• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ceasefire NJ Director expresses alarm at success of OpenCarry.org

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

http://blog.nj.com/njv_bryan_miller/2009/08/open_carry_of_guns_logical_dir.html

'Open Carry' of guns - logical direction of gun lobby's campaign
Posted by Bryan Miller August 19, 2009 6:05AM
Categories: Hot Topics, Law & Order, Policy Watch

I imagine most have seen some news coverage of two incidents in the last week of men carrying guns openly outside sites where President Obama was speaking. Monday, two men were seen carrying semiautomatic assault rifles outside the venue in Phoenix where the President was addressing the VFW. You can view a CNN report on the incident at http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/08/17/obama.protest.rifle/index.html#cnnSTCVideo

Some points need to be made about this craziness. First, it's crazy, indeed. Second, it's legal in many states (thankfully, not New Jersey). Third, such incidents are only the opening salvoes in a campaign to make open carrying of guns in public accepted behavior everywhere in our country. There's even an organization whose raison d'etre is promotion of open carry (see http://opencarry.org/). These are the shock troops of the gun lobby. And, they are not going away. We're going to see more of them and we'll be seeing increasing incidents of open carry, not just at big events for publicity, but at grocery stores, at concerts, on the street, in places of worship.

The most important point, though, is that such open carrying of guns is a logical step in the gun lobby's campaign to arm everyone everywhere. For, an armed society is one that will make the gun lobby's patrons in the gun industry rich.

Remember, the NRA and its colleagues are the same people who almost succeeded last month in gaining federal legislation to force our state to allow out-of-state holders of permits to carry concealed guns, including assault guns, to do so in New Jersey. And, these are the same people who support the carrying of concealed guns in bars and restaurants, even churches, and have opposed requiring all purchasers of guns to pass background checks.

Fact is - the gun lobby will stop at nothing to encourage gun sales. Nothing.

So, unless you, your friends, family members, neighbors, co-workers and etc. want the America desired by the gun lobby and portrayed effectively by its open carry shock troops, it's time to consider the consequences of allowing the NRA and its cohorts the sort of power they've accumulated in Washington. This is serious.

You can help stop the 'slippery slope (ironic, eh?)' toward open carrying of guns in public by, most importantly, finding out where candidates for public office stand on gun issues and voting accordingly. It's votes that count above all. Does a candidate seek to move toward safety for our homes, schools and communities by working for stronger gun laws? Or, does a candidate ape the NRA mantra of 'we just need to enforce the laws we have'? If you want to place obstacles in front of the gun lobby's open carry shock troops, you'll vote for the candidate who seeks stronger gun laws.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Mike wrote:
There's even an organization whose raison d'etre is promotion of open carry (see OCDO. These are the shock troops of the gun lobby. And, they are not going away.

Funny, I don't feel like a shock troop. :p

Mike wrote:
The most important point, though, is that such open carrying of guns is a logical step in the gun lobby's campaign to arm everyone everywhere. For, an armed society is one that will make the gun lobby's patrons in the gun industry rich.

That's silly. How could the logical next step be to arm everyone everywhere? Ideologists and hyperbole....always attracted to each other...

Only asmall portion of the population will ever actively and persistently walk around carrying a gun.

Mike wrote:
...it's time to consider the consequences of allowing the NRA and its cohorts the sort of power they've accumulated in Washington. This is serious.
Here it is. Again. The NRA (at work for you again!) just flips them out.

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

ROTFL! :lol::lol:

Oh? Sowe're "Shock Troops" now! But they're cronies are "Storm Troopers" andmarch to the tune of a John Williams score.

They also forget that the election of BHO did more to increase gun sales than anything else in the past 10 years. If they didn't want that they should have voted for someone else.

Lastly, what do we have to do with the gun lobby? A lot of themainstream gun organizations don't readily support what we do.

I do have to say I like this quote (besides "Shock Troops") :
These are the shock troops of the gun lobby. And, they are not going away.

Statesman

imported post

Good grief. Are they still arguing on the same old premise of making the gun industry rich? Typical liberals who don't understand supply and demand, and the underlying reason for the demand.

Deanimator

imported post

Remember, the NRA and its colleagues are the same people who almost succeeded last month in gaining federal legislation to force our state to allow out-of-state holders of permits to carry concealed guns, including assault guns, to do so in New Jersey.
I want one of those "assault guns"!

stugg_ac.jpg

DKSuddeth

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

I'm pleased. Anything I can contribute that aids in the festering apoplectic hysterical rantings of Bryan Miller, I'll do twice as often.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

These hoplophobes are so terrified of what they might do if they were ever let off their self-imposed leashes that they cannot help but think that everyone suffers the same sort of panic as they do.

Either that or they are terrified of being made to be responsible for themselves, instead of having the nanny state tell them what to do, how to do it, and when and where to do it. Again, they cannot help but think that everyone suffers the same sort of panic as they do.

stay safe.

skidmark

G

imported post

finding out where candidates for public office stand on gun issues and voting accordingly. It's votes that count above all

I already vote this way but I vote for the pro gun candidates.

IanB

imported post

HankT wrote:
Funny, I don't feel like a shock troop. :p
Hank, you have to actually perform the act of open carry before you can make that statement. Just because you are a member of the forum doesn't mean you are an OC'er or even better... one of the "shock troops". Have you OC'd yet? 'Cuz last I knew, you have never OC'd... you just like to hang out here on our forum and troll.