Thread: Recording consent sticker

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar

Post imported post

Print this on sticky back paper and wear on your shirt. Adjust the size to met your own needs.
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

President, CLSD, Inc., Oxford, Michigan, USA

Post imported post

That's a pretty cool idea. I like it.

Do you really wanna go there with me?, Michigan, USA

Post imported post

You're just looking for a billy club upside your head aren't you?
    United we STAND!

Post imported post

Heh heh, love it.

Bronson
    Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

Post imported post

I think it is unfortunate that you guys have to notify the other party about the recording...

As long as you are taking part in the conversation, you should be able to record it, period.

Good idea with the sticker though!

Post imported post

Print to an Iron-on then Iron on a nice new t-shirt.:celebrate
    Dave
    http://www.survivalfox.com/
    "Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom". - John F. Kennedy, former U.S. President

Post imported post

ScottyT wrote:
    I think it is unfortunate that you guys have to notify the other party about the recording...
    Here in Michigan, as long as you are party to a conversation you are allowed to record it without others' knowledge or consent. However, sometimes it is beneficial to let others know you are recording. A lot of times, people (including LEOs)get REAL polite,calm, and truthfulwhen they know they are being recorded.
    "The principle of self-defense, even involving weapons and bloodshed, has never been condemned, even by Gandhi . . ."--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr

“He who cannot protect himself or his nearest and dearest or their honor by non-violently facing death, may and ought to do so by violently dealing with the oppressor. He who can do neither of the two is a burden.”--M. K. Gandhi

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." --M. K. Gandhi

Post imported post

DanM wrote:
    ScottyT wrote:
    Here in Michigan, as long as you are party to a conversation you are allowed to record it without others' knowledge or consent. However, sometimes it is beneficial to let others know you are recording. A lot of times, people (including LEOs)get REAL polite,calm, and truthfulwhen they know they are being recorded.
    I see. I assumed that a requirement to notify spawned the sticker idea. Guess that is what I get for assuming...

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar

Post imported post

ScottyT wrote:
    DanM wrote:
    ScottyT wrote:
    I see. I assumed that a requirement to notify spawned the sticker idea. Guess that is what I get for assuming...
    In Michigan you do not have to inform if you are part of the conversation. Some Michiganders think you do have to inform. The sticker is optional. If it gets more people recording and feeling better about it allthe better.

An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

Post imported post

Have you or anyone had there recording device confiscated during an encounter with a LEO? I wonder if you are wearing a shirt that doesn't have a chest pocket and you are holding it in your hand, wouldthe LEO consider that threatening?

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

T.J. wrote:
    Have you or anyoneÂ* had there recording device confiscated during an eccounter with a LEO?Â* I wonder if you are wearing a shirt that doesn't have a chest pocket and you are holding it in your hand, wouldÂ*Â*the LEO consider that threatening?
    Yeah, actually, my dad did, yesterday.

He got it back today. One more piece of tinder laid on the pile, and it's been a REALLY dry year.

Post imported post

dfox wrote:
    Print to an Iron-on then Iron on a nice new t-shirt.:celebrate
    Love that idea!! MOC on the back, and this on the front...

Post imported post

Was the encounter still on the recorder? I don't see how they can do that. They could erase whatever they don't like.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

T.J. wrote:
    Was the encounter still on the recorder?Â* I don't see how they can do that.Â* They could erase whatever they don't like.
    Actually, yes. The guy didn't realize it was still recording. At the end there was 3 hours of silence until the battery died. It was still dead when it was returned, making us think it was never accessed.

Post imported post

zigziggityzoo wrote:
    T.J. wrote:
    Have you or anyone had there recording device confiscated during an eccounter with a LEO? I wonder if you are wearing a shirt that doesn't have a chest pocket and you are holding it in your hand, wouldthe LEO consider that threatening?
    Yeah, actually, my dad did, yesterday.

He got it back today. One more piece of tinder laid on the pile, and it's been a REALLY dry year.
    Boy ought that to be an interesting story. During a Terry Stop, they are allowed to confiscate weapons, and evidence used in a crime. NOTHING ELSE. So, what crime was he charged with in connection with that recorder, or, what kind of weapon did they think it was. I can't say they are thugs without knowing all the details, but I'd love to hear their justification for seizure of the device.

President, CLSD, Inc., Oxford, Michigan, USA

Post imported post

Here's something I am not too clear on. If you are recording an LEO interaction and the LEO is aware of it and asks you to stop recording, do you have to? I believe the answer is no, but I want to make sure.

Post imported post

Generaldet wrote:
    Here's something I am not too clear on. If you are recording an LEO interaction and the LEO is aware of it and asks you to stop recording, do you have to? I believe the answer is no, but I want to make sure.
    I would have to believe the answer is no as well. The only thing that a LEO could threaten with is the blanket "obstruction of justice", which probably would not stick.
    Rights are like muscles. You must EXERCISE THEM to keep them from becoming atrophied.

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

Is Michigan a two party consentstate for recording conversations?

Most states are not and even then some case law in some of these few states exempts recording of police officers during the performance of their duties from the ambit of the statute.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Mike wrote:
    Is Michigan a two party consentÂ*state for recording conversations?

Most states are not and even then some case law in some of these few states exempts recording of police officers during the performance of their duties from the ambit of the statute.
    Michigan is a one-party state, provided you are a party to the conversation.

Otherwise, the conversation must be held in a location generally open to the public, or you'd need consent of all parties which are part of the conversation.