• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New to site from Illinois

junglebob

imported post

scarylarry99 wrote:
I live in small town we go for walks outside of town can I open carry?
Good question. You may want to look at the topic "Has anyone open carried in Rural Illinois?" I've OCd myself on my rural area not far from the Shawnee National Forest in Southern Illinois. It was however brought up in a topic about "open carry in the Shawnee National Forest" in a topic on the IllinoisCarry.com/forum that I referenced in the post here. Seems it may be illegal under aggravated UUW legislation. Since you live in town I guess you'd have to carry your handgun unloaded and encased til you got outside of town and then open carry in any case. That seems rather awkward to me.

You might want to consider in any event if someone on the route you walk will make a "man with a gun" call to the sheriff's department. I've OCd a few times while on walks on my road, prior to reading that it might bring an agrivated UUW charge. Only 3 other folks on my road. I met one while walking, don't know if she even noticed my handgun. We greeted each other and she walked past going in the other direction.

scarylarry99

imported post

Thanks for the reply. I guess I should mention that I live on the very edge of town and about 20 paces and I am out of town so carrying it cased shouldn't be a issue. You know I am trying to be a legal gun owner and they are making it easier to not be one. Mybe I will Fanny pack it and get away with it? I live on the border of Indiana and have a PA concealed carry as soon as I cross the line. Really frustrating. Like the site.

jayspapa

imported post

scarylarry99 ,

I live in Southern Illinois ( Jefferson Co. ) . I have always carried openly when out walking among the fields and woods and also carried along the roads in my area. However , I was speaking to the sheriff last year and he informed me that I would be arrested if caught walking on a road with a gun openly carried.

He also told me that open carry was for hunting purposes. I of course argued with him but to no avail. So really it just depends on how the local leo's feel about such things. :banghead:

By the way , if I were still able to get out and walk through the woods like I used to , I would still have my sidearm on my belt.

Good luck to you.