• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Senator Chap Petersen blogs that pro-gun Dems do not suffer in Northern Virginia

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Ox Road South published a new entry entitled "Another NoVA vs. RoVA Article" on 8/21/2009 9:11:15 AM, written by Chap.

[line]

Another NoVA vs. RoVA Article

I'm going to clash with my good friend Not Larry Sabato on this one (sorry Ben).

I like Sandhya Samoshekar but I thoughther article on Northern VA and the Deeds campaign was the pits. First of all, it reduces NoVA voters to stereotypes thatare deceptive at best. Secondly, it completely ignores the past fewelection cycles in Virginia. Third, it ignores the driving force behind the economy and politics of Northern Virginia.

Here are the points I take issue with.

1. "NoVA voters won't support a candidate from rural Virginia."Really? Because in the primarytwo months ago, Democratic voters in this area had a clear and obvious choice between the RURAL CANDIDATE and two NORTHERN VIRGINIA CANDIDATES. And Deeds won easily with a campaign that did not hide his country roots.

2. "NoVA voters distrust a candidate that 'embraces gun rights.'" This statementis so wrong it's almost farcical. Is the Post aware that Jim Webb and Mark Warner are both "pro-gun" Democrats representing Virginia in the U.S. Congress? And both were easily elected in Northern Virginia in 2006 and 2008, running well ahead of other Democrats? Is the Post aware that "anti-gun" attack ads against Deedsfailed miserably in the Democratic primary in June? Is the Post aware that Fairfax County has more concealed carry permits than any other jurisdiction in Virginia? There is no evidence that Democrats with a strong record on Second Amendment issues suffer in northern Virginia.

3. "NoVA voters are highly-educated liberals who listen to NPR and hate country music and NASCAR." Okay, these are my words. And there is a grain of truth behind every stereotype. But the "MSNBC and Zinfandel" crowd won't give you 50,000 vote margins in Fair fax County. No they won't. Because they are a small portion of the County. Let me elaborate ...

The white vote in Fairfax County is about evenly split between R's and D's. Outside the Beltway, it may trend slight to R's. That has been pretty consistent year after year. Take it from someone who has knocked about 50,000 doors in Fairfax County.

What has changed the Countyhas been the minority presence all over(save a few select neighborhoods) whichhasincreasingly pushed the margins to Democrats in recent years.

To look at it another way, I grew up in Fairfax City which is right in the heart of NoVA. In my graduating high school class (1986), the students were 90% white. Andthe City was solidly Republican. In 2009, the graduating class is over 50% black, Asian or Hispanic. And the City is Democratic. Are you getting it now?

The "average" Northern Virginia voter today isancomputerengineer born in Bombay and living in Reston or a Central American family livingalong Route Oneor a middle-class black family inDale City or a Koreanretail store ownerin Burke.You meet them at church, at the grocery store, at the Back to School nights. They're focused on education for their kids,enough customers for their businessand care for their elderly parents.Same issues as everyone else in Virginia.

If you can reach these voters, you win. If you can't, then you lose.

Leveraging participation from all voters -- notjust those with season tickets to Wolf Trap -- is what wins elections. That is far more important thana perfect score from NARAL orgood press on "DailyKos." That is not what motivates general election voters, not even in northern Virginia.

Again, I'm not just slammingthe Post for playing the predi ctable regional card. Some of us have endured the "Real Virginia" and "Fake Virginia" nonsense for too long now.

There's a lot morethat we share in Virginia than the media wants to admit.

Permalink: oxroadsouth.com/2009/08/21/another-nova-vs-rova-article.aspx

Milbars

imported post

Fairfax County has more CHP's than any other jurisdiction in Virginia? Awww! Does that mean in the Tidewater area more people OC than CC? Looks like we got some competition! :lol:

fryfrye

imported post

I also find the MSNBC thing a tad funny. I live in Arlington, and when I check the "top shows being watched in your area" function, FOX NEWS is always #1 or #2. Then again, perhaps the "in your area" could be all of VA :)

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Glock27Bill wrote:
Peterson was fine with cops carrying in restaurants & drinking,but not you and I when sober.

I am tracking Petersen having a change of heart on that one in 2009 and voted not just for the bill, but also voted to override Governor Kaine's veto of the bill this year that would have repealed the ban on concealed carry in restaurants serving alcohol - see http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?091+vot+SV1059SB1035+SB1035.
--

SB 1035 Concealed handguns; prohibited in restaurants, etc when consuming alcohol. Vetoed

log in | tally sheet floor: 04/08/09 Senate: Motion to pass in enrolled form rejected (24-Y 16-N)

[line]

YEAS--Blevins, Cuccinelli, Deeds, Edwards, Hanger, Houck, Hurt, Martin, McDougle, Newman, Obenshain, Petersen, Puckett, Quayle, Reynolds, Ruff, Smith, Stolle, Stosch, Stuart, Vogel, Wagner, Wampler, Watkins--24.

NAYS--Barker, Colgan, Herring, Howell, Locke, Lucas, Marsh, McEachin, Miller, J.C., Miller, Y.B., Norment, Northam, Puller, Saslaw, Ticer, Whipple--16.

RULE 36--0.

NOT VOTING--0.

Senator Blevins stated that he was recorded as voting yea on the question of the passage of the enrolled form of S.B. 1035, notwithstanding the objections of the Governor, whereas he intended to vote nay.

markand

imported post

Shortly before the veto vote, my wife and I had occasion to speak with Petersen privately when he attended a function in our neighborhood. We encouraged him to vote to override the governors veto. Not sure we can claim we influenced him all that much, but he did say he thought the restaurant ban would eventually be repealed.

I would add the comment that ANTI-gun politicians can, and sometimes DO suffer from their anti-gun positions. State senator Jane Woods and US Representative Jeane-Marie Devolites-Davis come to mind as Republicans who were no friends of the second amendment and who lost their respective elections.