• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Stabbing at Wawa in York County

MSC 45ACP

imported post

http://www.wavy.com/dpp/mobile/local_crime_wavy_york_man_stabs_girl_20090820

YORK COUNTY, Va. - York County deputies are investigating a stabbing at a WaWa on Rt. 17. According to officials, a man stabbed his girlfriend after some sort of dispute.

The woman was stabbed once in the side and once in the neck, York County Captain Frank Crotty told WAVY.com. She was treated and released from the hospital and is expected to be okay.

Investigators tracked down the suspect at the victim's home at Lowman's Trailer Park in the 400 block of Wolftrap Road. The victim identified her assailant as 43-year-old Richard Bartlett. She told police he was an acquaintance of hers. When Sheriff's deputies arrived, they tried to make contact by phone and loudspeaker. After no response, deputies entered the trailer and found the suspect dead on the floor. Investigators say he died from a single gunshot wound. Captain Crotty said law enforcement did not fire any shots.

Investigators have not released the victim's name.

Stay with WAVY.com and WAVY News 10 for the latest developments in this case.

MSC 45ACP

imported post

I only live a couple miles from this Wawa. I OC there regularly and one of my daughters has a friend that lives in that trailer park. This one is TOO close to home...

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
The woman was stabbed once in the side and once in the neck, York County Captain Frank Crotty told WAVY.com. She was treated and released from the hospital and is expected to be okay.

Investigators tracked down the suspect at the victim's home at Lowman's Trailer Park in the 400 block of Wolftrap Road. The victim identified her assailant as 43-year-old Richard Bartlett.
Thank God he was only a goof with akinife and not a goof with agun...

TFred

imported post

HankT wrote:
MSC 45ACP wrote:

Investigators tracked down the suspect at the victim's home at Lowman's Trailer Park in the 400 block of Wolftrap Road. The victim identified her assailant as 43-year-old Richard Bartlett.
Thank God he was only a goof with akinife and not a goof with agun...
I guess you didn't read all the way to the end of the article...

TFred

Chopper Dad

imported post

I'm wondering if the story -- as told -- is, in fact, what happened. The link doesn't indicate whether or not there were witnesses to this stabbing; for all I know, she killed the guy in the trailer, then -- desperate for a defense -- inflicted her own non-life-threatening injuries and headed off to Wawa to continue the charade.

Not sayin' she did or she didn't, only that at this point in time, I don't have enough evidence one way or the other to make a blanket statement condemning the guy. If he did the deed, then I appreciate the fact that he decided to remove himself from the gene pool.

I dunno; maybe I've been watching too many episodes of "Snapped" on tv...

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Chopper Dad wrote:
I'm wondering if the story -- as told -- is, in fact, what happened. The link doesn't indicate whether or not there were witnesses to this stabbing; for all I know, she killed the guy in the trailer, then -- desperate for a defense -- inflicted her own non-life-threatening injuries and headed off to Wawa to continue the charade.

Not sayin' she did or she didn't, only that at this point in time, I don't have enough evidence one way or the other to make a blanket statement condemning the guy.

I see your points, Chopper Dad. Really, anything could have happened.

And the FACT is that none, none of us, was even there! So, we can't say anything about it, really. Which reminds me, and this is just a variant of your theory....it would be mostly consistent....the stabbing DID occur, just like reported....BUT Richard Bartlett (who has NEVER owned a gun in his life)was overwhelmed with remorse and went home to cry his eyes out. OK, so far?

In the meantime.....the BRADY BUNCH operatives....hear about the incident on their police scanners....man, are they p*ssed that the attack was NOT with a gun.....

Theyimmediately concoct a devilish and nefarious plot to PLANT a gun in Bartlett's trailer....so that, you know, when Bartlett was arrested he would be found WITH A GUN (and therefore categorized as a SWAG) which would make a great story for the Brady Bunchers to proliferate....

BUT, the operatives were slow. While they were inside the trailer, Bartlett came back and ......there was a struggle......BAM!

You, I'm sure, know the rest...

Chopper Dad

imported post

HankT wrote:
Chopper Dad wrote:

Not sayin' she did or she didn't, only that at this point in time, I don't have enough evidence one way or the other to make a blanket statement condemning the guy.

I see your points, Chopper Dad. Really, anything could have happened.

And the FACT is that none, none of us, was even there! So, we can't say anything about it, really. Which reminds me, and this is just a variant of your theory....it would be mostly consistent....the stabbing DID occur, just like reported....BUT Richard Bartlett (who has NEVER owned a gun in his life)was overwhelmed with remorse and went home to cry his eyes out. OK, so far?

In the meantime.....the BRADY BUNCH operatives....hear about the incident on their police scanners....man, are they p*ssed that the attack was NOT with a gun.....

Theyimmediately concoct a devilish and nefarious plot to PLANT a gun in Bartlett's trailer....so that, you know, when Bartlett was arrested he would be found WITH A GUN (and therefore categorized as a SWAG) which would make a great story for the Brady Bunchers to proliferate....

BUT, the operatives were slow. While they were inside the trailer, Bartlett came back and ......there was a struggle......BAM!

You, I'm sure, know the rest...
Hank, I usually get a chuckle or two out of your posts, and this time is no exception! Thank you!!!

Needless to say, I'm sittin' here shakin' my head all the while... once again wonderin' where and how you come up with some of this stuff... but at least I'm chucklin'! You're a hoot, dude!

