• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question On Rifle Open Carry

Jero1987

imported post

I was wondering if anyone knows of any Virginia code that I can cite when I open carry my AK-47/AR15 or any rifle/shotgun for that matter?
Also when car carrying your rifle do you need the action open? I know it has to be unloaded but I am unsure of any code about leaving the action open.

Anything would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
James

ufcfanvt

imported post

No requirement for action to be open. There's no requirement for it to be unloaded either.
To carry any center-fire rifle w/ a magazine of 20 or more, you have to have a CHP in SOME counties/cities in the Commonwealth:
Cities of Alexandria, Chesapeake, Fairfax, Falls Church, Newport News, Norfolk, Richmond, or Virginia Beach or in the Counties of Arlington, Fairfax, Henrico, Loudoun, or Prince William
This is the only law anyone has found that would affect Rifle OC:
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-287.4

Transporting a LOADED long-gun in a vehicle MAY be regulated locally, with limitations:
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+15.2-915.2

There have been limitations related to hunting that most wouldn't regard as applying to a guy w/ an AK/AR. Look for them using the search function on the site I linked here.

MSC 45ACP

imported post

ufcfanvt wrote:
No requirement for action to be open. There's no requirement for it to be unloaded either.
To carry any center-fire rifle w/ a magazine of 20 or more, you have to have a CHP in SOME counties/cities in the Commonwealth:
Cities of Alexandria, Chesapeake, Fairfax, Falls Church, Newport News, Norfolk, Richmond, or Virginia Beach or in the Counties of Arlington, Fairfax, Henrico, Loudoun, or Prince William
This is the only law anyone has found that would affect Rifle OC:
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-287.4

Transporting a LOADED long-gun in a vehicle MAY be regulated locally, with limitations:
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+15.2-915.2

There have been limitations related to hunting that most wouldn't regard as applying to a guy w/ an AK/AR. Look for them using the search function on the site I linked here.

Sorry to dig up this old horse, but the post in bold red above in inaccurate. Very CLOSE to the law, but ONE ROUND makes a difference... Read the link and it indicates a magazine that holds MORE than 20 rounds unless you have a CHP. If you have 20 round magazines, you CAN CARRY OPENLY in those places as well as anywhere else. I bought some 20-round mags for my AK for that reason, even though I havea CHP. I want my kids to be able to carry the rifle in the event we have another big storm where power goes out and opportunists (read criminals) take advantage of the situation and commit mischief and mayhem.

If you have a magazine that holds MORE than 20, then you need a CHP in those localities...

ONE round makes a difference!

mercutio545

imported post

§ 15.2-915.2. Regulation of transportation of a loaded rifle or shotgun. The governing body of any county or city may by ordinance make it unlawful for any person to transport, possess or carry a loaded shotgun or loaded rifle in any vehicle on any public street, road, or highway within such locality. Any violation of such ordinance shall be punishable by a fine of not more than $100. Conservation police officers, sheriffs and all other law-enforcement officers shall enforce the provisions of this section. No ordinance adopted pursuant to this section shall be enforceable unless the governing body adopting such ordinance so notifies the Director of the Department of Game and Inland Fisheries by registered mail prior to May 1 of the year in which such ordinance is to take effect. The provisions of this section shall not apply to duly authorized law-enforcement officers or military personnel in the performance of their lawful duties, nor to any person who reasonably believes that a loaded rifle or shotgun is necessary for his personal safety in the course of his employment or business. (1976, c. 506, § 18.2-287.1; 1977, c. 377; 1989, c. 50; 2004, c. 462.)

So if I'm a delivery driver, and there is no policy against carrying at work, then this would mean I could carry a loaded shotgun/rifle while working, right? I read some article talking about the top 10 most dangerous jobs, and delivery was #9 or something. Also, if I have a CHP, could it be covered up? I don't really transport my long guns that much, so not too schooled on these codes.

mpg9999

imported post

mercutio545 wrote:
§ 15.2-915.2. Regulation of transportation of a loaded rifle or shotgun. The governing body of any county or city may by ordinance make it unlawful for any person to transport, possess or carry a loaded shotgun or loaded rifle in any vehicle on any public street, road, or highway within such locality. Any violation of such ordinance shall be punishable by a fine of not more than $100. Conservation police officers, sheriffs and all other law-enforcement officers shall enforce the provisions of this section. No ordinance adopted pursuant to this section shall be enforceable unless the governing body adopting such ordinance so notifies the Director of the Department of Game and Inland Fisheries by registered mail prior to May 1 of the year in which such ordinance is to take effect. The provisions of this section shall not apply to duly authorized law-enforcement officers or military personnel in the performance of their lawful duties, nor to any person who reasonably believes that a loaded rifle or shotgun is necessary for his personal safety in the course of his employment or business. (1976, c. 506, § 18.2-287.1; 1977, c. 377; 1989, c. 50; 2004, c. 462.)

