• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question On Rifle Open Carry

nova

imported post

peter nap wrote:
ufcfanvt wrote:
nova wrote:
to answer part of my own question, I looked through the Fairfax County weapons ordinances and did not find anything prohibiting rifle/shotgun (loaded or unloaded) carry in a vehicle (obviously it would have to be 'open carry' visible due to the CCW law).

http://www.municode.com/resources/gateway.asp?pid=10051&sid=46

Now, to go find out about other surrounding counties. :lol:

When you find it, please post... Your public awaits!
There isn't anty need to go through that. If it isn.t here, it isn't enforceable:
http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/hunting/regulations/local-ordinances.pdf
thank you so much!

ufcfanvt

imported post

Thanks for the site, but there are definitely problems w/ that list.
First, 68 is listed and easily the most draconian, but isn't attached to any county.
Second, I caught a discharge in FFX Co charge a few years ago for shooting WAY out in the woods (yes, such a place does exist). I thought I was OK, because I'd consulted this list and saw that Fairfax didn't have a "no discharge" law like #55.
Fairfax County has a class 3 law that is similar to the one in 57, but isn't listed.

Stay safe and keep your lawyer's number on speed-dial ;-)

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

ufcfanvt wrote:
Thanks for the site, but there are definitely problems w/ that list.
First, 68 is listed and easily the most draconian, but isn't attached to any county.
Second, I caught a discharge in FFX Co charge a few years ago for shooting WAY out in the woods (yes, such a place does exist). I thought I was OK, because I'd consulted this list and saw that Fairfax didn't have a "no discharge" law like #55.
Fairfax County has a class 3 law that is similar to the one in 57, but isn't listed.

Stay safe and keep your lawyer's number on speed-dial ;-)
If there is no locality attached, it's just a placeholder.
Discharges don't count. It's only carry. Anything other than transport on that list is non applicable to the code section.

§ 15.2-915.2. Regulation of transportation of a loaded rifle or shotgun.
The governing body of any county or city may by ordinance make it unlawful for any person to transport, possess or carry a loaded shotgun or loaded rifle in any vehicle on any public street, road, or highway within such locality. Any violation of such ordinance shall be punishable by a fine of not more than $100. Conservation police officers, sheriffs and all other law-enforcement officers shall enforce the provisions of this section. No ordinance adopted pursuant to this section shall be enforceable unless the governing body adopting such ordinance so notifies the Director of the Department of Game and Inland Fisheries by registered mail prior to May 1 of the year in which such ordinance is to take effect.
The provisions of this section shall not apply to duly authorized law-enforcement officers or military personnel in the performance of their lawful duties, nor to any person who reasonably believes that a loaded rifle or shotgun is necessary for his personal safety in the course of his employment or business.
(1976, c. 506, § 18.2-287.1; 1977, c. 377; 1989, c. 50; 2004, c. 462.)

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Now if your a dog hunter or other such person....

§ 15.2-1209.1. Counties may regulate carrying of loaded firearms on public highways.
The governing body of any county is hereby empowered to adopt ordinances making it unlawful for any person to carry or have in his possession, for the purpose of hunting, while on any part of a public highway within such county a loaded firearm when such person is not authorized to hunt on the private property on both sides of the highway along which he is standing or walking; and to provide a penalty for violation of such ordinance not to exceed a fine of $100. The provisions of this section shall not apply to persons carrying loaded firearms in moving vehicles or for purposes other than hunting, or to persons acting at the time in defense of persons or property.
(Code 1950, § 18.1-272; 1975, cc. 14, 15, § 18.2-287; 2004, c. 462; 2007, c. 203.)

And the famous assault weapon law but that requires High Cap magazine to make it illegal and even then, only in certain places....

so not hunting on the road, no high Cap mags and not on the list...It's legal.

Anyone have anything else.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

If you really want to cover your base. FOIA DGIF for the most current list of local ordinances submitted to them.