:) :) :)

Chopper Dad

imported post

Hank?
Hank?
Anybody seen Hank???
Damn! That crazy Brady Bunch musta got him, too!!!

(Just pullin' your chain, Hank, in a friendly sorta way... :) )

MSC 45ACP

imported post

I was in this Wawa today. Next time I'm there, I'll ask where the "incident" took place. Its a small town here, and stuff like this "just doesn't happen here". The last few years, York County has only had 1 or 2 murders a year (and those take place near the Newport News line, most of the time). I think we've already had em for this year, so we're done. :)

Chopper Dad

imported post

Thanks, 45. But do keep an eye out for that Brady Bunch, will ya? If they've actually started knockin' off them folks in the trailer parks, like Hank says, ya just don't know what they're capable of doin' next !!!

MSC 45ACP

imported post

Appreciate the warning Chopper, but if the Brady Bunch gets off the wrong exit on I-64 in York County in their Town & Country minivan (with their canoes on the roof), they may not ever get out...

"What theHe-- you wannt go fluck around with that river for... You get in there, you can't get out..."

This AIN'T Fairfax County, that's for sure... We still say the Pledge of Allegiance in school and bow our heads in prayer before football games and other sporting events. They come messin' around down here, we'll send em across the bridge and out to Guinea Neck or Mathews and they won't ever find thier way back... We have a pretty low tolerance for their kinda silliness around here.

dean2k

imported post

Here in Fairfax County they say the Pledge of Allegiance in elementary school and have a moment of silence every day. Not sure about middle or high schools. - Dean

2a4all

imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
I was in this Wawa today. Next time I'm there, I'll ask where the "incident" took place. Its a small town here, and stuff like this "just doesn't happen here". The last few years, York County has only had 1 or 2 murders a year (and those take place near the Newport News line, most of the time). I think we've already had em for this year, so we're done. :)
That Wawa store isn't that far from the Newport News line. Is Grafton crime expanding in this direction?

MSC 45ACP

imported post

2a4all wrote:
That Wawa store isn't that far from the Newport News line. Is Grafton crime expanding in this direction?

Now THAT is funnychit! Keep your day job, Brother... You're not cut out to be a comedian. ;)

Yeah, we get the occaisional nutty trailer park dweller whose cheese slips off his cracker, but its usually pretty quiet in my neck of the woods. If you come down Denbeigh from Newport News to Rt 17 and keep going straight a mile or threeyou're in my 'hood. Its pretty quiet back here.

P.S. That Wawa is about 3 miles from Newport News. Is there one closer? I only know of one other Wawa around and that one IS in Newport News... just past the 64 overpass on Rt 17 down by "City Center":)

2a4all

imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
2a4all wrote:

Now THAT is funnychit! Keep your day job, Brother... You're not cut out to be a comedian. ;)

Yeah, we get the occaisional nutty trailer park dweller whose cheese slips off his cracker, but its usually pretty quiet in my neck of the woods. If you come down Denbeigh from Newport News to Rt 17 and keep going straight a mile or threeyou're in my 'hood. Its pretty quiet back here.

P.S. That Wawa is about 3 miles from Newport News. Is there one closer? I only know of one other Wawa around and that one IS in Newport News... just past the 64 overpass on Rt 17 down by "City Center":)
Ah, a critic. What else can one do in retirement?

The way to find out where nearby Wawas are located is to use their website and click on "Locations". Using your zip code, there are 3 within 10 miles of you. BTW, In Newport News, Rt 17 is J Clyde Morris Blvd until you reach Jefferson Ave.

wawa_callout_icon_gas.gif

Store #687
5824 George Washington
Yorktown, VA 23692
(757) 833-7801
Wawa Gas: Yes
Open 24 hrs: Yes
0.2 miles away

Store #656
14803 Warwick Blvd
Newport News, VA 23608
(757) 874-2704
4.8 miles away

Store #685
772 J. Clyde Morris Blvd
Newport News, VA 23601
(757) 873-4737

MSC 45ACP

imported post

Eh... Let's not split hairs, Brother... To me, Rt 17 is the same road, regardless of the name each town or county gives to it. I just know it goes from Northern VA (Winchester, I think) to Florida (I've used it around Jacksonville, but I know it goes south of there to the gulf coast toward Tampa). Its a long road.

I grew up in this part of VA for the most part and regardless of where in the area I've been, we call the major routes by their best known names. "17" goes across the York River on the Coleman Bridge. I dunno what they call it in Gloucester, but its still 17 to me. Military Highway on the shouthside is a LONG road. I know it turns into Rt. 13 soth of Tidewater and on the CBBT & northward.

I knew about the two Wawas on Rt 17. I had forgotten about the one on Warwick. The first one I remember visiting was when I was stationed in Cape May, NJ. Back then, they didn't sell gas. They were a Delicatessen and small convenience store.

Did you know they have their own dairy? They started in Wawa, Pennsylvania. My spousal unit was a manager at one in N.J. Back then, all managers-in-training had to go to "distribution headquarters" as part of their Indoc. training. Their sandwiches were AWESOME and made to order. You went to the deli case and pointed out the type of meat, cheese and condiments you wanted on it. They had a dozen (or more) different meats and cheeses to choose from. A footlong sandwich was also between $2 and $3.