• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Idaho wolf hunt not just about saving game animals

Dave Workman

j2l3

imported post

FunkTrooper wrote:
I really hope Mayor 5 pennies doesn't get elected, I hate politicians that think they know better than the people they work for.
Time to catch up my friend. He conceded the election this morning. It would take something extraordinary for him to win now.

j2l3

imported post

I emailed them both this morning asking their positions on that exact topic. I plan to post their responses here if I get them.

gsx1138

imported post

From what I've read they are both enviro nutjobs. How nutty I don't know. I don't live in Seattle so I don't care that much. However, I don't like the pull that city has in Olympia. Out here on the Peninsula we like our guns.

SANDRAT

imported post

gsx1138 wrote:
From what I've read they are both enviro nutjobs. How nutty I don't know. I don't live in Seattle so I don't care that much. However, I don't like the pull that city has in Olympia. Out here on the Peninsula we like our guns.
I don't live in Seattle either,but I do a lot of work there,not to mention our fellow members of this site that do live in Seattle.I think McGinn is the worst of the two as he brands himself as a "Sierra Club Activist".I don't think either could come even close to Nickels Anti-Gun Rhetoric.

Aaron1124

imported post

I don't really get what the environment has to do with gun rights. I'm not pointing the finger at anyone here, but it seems as if whenever someone is known for being pro environment, they're often accused of being anti-gun. Why I don't know.

I happen to be VERY pro environment and VERY pro gun. I donate money to wildlife and national forest conservation on a monthly basis. I buy locally grown organic produce. I look at the big picture, and understand what a lot of self proclaimed "environmentalists" are missing. Many environmentalists support buying organic, but also support shipping these products across the country. I say support our local growers.

I happen to be a registered member of the NRA as well.

jinj

imported post

I totally agree with Aaron1124.

But I'm VERY pro wildlife, and VERY anti-hunting for fun, very pro gun too.

So you see, they're not connected at all for me. I'm also VERY VERY pro-wolf, I donate to many pro-wolf charities.

gsx1138

imported post

Aaron1124 wrote:
I don't really get what the environment has to do with gun rights. I'm not pointing the finger at anyone here, but it seems as if whenever someone is known for being pro environment, they're often accused of being anti-gun. Why I don't know.

I happen to be VERY pro environment and VERY pro gun. I donate money to wildlife and national forest conservation on a monthly basis. I buy locally grown organic produce. I look at the big picture, and understand what a lot of self proclaimed "environmentalists" are missing. Many environmentalists support buying organic, but also support shipping these products across the country. I say support our local growers.

I'm also for the environment as long as what you're doing is scientifically sound and not just feel good bullshit. My opinion of environmentalists is tainted by the whack jobs who don't actually do their research. Watch the Penn and Teller "Bullshit" on Organic Food. I do support buying locally grown food for purely economic reasons.

Also, it's the whack job environmentalists who get all the press and tend to go to other feel good groups like the Brady Bunch. That is not all of them of course so my statement is a generalization. I'm more for conservation because it requires some thought as opposed to getting something because it's "Green" approved. I'd call Ted Nugent a far better steward of the environment than most people who are trying to "go green". And he's crazy.

Aaron1124

imported post

gsx1138 wrote:
Aaron1124 wrote:

I'm also for the environment as long as what you're doing is scientifically sound and not just feel good bull@#$%. My opinion of environmentalists is tainted by the whack jobs who don't actually do their research. Watch the Penn and Teller "Bull@#$%" on Organic Food. I do support buying locally grown food for purely economic reasons.

Also, it's the whack job environmentalists who get all the press and tend to go to other feel good groups like the Brady Bunch. That is not all of them of course so my statement is a generalization. I'm more for conservation because it requires some thought as opposed to getting something because it's "Green" approved. I'd call Ted Nugent a far better steward of the environment than most people who are trying to "go green". And he's crazy.
I agree for the most part, but that episode of Penn and Teller was indeed, a bit bull*$!t. Their concluded that organic food didn't have any additional health benefits as oppose to non organic food, but the reason for buying organic isn't for additional health benefits, it's to avoid the potentially dangerous artificial chemicals, pesticides and other synthetic crap put in a lot of food. I think it's pretty much safe to say that organic is better for your overall health than non organic, just because we don't know how safe these synthetic chemicals really are. Hell, some of them have been linked to various health ailments in lab rats. I'd just rather go organic than risk it. I also purchase my organic produce and fruit locally for economic reasons, like you said.

SANDRAT

imported post

jinj wrote:
I totally agree with Aaron1124.

But I'm VERY pro wildlife, and VERY anti-hunting for fun, very pro gun too.

So you see, they're not connected at all for me. I'm also VERY VERY pro-wolf, I donate to many pro-wolf charities.
Most people who are "VERY VERY pro-wolf" are driven by emotions,rather than scientific fact.

Do you honestly think that something as unpopular for much of the public as a Wolf Hunt,would be conducted with no scientific basis at all?I can answer that with a big NO!The fact is that Wolves are very damaging to game animal populations.Game animals and birds are what foot the bill for much of the private conservation efforts.It is called game management.

As far as the remark about "Hunting for Fun",I can only speak for myself,yes,I hunt because I enjoy it,If I were to add up all the money tied up in licenses,clothing,optics,rifles,fuel and camping equipment,not to mention the time in pre-season scouting and divide it by the pounds of meat on the table each season,It would be the most expensive meat on the planet!Hell Yea I hunt because it's fun!BTW,I don't even shoot a deer or bear these days with a rifle unless it beats my personal best,so I guess that makes me a "Trophy Hunter"also.

Aaron1124

imported post

People can do what they want to do. I've always said that. I don't really think it's immoral. It's nature. Animals kill other animals on a regular basis, in a much more gruesome way than any hunting rifle does. Crocodiles have been known to "kill for sport" and not just for hunting. Many animals go out of their way to kill because they enjoy it.
I love animals. I feel they're a great part of our environment. I would honestly feel if an animal is driven to extinction. A forest with a river flowing in the middle of it is an amazing sight, but it honestly wouldn't be the same without wildlife. That doesn't mean I'm against hunting, because hunting is natural. It's nature. To each his own.

SANDRAT

imported post

Aaron,I'm not talking in favor of eradication by any means,just balance.Unfortunately,the growth of humans has thrown the whole natural order off,when you have more predators than prey,it throws everything out of kilter.The vast majority of hunters are ethical sportsmen,and try our best to police our own.

SANDRAT

imported post

Aaron,I'm not talking in favor of eradication by any means,just balance.Unfortunately,the growth of humans has thrown the whole natural order off,when you have more predators than prey,it throws everything out of kilter.The vast majority of hunters are ethical sportsmen,and try our best to police our own.