• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

oc

easy

imported post

Hi, I am new to here. I don’t have a cpl yet but it is pending and should have it in about 4 weeks with a bit of luck. I live in Jackson and I have been OC while walking the dog “mostly at night”. Now I see that a lot of you OC in stores and such but I was wondering is do you need a CPL to open carry in these stores? Never the less I think I will wait until I get my CPL before I try OC in a business.

Thanks all

Generaldet

President, CLSD, Inc., Oxford, Michigan, USA
imported post

Welcome to the forum EASY.

It depends on the store. If you are talking about Miejer, Kroger, or any store that has a license to sell liquor then the answer is no, not without a cpl. If on the other hand you are referring to, best buy, staples, starbucks etc then yes you may.

I suggest you start here http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum30/13328.html
read and reread the information. You should try to make it out to the Jackson picnic.

tygereye

imported post

Welcome Easy...

Open carrying into a store, without a CPL depends on the establishment. If it is privately owned, they can tell you they don't want sidearms on their property. If that is the case, once you have been informed by the owner you must leave... Wether or not you return unarmed is essentially up to you, but many on here, will just go, and never return. Usually a follow up with the owner to attempt to inform them of the laws, and how many will potentially no longer be shopping there. Sometime's this works, sometime's it doesn't.

If the establishment sells alcohol, either to be consumed, or not...(this includes Meijer, Kroger, Kmart, ect., and many restaurants, and gas stations) you MUST have a CPL to open carry, or conceal carry.

Please add Michigan to your location to help us boost our numbers.

Make sure you read, read and read again, the threads "Wash, Rinse, Repeat" and "Michigan Open Carry Info here"

Again, Welcome!! Great bunch of people on this forum!!!

Tygereye

DanM

imported post

As far as any concern with OC'ing in stores, without a CPL, there is a restriction on firearms carry in any place that has a liquor license. That includes stores that sell liquor or beer. CPL holders are exempt. Thus, if you do not have a CPL you may not lawfully OC in a store which sellsliquor or beer.

cabman1

imported post

Just a quick question how did you find out about the forum?

We are hosting an cpl class on the 26th of September if your interested the cost is only 100.00 I think I have room to take 1 more person!!

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

easy wrote:

Hi, I am new to here. I don’t have a cpl yet but it is pending and should have it in about 4 weeks with a bit of luck. I live in Jackson and I have been OC while walking the dog “mostly at night”. Now I see that a lot of you OC in stores and such but I was wondering is do you need a CPL to open carry in these stores? Never the less I think I will wait until I get my CPL before I try OC in a business.

Thanks all
Welcome and stay and read the info thread at the top of the main page.

You can OC on private property, but two things to remember. You can not have a firearm in any place that sells alcohol,..no Meijer's, gas stations that sell beer, etc.

Also any private property owner or their agent can control what can be be allowed on their property so if they ask you to leave or to take the firearm to your car you have to do so.

Michigander

imported post

What you need to do is probably go and separate the city and stuff by category. If you put them all together under state, it won't work. When you go to change it it asks for country state and city separately. Make sure that each item is where it belongs, not just in one place.

conservative85

imported post

easy wrote:

Thanks all
Welcome to the site hope to see you at a future meet and greet.