• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Si View Metro District

jddssc121

imported post

Noticed a sign that said no firearms. sent the below in to their office.

It appears theSi View Metro Districtis illegally prohibiting firearm possession in parks. I noticed a posted sign in theSi view park ( in the field adjacent to the swimming pool) that prohibits possession of a firearm.This rule is a state firearms law preemption violation, and cannot be enforced. This rulein conflict with State Law. RCW 9.41.290 specifies the State preempts the entire domain of firearms, and local ordinances/municipalities cannot pass rules that are more restrictive than, or inconflict with,state law (local municipalities may, however, regulate the discharge of firearms as desired).The Si View MetroDistrict ruleis more stringent than state law as RCW 9.41.300 does not restrict the possession of a firearm in any park. Also please find attached a memo from the Washington State Attorney General regarding this matter.

Attempting to enforce this rule indirectly, by trespassing individuals, is also not legal. This too is addressed in the Attorney General's issued opinion; the relevant section starts on page 5 of the attached document.
[size=][/size]
Who can I work with to get this rectified?

jddssc121

imported post

and got this back

Hello

You emailed the correct person to work with on this issue. After reading the RCW’s it appears you are correct. Please allow me to research further. Concluding my research the District’s action will follow the proper procedures in enforcing appropriate ordinances as dictated by the State of Washington law. If, as it appears, the District is illegally prohibiting firearm possession we will rectify the situation appropriately.

Thank you for taking the time to address this issue.

jddssc121

imported post

Just got another email. they're going to update the sign in the park in question.