So if I'm a delivery driver, and there is no policy against carrying at work, then this would mean I could carry a loaded shotgun/rifle while working, right? I read some article talking about the top 10 most dangerous jobs, and delivery was #9 or something. Also, if I have a CHP, could it be covered up? I don't really transport my long guns that much, so not too schooled on these codes.

Since its a concealed handgun permit, you may not conceal a rifle or shotgun. If I were a delivery driver I would just carry a concealed handgun.

mercutio545

imported post

mpg9999 wrote:
mercutio545 wrote:

Since its a concealed handgun permit, you may not conceal a rifle or shotgun. If I were a delivery driver I would just carry a concealed handgun.
I do carry a concealed handgun, but I was just wondering about that. It's always good to have more gun than less gun in a gunfight! I sometimes deliver to some pretty unsavory neighborhoods. That is common sense though, concealed HANDGUN permit. I knew that.:p

Thundar

imported post

Be careful with this law.

Richmond has defined loaded as any ammunitionattached tothe rifle or shotgun, so even if the pipe is empty they wcan charge you for having it loaded. I would give you the cite, but Richmond is not on Municode.

wylde007

imported post

Thundar wrote:
Richmond has defined loaded as any ammunitionattached tothe rifle or shotgun, so even if the pipe is empty they can charge you for having it loaded. I would give you the cite, but Richmond is not on Municode.
How does the state define it? I find not cite in RVA code.

http://municipalcodes.lexisnexis.com/codes/richmondva/

Preemption covers ALL aspects of firearms law, not just the firearms themselves.

nova

imported post

mercutio545 wrote:
Referring to the same bolded words, when it says business, does that refer to a job, or "business" in the sense of "you have no business being here"? Why would they distinguish between employment and business if they meant the same thing in this law?

Just wondering if I can have a shotgun "cruiser ready" in my pickup sometimes in Fairfax Co.

Thanks in advance.

MSC 45ACP

imported post

After the last big storm when the power was ot for more than a few hours, we went for a family walk around the neighborhood. Everyone in the neighborhood was helping each other out and most were armed because of rumors of opportunistic scumbags visiting. Even my two youngest kids got to carry...

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

So, the kids walked around the neighborhood carrying those guns? Were the guns loaded at the time they were walking around?

MSC 45ACP wrote:
After the last big storm when the power was ot for more than a few hours, we went for a family walk around the neighborhood. Everyone in the neighborhood was helping each other out and most were armed because of rumors of opportunistic scumbags visiting. Even my two youngest kids got to carry...

attachment.php

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
With a very strict ROE and adult supervision, they were carried IAW with the Family Home Security Plan.

;)

Semper Paratus
How long was the electirical outage?

nova

imported post

nova wrote:
nor to any person who reasonably believes that a loaded rifle or shotgun is necessary for his personal safety in the course of his employment or business. (1976, c. 506, § 18.2-287.1; 1977, c. 377; 1989, c. 50; 2004, c. 462.)
Referring to the same bolded words, when it says business, does that refer to a job, or "business" in the sense of "you have no business being here"? Why would they distinguish between employment and business if they meant the same thing in this law?

Just wondering if I can have a shotgun "cruiser ready" in my pickup sometimes in Fairfax Co.

Thanks in advance.
to answer part of my own question, I looked through the Fairfax County weapons ordinances and did not find anything prohibiting rifle/shotgun (loaded or unloaded) carry in a vehicle (obviously it would have to be 'open carry' visible due to the CCW law).

http://www.municode.com/resources/gateway.asp?pid=10051&sid=46

Now, to go find out about other surrounding counties. :lol:

ufcfanvt

imported post

nova wrote:
to answer part of my own question, I looked through the Fairfax County weapons ordinances and did not find anything prohibiting rifle/shotgun (loaded or unloaded) carry in a vehicle (obviously it would have to be 'open carry' visible due to the CCW law).

When you find it, please post... Your public awaits!

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

ufcfanvt wrote:
nova wrote:

When you find it, please post... Your public awaits!
There isn't anty need to go through that. If it isn.t here, it isn't enforceable:
http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/hunting/regulations/local-ordinances.pdf