Thread: Handguns

Post imported post

Do handguns, either OC or CC have to be registered? What is a registered gun? If so, how do you register a gun?

Post imported post

In Kentucky, to the best of my knowledge, FFL (Federal Firearms License?) dealers, meaning gun stores, must fill out a form recording the gun serial number upon purchase. This form stays with the private dealer, and does not get sent to the government as far as I know. However, if the ATF wants to come and inspect their records to investigate a crime, they can do so at anytime.

In my opinion, this creates a risk of national registration of existing firearms, at the whim of a Liberal congress. All they have to do is pass a law to confiscate the forms.

There is no requirement for this form for a private sale.

Post imported post

That was exactly what I thought. It's just that when I bought a hand gun from a gentleman last week, he kept telling me it was registered to him and I would need to get that changed. I just said "ok, ok" but didn't have a clue what he wanted me to do.

Post imported post

Thanks for the Info.

Post imported post

Despite what TV crime dramas would have you believe, there is very little gun registration in the U.S., and tracing a gun is almost impossible unless it is in the hands of someone who purchased it new from a dealer and has not moved.

These states require handgun registration: CT, HI, IL (partial, by city ordinance), MD, MA, MI, NV (Clark County only), NJ, NY, and NC (Durham County only).

In all others, there is no registration, although Pennsylvania has a "purchase registry" that only covers purchases from dealers (private sales are legal).

Post imported post

KBCraig wrote:
    Despite what TV crime dramas would have you believe, there is very little gun registration in the U.S., and tracing a gun is almost impossible unless it is in the hands of someone who purchased it new from a dealer and has not moved.

These states require handgun registration: CT, HI, IL (partial, by city ordinance), MD, MA, MI, NV (Clark County only), NJ, NY, and NC (Durham County only).

In all others, there is no registration, although Pennsylvania has a "purchase registry" that only covers purchases from dealers (private sales are legal).

Aren't those the dramas where the guns have unlimited rounds, and never have to change mags? Or is that only the B rated movies that Sci-Fi puts out?

Post imported post

Yeah, most of those TV guns have infinity mags:shock:WishI could get some of those...

Post imported post

KBCraig wrote:

I gotta get me some TV ammo. You know - the kind that knocks a 300 lb. guy back 6 feet and through a wall in 9 mm.

That's for my wife. I carry a .45.