Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 32

Thread: Stabbing at Wawa in York County

  1. #1
    Regular Member MSC 45ACP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Newport News, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    2,845

    Post imported post



    http://www.wavy.com/dpp/mobile/local..._girl_20090820

    YORK COUNTY, Va. - York County deputies are investigating a stabbing at a WaWa on Rt. 17. According to officials, a man stabbed his girlfriend after some sort of dispute.

    The woman was stabbed once in the side and once in the neck, York County Captain Frank Crotty told WAVY.com. She was treated and released from the hospital and is expected to be okay.

    Investigators tracked down the suspect at the victim's home at Lowman's Trailer Park in the 400 block of Wolftrap Road. The victim identified her assailant as 43-year-old Richard Bartlett. She told police he was an acquaintance of hers. When Sheriff's deputies arrived, they tried to make contact by phone and loudspeaker. After no response, deputies entered the trailer and found the suspect dead on the floor. Investigators say he died from a single gunshot wound. Captain Crotty said law enforcement did not fire any shots.

    Investigators have not released the victim's name.

    Stay with WAVY.com and WAVY News 10 for the latest developments in this case.
    "If I know that I am headed for a fight, I want something larger with more power, preferably crew-served.
    However, like most of us, as I go through my daily life, I carry something a bit more compact, with a lot less power."
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

    Remington 1911 R1 (Back to Basics)
    SERPA retention or concealed...

    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
    (Borrowed from "The Perfect Day" by LTC Dave Grossman)

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Louisa County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    821

    Post imported post

    Everytime I read about this stuff, I'm grateful for my boring life.

    Sad for all involved.

    eta: Just to stay compliant, I'm open carrying while typing this.

  3. #3
    Regular Member MSC 45ACP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Newport News, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    2,845

    Post imported post

    I only live a couple miles from this Wawa. I OC there regularly and one of my daughters has a friend that lives in that trailer park. This one is TOO close to home...
    "If I know that I am headed for a fight, I want something larger with more power, preferably crew-served.
    However, like most of us, as I go through my daily life, I carry something a bit more compact, with a lot less power."
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

    Remington 1911 R1 (Back to Basics)
    SERPA retention or concealed...

    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
    (Borrowed from "The Perfect Day" by LTC Dave Grossman)

  4. #4
    State Researcher HankT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Invisible Mode
    Posts
    6,217

    Post imported post

    MSC 45ACP wrote:
    The woman was stabbed once in the side and once in the neck, York County Captain Frank Crotty told WAVY.com. She was treated and released from the hospital and is expected to be okay.

    Investigators tracked down the suspect at the victim's home at Lowman's Trailer Park in the 400 block of Wolftrap Road. The victim identified her assailant as 43-year-old Richard Bartlett.
    Thank God he was only a goof with akinife and not a goof with agun...

  5. #5
    Regular Member TFred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Most historic town in, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    7,705

    Post imported post

    HankT wrote:
    MSC 45ACP wrote:
    The woman was stabbed once in the side and once in the neck, York County Captain Frank Crotty told WAVY.com. She was treated and released from the hospital and is expected to be okay.

    Investigators tracked down the suspect at the victim's home at Lowman's Trailer Park in the 400 block of Wolftrap Road. The victim identified her assailant as 43-year-old Richard Bartlett.
    Thank God he was only a goof with akinife and not a goof with agun...
    I guess you didn't read all the way to the end of the article...

    TFred

  6. #6
    Regular Member MSC 45ACP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Newport News, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    2,845

    Post imported post

    I'm glad he saved the taxpayers the cost of a trial. Good thing the girl is going to be ok.
    "If I know that I am headed for a fight, I want something larger with more power, preferably crew-served.
    However, like most of us, as I go through my daily life, I carry something a bit more compact, with a lot less power."
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

    Remington 1911 R1 (Back to Basics)
    SERPA retention or concealed...

    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
    (Borrowed from "The Perfect Day" by LTC Dave Grossman)

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Fairfax, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    29

    Post imported post

    I'm wondering if the story -- as told -- is, in fact, what happened. The link doesn't indicate whether or not there were witnesses to this stabbing; for all I know, she killed the guy in the trailer, then -- desperate for a defense -- inflicted her own non-life-threatening injuries and headed off to Wawa to continue the charade.

    Not sayin' she did or she didn't, only that at this point in time, I don't have enough evidence one way or the other to make a blanket statement condemning the guy. If he did the deed, then I appreciate the fact that he decided to remove himself from the gene pool.

    I dunno; maybe I've been watching too many episodes of "Snapped" on tv...

  8. #8
    State Researcher HankT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Invisible Mode
    Posts
    6,217

    Post imported post

    Chopper Dad wrote:
    I'm wondering if the story -- as told -- is, in fact, what happened. The link doesn't indicate whether or not there were witnesses to this stabbing; for all I know, she killed the guy in the trailer, then -- desperate for a defense -- inflicted her own non-life-threatening injuries and headed off to Wawa to continue the charade.

