again!

Taurus850CIA

imported post

I think Jason would put up a sticker. I had pamphlets and cards on his counter for a long time. I also worked there informally for a few weeks, OC'ing the entire time.