• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC my soon-to-be Christmas present???

Lexington_Son

imported post

I could just see the ball and powder spilling everywhere. Possible? Also, are there any black powder enthusiests here that might have advice for me buying and shooting this? Is it fun to make your own ball ammo for them?

On a personal note, would this make me look too much like a pirate? :p
lyman_plainpis.jpg

p2a1x7

imported post

Go with the pirate. You're a bit late but maybe you could pick up some girls who are into it. I'd also consider getting a sword since your pistol would just turn into a club after your first shot.

Hammer

imported post

My word to you is, watch out!
The OC nazis here will deride and attempt to shame you for carrying something other than what "they" deem an appropriate self-defense weapon.
I got on the board last year and expressed my intent to carry a Ruger Old Army- if you don't know it, it is a Ruger Super Blackhawk with a percussion cylinder. It shoots .45 ball or conical, will hold almost 50g of 3FG powder, and is every bit the equivalent of a .45 ACP load, tho admittedly much slower to reload.
There was such a ruckus you wouldn't believe!
The old single shot BP pistols are fun to shoot. I have made a couple from kits. You can't be in any hurry to get shots in. In their time, if one could load and fire 3 shots a minute it was considered pretty fast.
I cast lead bullets for many of my arms, but buy round balls for my BP stuff. It needs to be pure lead, and I use so few it's not worth it to me to buy the moulds.
If you already have a modern carry piece, that would be a better choice. If cost is an object, you can buy new Hi-Points right now for $150, same as you'd spend for the BP.
They are fun replica arms, and if you like period shooters like I do, you would enjoy a single shot.
I had a pepper-box for a while, too. It's a 4 bbl'd pocket BP shooter.

Lexington_Son wrote:
I could just see the ball and powder spilling everywhere. Possible? Also, are there any black powder enthusiests here that might have advice for me buying and shooting this? Is it fun to make your own ball ammo for them?

lyman_plainpis.jpg

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

Hammer wrote:
The OC nazis here will deride and attempt to shame you for carrying something other than what "they" deem an appropriate self-defense weapon....snip...
There was such a ruckus you wouldn't believe!...

Lexington_Son wrote:

lyman_plainpis.jpg

I wouldn't want Hammer to get disappointed, so:

Sounds like a great OC weapon, just so long as it's backed up by a GLOCK or Sig auto.;)

Hammer

imported post

Ah, if that were only enough!
I offered to back up the ROA with- of all things for your consideration- a Glock 20
Even that was nay-sayed.... :(

G20-IWB24/7 wrote:
Hammer wrote:
The OC nazis here will deride and attempt to shame you for carrying something other than what "they" deem an appropriate self-defense weapon....snip...
There was such a ruckus you wouldn't believe!...

Lexington_Son wrote:

lyman_plainpis.jpg

I wouldn't want Hammer to get disappointed, so:

Sounds like a great OC weapon, just so long as it's backed up by a GLOCK or Sig auto.;)

FunkTrooper

imported post

Wait a minute, I thought the OC Nazis were the people who didn't want us to carry a gun to begin with. As far as carrying a weapon as long as your safe with it It don't bother me what it is, I say safe because if you accidentally shoot yourself or someone else I reserve the right to call you an @$$.

Hammer

imported post

FunkTrooper wrote:
Wait a minute, I thought the OC Nazis were the people who didn't want us to carry a gun to begin with.
Since I used the term, let me define what I meant:
It is anyone who seeks to infringe my right to keep and bear arms, by laws or personal pressure.
'Zat help?

DEROS72

imported post

That would be way cool ,though as someone pointed out only one shot .Best to have a back up.I fear some folks wouldn't even think it real.

Lexington_Son

imported post

Are you suggesting that I coud be OCing in the middle of hundreds of people and it's possible that no one would notice or care? -gasp- :shock::D

sirpuma

imported post

Hammer wrote:
The OC nazis here will deride and attempt to shame you for carrying something other than what "they" deem an appropriate self-defense weapon.
I got on the board last year and expressed my intent to carry a Ruger Old Army- if you don't know it, it is a Ruger Super Blackhawk with a percussion cylinder. It shoots .45 ball or conical, will hold almost 50g of 3FG powder, and is every bit the equivalent of a .45 ACP load, tho admittedly much slower to reload.
There was such a ruckus you wouldn't believe!
The old single shot BP pistols are fun to shoot. I have made a couple from kits. You can't be in any hurry to get shots in. In their time, if one could load and fire 3 shots a minute it was considered pretty fast.
I cast lead bullets for many of my arms, but buy round balls for my BP stuff. It needs to be pure lead, and I use so few it's not worth it to me to buy the moulds.
If you already have a modern carry piece, that would be a better choice. If cost is an object, you can buy new Hi-Points right now for $150, same as you'd spend for the BP.
They are fun replica arms, and if you like period shooters like I do, you would enjoy a single shot.
I had a pepper-box for a while, too. It's a 4 bbl'd pocket BP shooter.

Lexington_Son wrote:

lyman_plainpis.jpg
I occasionally carry my Ruger Blackhawk .357 6" in western holster and belt. Goes great with my cheap duster, hat and boots. :lol: Yes, I really dress this way on occasion, just without the badge and rifle. I added those for the Seattle Guns forum. lol

New_Sherriff.jpg

G27

imported post

I think the main point that is trying to be made is that OC'ers typically have a bad image associated with them to begin with and seeing people OC these guns that have no real means as viable self defense items in this day and age only makes one think that this person (or more importantly, this group) is just a bunch of people showing off what they can do just because it is legal. If you honestly feel the need to carry something archaic like that, then by all means do it. But remember you represent not only yourself but the group as well whether you like it or not.

Nitrox314

imported post

Lexington_Son wrote:

lyman_plainpis.jpg
Looks alot like the one George Washington had. His had the blunt end though for busting skulls when he needed. So, just tell them its not a Pirate pistol, but a revolutionary pistol. :)

PiJiNWiNg

imported post

G27 wrote:
I think the main point that is trying to be made is that OC'ers typically have a bad image associated with them to begin with and seeing people OC these guns that have no real means as viable self defense items in this day and age only makes one think that this person (or more importantly, this group) is just a bunch of people showing off what they can do just because it is legal. If you honestly feel the need to carry something archaic like that, then by all means do it. But remember you represent not only yourself but the group as well whether you like it or not.
I totally agree... If you were genuinely OCing for self defense, this is an extremely poor option, not to mention extremely tacky. To tote this pistol around would be nothing more than you trying to be 'different', even though there is a pretty obvious reason nobody seriously carries these around anymore.

Edit: BP IS generally pretty cool though, haha, just not for OC