Thread: crossing state lines

Post imported post

Sorry if this has been covered I am new to site. I am also alittle computer illiterate so my searching may not be the best.

Ok my question is open carry states are for open carry by residence only? I have a concealed carry non resident from PA. But if I can open carry I want to. To help the cause if nothing else. Also some state do not recognise my permit but are open carry.

I am from the great state of hellinois I do have the FOID card. (worthless) I cant do anything there.I do travel alot. Any advice thanks to a newcomer!

Realize I posted this in wrong section sorry!

Post imported post

NavyLT wrote:
    There is no state that allows only it's residents to open carry. Any restriction in a state's law will apply to you as well, when you are in that particular state.

A state cannot CRIMINALIZE a behavior based on not being a resident of that state. They can restrict certain licenses/permits and benefits to state residents.

Take Georgia for example. A non resident of Georgia cannot carry a firearm for self protection either openly or concealed. The way Georgia accomplishes this is to make it illegal to carry in any form unless the person has a Georgia Firearms License (except for military personnel, cops, etc). They then restrict the Georgia Firearms License to residents only. So, they CRIMINALIZE a behavior for residents and non-residents alike, but then offer the permit exception to residents only.
    Georgia recognizes permits from other states. They aren't like New York or Connecticut. I carry in Georgia with a New Hampshire non-res permit.

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA

Post imported post

In many states, no license/permit is required for open carry. However, carry in a vehicle may or may not require a license/permit, depending on the state.

In Pennsylvania one can carry openly without a license except in Philadelphia (which requires a license). Additionally, to carry in a vehicle requires a license.

You have to research the laws of the states you're interested in - there is no one-size-fits-all law.