• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Private Gun Sale Question

Magix

imported post

Hi. What are the proceduresfor a private gun sale in Washington State? I've looked around and found some vague answers. I just want to be clear before selling one of my guns. Any papers, forms, etc. necessary?

Thanks!

steble01

imported post

no, no, and no..........private sales are not controlled in WA.....though IIRC you can go to a FFL with your buyer and do a transfer if you so choose

it is your choice to make up an invoice/receipt of sale. also it is your choice to want to see a CPL and drivers license as well. remember you can get nailed if you sell to someone who has their gun rights taken away.

tat2ed_guy

imported post

they hand you money, you hand them a gun. :celebrateMake sure that they are legal to buy one though. Unless you see a CPL I think the only thing you can really check is the age of that person. You can document the sale if you would like. There are forms that you can submit also but someone else will have to help you find that.

Magix

imported post

Thanks for the answers. I'm selling to a friend who has his CPL so I'm not really worried. Just wanted to double check and make sure I'm not doing anything illegal since I've never sold a gun before.

steble01

imported post

i would highly advise you to make a receipt of sale and have it signed....even though he is a friend of yours.........well.......it never hurts to be safe;)

BobR

imported post

It is always advisable to have a signed reciept from the buyer, and possibly a DL number or copy of the DL.

If you bought the gun new and filled out the 4473 for it then if the ATF or police do a trace on the gun for some reason it will come back to you. It is nice to have proof of who and when you disposed of the gun to.

bob

shad0wfax

imported post

DBake wrote:
No. What I would do if I was going to do a private sale of a firearm in WA is the following:
  • If they were a WA resident I knew was eligible to own a firearm I would just take the money in exchange for the firearm and operate on a handshake. No ID necessary since I know them and know they're legal and I have no reason to believe they intend to use the firearm unlawfully.
  • If they were a person I did not know I would verify that they were a WA resident by viewing their photo ID. I would then ask to view their CPL (or WAC membership card) if they had one.
  • If they didn't have a WAC membership card or a CPL I'd insist we handle the transfer through an FFL.
Any of the three scenarios would satisfy all state and federal requirements and I believe any of the three scenarios would leave me covered adequately if the firearm were later to be used in a crime. The voluntary DOL form is just silly. Why create an unnecessary paper trail?

cynicist

imported post

I haven't used this yet, but I have a couple in anticipation of a "quiet sale," - each party fills it out and gets a copy of the others ID. Both parties put in and envelope and put somewhere safe. In the event that one needed to prove they bought/sold the gun, they have it, and in the meantime Uncle Sam can mind his own business.