• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

crossing state lines

scarylarry99

imported post

Sorry if this has been covered I am new to site. I am also alittle computer illiterate so my searching may not be the best.

Ok my question is open carry states are for open carry by residence only? I have a concealed carry non resident from PA. But if I can open carry I want to. To help the cause if nothing else. Also some state do not recognise my permit but are open carry.

I am from the great state of hellinois I do have the FOID card. (worthless) I cant do anything there.I do travel alot. Any advice thanks to a newcomer!

Realize I posted this in wrong section sorry!

Hef

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
There is no state that allows only it's residents to open carry. Any restriction in a state's law will apply to you as well, when you are in that particular state.

A state cannot CRIMINALIZE a behavior based on not being a resident of that state. They can restrict certain licenses/permits and benefits to state residents.

Take Georgia for example. A non resident of Georgia cannot carry a firearm for self protection either openly or concealed. The way Georgia accomplishes this is to make it illegal to carry in any form unless the person has a Georgia Firearms License (except for military personnel, cops, etc). They then restrict the Georgia Firearms License to residents only. So, they CRIMINALIZE a behavior for residents and non-residents alike, but then offer the permit exception to residents only.
Georgia recognizes permits from other states. They aren't like New York or Connecticut. I carry in Georgia with a New Hampshire non-res permit.

Statkowski

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

In many states, no license/permit is required for open carry. However, carry in a vehicle may or may not require a license/permit, depending on the state.

In Pennsylvania one can carry openly without a license except in Philadelphia (which requires a license). Additionally, to carry in a vehicle requires a license.

You have to research the laws of the states you're interested in - there is no one-size-fits-all law.