    Not sayin' she did or she didn't, only that at this point in time, I don't have enough evidence one way or the other to make a blanket statement condemning the guy.

    I see your points, Chopper Dad. Really, anything could have happened.

    And the FACT is that none, none of us, was even there! So, we can't say anything about it, really. Which reminds me, and this is just a variant of your theory....it would be mostly consistent....the stabbing DID occur, just like reported....BUT Richard Bartlett (who has NEVER owned a gun in his life)was overwhelmed with remorse and went home to cry his eyes out. OK, so far?

    In the meantime.....the BRADY BUNCH operatives....hear about the incident on their police scanners....man, are they p*ssed that the attack was NOT with a gun.....

    Theyimmediately concoct a devilish and nefarious plot to PLANT a gun in Bartlett's trailer....so that, you know, when Bartlett was arrested he would be found WITH A GUN (and therefore categorized as a SWAG) which would make a great story for the Brady Bunchers to proliferate....

    BUT, the operatives were slow. While they were inside the trailer, Bartlett came back and ......there was a struggle......BAM!

    You, I'm sure, know the rest...


  9. #9
    Regular Member MSC 45ACP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Newport News, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    2,845

    Post imported post

    One word: Wow.
    "If I know that I am headed for a fight, I want something larger with more power, preferably crew-served.
    However, like most of us, as I go through my daily life, I carry something a bit more compact, with a lot less power."
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

    Remington 1911 R1 (Back to Basics)
    SERPA retention or concealed...

    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
    (Borrowed from "The Perfect Day" by LTC Dave Grossman)

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Fairfax, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    29

    Post imported post

    HankT wrote:
    Chopper Dad wrote:
    I'm wondering if the story -- as told -- is, in fact, what happened. The link doesn't indicate whether or not there were witnesses to this stabbing; for all I know, she killed the guy in the trailer, then -- desperate for a defense -- inflicted her own non-life-threatening injuries and headed off to Wawa to continue the charade.

    Not sayin' she did or she didn't, only that at this point in time, I don't have enough evidence one way or the other to make a blanket statement condemning the guy.

    I see your points, Chopper Dad. Really, anything could have happened.

    And the FACT is that none, none of us, was even there! So, we can't say anything about it, really. Which reminds me, and this is just a variant of your theory....it would be mostly consistent....the stabbing DID occur, just like reported....BUT Richard Bartlett (who has NEVER owned a gun in his life)was overwhelmed with remorse and went home to cry his eyes out. OK, so far?

    In the meantime.....the BRADY BUNCH operatives....hear about the incident on their police scanners....man, are they p*ssed that the attack was NOT with a gun.....

    Theyimmediately concoct a devilish and nefarious plot to PLANT a gun in Bartlett's trailer....so that, you know, when Bartlett was arrested he would be found WITH A GUN (and therefore categorized as a SWAG) which would make a great story for the Brady Bunchers to proliferate....

    BUT, the operatives were slow. While they were inside the trailer, Bartlett came back and ......there was a struggle......BAM!

    You, I'm sure, know the rest...
    Hank, I usually get a chuckle or two out of your posts, and this time is no exception! Thank you!!!

    Needless to say, I'm sittin' here shakin' my head all the while... once again wonderin' where and how you come up with some of this stuff... but at least I'm chucklin'! You're a hoot, dude!



  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Fairfax, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    29

    Post imported post

    Hank?
    .
    .
    .
    Hank?
    .
    .
    .
    Anybody seen Hank???
    .
    .
    .
    Damn! That crazy Brady Bunch musta got him, too!!!


    (Just pullin' your chain, Hank, in a friendly sorta way... )

  12. #12
    Regular Member MSC 45ACP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Newport News, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    2,845

    Post imported post

    I was in this Wawa today. Next time I'm there, I'll ask where the "incident" took place. Its a small town here, and stuff like this "just doesn't happen here". The last few years, York County has only had 1 or 2 murders a year (and those take place near the Newport News line, most of the time). I think we've already had em for this year, so we're done.
    "If I know that I am headed for a fight, I want something larger with more power, preferably crew-served.
    However, like most of us, as I go through my daily life, I carry something a bit more compact, with a lot less power."
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

    Remington 1911 R1 (Back to Basics)
    SERPA retention or concealed...

    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
    (Borrowed from "The Perfect Day" by LTC Dave Grossman)

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Fairfax, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    29

    Post imported post

    Thanks, 45. But do keep an eye out for that Brady Bunch, will ya? If they've actually started knockin' off them folks in the trailer parks, like Hank says, ya just don't know what they're capable of doin' next !!!

