• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Handguns

Statesman

imported post

In Kentucky, to the best of my knowledge, FFL (Federal Firearms License?) dealers, meaning gun stores, must fill out a form recording the gun serial number upon purchase. This form stays with the private dealer, and does not get sent to the government as far as I know. However, if the ATF wants to come and inspect their records to investigate a crime, they can do so at anytime.

In my opinion, this creates a risk of national registration of existing firearms, at the whim of a Liberal congress. All they have to do is pass a law to confiscate the forms.

There is no requirement for this form for a private sale.

Undertaker

imported post

That was exactly what I thought. It's just that when I bought a hand gun from a gentleman last week, he kept telling me it was registered to him and I would need to get that changed. I just said "ok, ok" but didn't have a clue what he wanted me to do.

KBCraig

imported post

Despite what TV crime dramas would have you believe, there is very little gun registration in the U.S., and tracing a gun is almost impossible unless it is in the hands of someone who purchased it new from a dealer and has not moved.

These states require handgun registration: CT, HI, IL (partial, by city ordinance), MD, MA, MI, NV (Clark County only), NJ, NY, and NC (Durham County only).

In all others, there is no registration, although Pennsylvania has a "purchase registry" that only covers purchases from dealers (private sales are legal).

Statesman

imported post

KBCraig wrote:
Despite what TV crime dramas would have you believe, there is very little gun registration in the U.S., and tracing a gun is almost impossible unless it is in the hands of someone who purchased it new from a dealer and has not moved.

These states require handgun registration: CT, HI, IL (partial, by city ordinance), MD, MA, MI, NV (Clark County only), NJ, NY, and NC (Durham County only).

In all others, there is no registration, although Pennsylvania has a "purchase registry" that only covers purchases from dealers (private sales are legal).
Aren't those the dramas where the guns have unlimited rounds, and never have to change mags? Or is that only the B rated movies that Sci-Fi puts out?

sawhitt

imported post

KBCraig wrote:

I gotta get me some TV ammo. You know - the kind that knocks a 300 lb. guy back 6 feet and through a wall in 9 mm.

That's for my wife. I carry a .45.