  14. #14
    Regular Member MSC 45ACP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Newport News, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    2,845

    Post imported post

    Appreciate the warning Chopper, but if the Brady Bunch gets off the wrong exit on I-64 in York County in their Town & Country minivan (with their canoes on the roof), they may not ever get out...

    "What theHe-- you wannt go fluck around with that river for... You get in there, you can't get out..."

    This AIN'T Fairfax County, that's for sure... We still say the Pledge of Allegiance in school and bow our heads in prayer before football games and other sporting events. They come messin' around down here, we'll send em across the bridge and out to Guinea Neck or Mathews and they won't ever find thier way back... We have a pretty low tolerance for their kinda silliness around here.


    "If I know that I am headed for a fight, I want something larger with more power, preferably crew-served.
    However, like most of us, as I go through my daily life, I carry something a bit more compact, with a lot less power."
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

    Remington 1911 R1 (Back to Basics)
    SERPA retention or concealed...

    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
    (Borrowed from "The Perfect Day" by LTC Dave Grossman)

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    , , USA
    Posts
    17

    Post imported post

    Here in Fairfax County they say the Pledge of Allegiance in elementary school and have a moment of silence every day. Not sure about middle or high schools. - Dean

  16. #16
    Lone Star Veteran DrMark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Hampton Roads, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,553

    Post imported post

    MSC 45ACP wrote:
    They come messin' around down here, we'll send em across the bridge and out to Guinea Neck or Mathews and they won't ever find thier way back...




  17. #17
    Regular Member 2a4all's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Newport News, VA, ,
    Posts
    1,586

    Post imported post

    MSC 45ACP wrote:
    I was in this Wawa today. Next time I'm there, I'll ask where the "incident" took place. Its a small town here, and stuff like this "just doesn't happen here". The last few years, York County has only had 1 or 2 murders a year (and those take place near the Newport News line, most of the time). I think we've already had em for this year, so we're done.
    That Wawa store isn't that far from the Newport News line. Is Grafton crime expanding in this direction?
    A law-abiding citizen should be able to carry his personal protection firearm anywhere that an armed criminal might go.

    Member VCDL, NRA

  18. #18
    Regular Member MSC 45ACP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Newport News, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    2,845

    Post imported post

    2a4all wrote:
    That Wawa store isn't that far from the Newport News line. Is Grafton crime expanding in this direction?
    Now THAT is funnychit! Keep your day job, Brother... You're not cut out to be a comedian.

    Yeah, we get the occaisional nutty trailer park dweller whose cheese slips off his cracker, but its usually pretty quiet in my neck of the woods. If you come down Denbeigh from Newport News to Rt 17 and keep going straight a mile or threeyou're in my 'hood. Its pretty quiet back here.

    P.S. That Wawa is about 3 miles from Newport News. Is there one closer? I only know of one other Wawa around and that one IS in Newport News... just past the 64 overpass on Rt 17 down by "City Center"
    "If I know that I am headed for a fight, I want something larger with more power, preferably crew-served.
    However, like most of us, as I go through my daily life, I carry something a bit more compact, with a lot less power."
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

    Remington 1911 R1 (Back to Basics)
    SERPA retention or concealed...

    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
    (Borrowed from "The Perfect Day" by LTC Dave Grossman)

  19. #19
    Regular Member 2a4all's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Newport News, VA, ,
    Posts
    1,586

    Post imported post

    MSC 45ACP wrote:
    2a4all wrote:
    That Wawa store isn't that far from the Newport News line. Is Grafton crime expanding in this direction?
    Now THAT is funnychit! Keep your day job, Brother... You're not cut out to be a comedian.

    Yeah, we get the occaisional nutty trailer park dweller whose cheese slips off his cracker, but its usually pretty quiet in my neck of the woods. If you come down Denbeigh from Newport News to Rt 17 and keep going straight a mile or threeyou're in my 'hood. Its pretty quiet back here.

    P.S. That Wawa is about 3 miles from Newport News. Is there one closer? I only know of one other Wawa around and that one IS in Newport News... just past the 64 overpass on Rt 17 down by "City Center"
    Ah, a critic. What else can one do in retirement?

    The way to find out where nearby Wawas are located is to use their website and click on "Locations". Using your zip code, there are 3 within 10 miles of you. BTW, In Newport News, Rt 17 is J Clyde Morris Blvd until you reach Jefferson Ave.


    Store #687
    5824 George Washington
    Yorktown, VA 23692
    (757) 833-7801
    Wawa Gas: Yes
    Open 24 hrs: Yes
    0.2 miles away

    Store #656
    14803 Warwick Blvd
    Newport News, VA 23608
    (757) 874-2704
    Wawa Gas: Yes
    Open 24 hrs: Yes
    4.8 miles away

    Store #685
    772 J. Clyde Morris Blvd
    Newport News, VA 23601
    (757) 873-4737
    Wawa Gas: Yes
    Open 24 hrs: Yes
    A law-abiding citizen should be able to carry his personal protection firearm anywhere that an armed criminal might go.

    Member VCDL, NRA

  20. #20
    Regular Member MSC 45ACP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Newport News, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    2,845

    Post imported post

    Eh... Let's not split hairs, Brother... To me, Rt 17 is the same road, regardless of the name each town or county gives to it. I just know it goes from Northern VA (Winchester, I think) to Florida (I've used it around Jacksonville, but I know it goes south of there to the gulf coast toward Tampa). Its a long road.

    I grew up in this part of VA for the most part and regardless of where in the area I've been, we call the major routes by their best known names. "17" goes across the York River on the Coleman Bridge. I dunno what they call it in Gloucester, but its still 17 to me. Military Highway on the shouthside is a LONG road. I know it turns into Rt. 13 soth of Tidewater and on the CBBT & northward.

    I knew about the two Wawas on Rt 17. I had forgotten about the one on Warwick. The first one I remember visiting was when I was stationed in Cape May, NJ. Back then, they didn't sell gas. They were a Delicatessen and small convenience store.

    Did you know they have their own dairy? They started in Wawa, Pennsylvania. My spousal unit was a manager at one in N.J. Back then, all managers-in-training had to go to "distribution headquarters" as part of their Indoc. training. Their sandwiches were AWESOME and made to order. You went to the deli case and pointed out the type of meat, cheese and condiments you wanted on it. They had a dozen (or more) different meats and cheeses to choose from. A footlong sandwich was also between $2 and $3.
    "If I know that I am headed for a fight, I want something larger with more power, preferably crew-served.
    However, like most of us, as I go through my daily life, I carry something a bit more compact, with a lot less power."
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

    Remington 1911 R1 (Back to Basics)
    SERPA retention or concealed...

    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
    (Borrowed from "The Perfect Day" by LTC Dave Grossman)

  21. #21
    Lone Star Veteran DrMark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Hampton Roads, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,553

    Post imported post

    MSC 45ACP wrote:
    Investigators tracked down the suspect at the victim's home at Lowman's Trailer Park in the 400 block of Wolftrap Road.
    Back around the mid 1990s, I did a ride-along with a buddy who (at that time) was a York County Sheriff's Deputy. The only incident of note that night was a "domestic disturbance" at that very trailer park. We happened to be about the 4th back-up unit to arrive, but that happens during slow nights in the County.

    Chopper Dad wrote:
    I'm wondering if the story -- as told -- is, in fact, what happened. The link doesn't indicate whether or not there were witnesses to this stabbing; for all I know, she killed the guy in the trailer...
    From what I've heard, the self-inflicted aspect of his demise was quite evident.



  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Fairfax, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    29

    Post imported post

    DrMark wrote:
    From what I've heard, the self-inflicted aspect of his demise was quite evident.

    And if that's the way it is determined to have happened, I whole-heartedly applaud the perp's decision to make an early departure from the gene pool, prior to causing any more havoc to his pool mates.

  23. #23
    State Researcher HankT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Invisible Mode
    Posts
    6,217

    Post imported post

    Chopper Dad wrote:
    DrMark wrote:
    From what I've heard, the self-inflicted aspect of his demise was quite evident.

    ... I whole-heartedly applaud the perp's decision to make an early departure from the gene pool, prior to causing any more havoc to his pool mates.
    That's exactly what the Bradies would want you to believe.

    If someone, anyone, would Check Bartlett's hands....we'd see.......no powder residue....


    The Brady Bunch....will ...stop ... at...nothing. Bastards!

  24. #24
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Fairfax, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    29

    Post imported post

    HankT wrote:
    Chopper Dad wrote:
    ... I whole-heartedly applaud the perp's decision to make an early departure from the gene pool, prior to causing any more havoc to his pool mates.
    That's exactly what the Bradies would want you to believe.

    If someone, anyone, would Check Bartlett's hands....we'd see.......no powder residue....


    The Brady Bunch....will ...stop ... at...nothing. Bastards!
    I think you're goin' off the deep end just a little bit here, Hank! You might wanna try bringin' it back down out of the stratosphere a bit...

    Oh, and by the way, when you quote me, I'd appreciate the consideration of a full quote, if you would. At the very least, kindly don't break what I have to say apart in mid-sentence... some folks might think that you're deliberately tryin' to distort what I have to say for somewhat disingenuous purposes and we'd wouldn't want 'em to think that, now would we?

  25. #25
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,619

    Post imported post

    MSC 45ACP wrote:
    "17" goes across the York River on the Coleman Bridge. I dunno what they call it in Gloucester
    From the Cou't House to the bridge was a two lane winding road and no self-respecting guinea man (Hogg, Roe or Ashe) would have reason to go past either.

    It was best known as "the highway."

    Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •