Thread: Gun hardcase with Cable Lock on Gun - Keys?

Post imported post

So I did some searching on this forum regarding locked carry of a pistol. If I enter a restricted zone I am sure to lock my firearm up.
    Are there any instances of case law or direct law regarding the key being in the lock?

Post imported post

SomeGuyInCali wrote:
    So I did some searching on this forum regarding locked carry of a pistol. If I enter a restricted zone I am sure to lock my firearm up.
    Are there any instances of case law or direct law regarding the key being in the lock?

I don't know if I am making an assumption of not, so a quick question for clarity.

1. Is the gun locked with just the cable lock shown?

2. Is the hard case locked also?

If the anwer to #2 is "NO", then you are illegally transporting a concealed weapon.

The gun has to be totally enclosed in a secure container, and the container itself has to be locked. If this is not the case, then you are in violation of PC 12025.

Founder's Club Member MudCamper's Avatar

Post imported post

A cable lock is only good for "child safety" and not for transport.

Post imported post

OKay... I'm playing devils advocate here... What is the purpose of the locked container? Is it to secure the gun from immediate use? Or is it to prevent others from readily seeing it?

State Researcher

Post imported post

SomeGuyInCali wrote:
    OKay... I'm playing devils advocate here... What is the purpose of the locked container? Is it to secure the gun from immediate use? Or is it to prevent others from readily seeing it?
    Since the statute doesn't require opaque containers, I don't think anybody could argue the purpose is to prevent visibility. The only statutory requirments for the container are: (1) fully-enclosed and (2) secured with a lock.

Cable locks obviously don't satisfy the former requirement.

And to answer your original question:

There's no statute or case law that I am aware of that defines "secure", so it would be up to the judge/jury to decide. My guess is they would think that having the key in the lock would make your container not secure any more.

Participant in the Free State Project - "Liberty in Our Lifetime" - www.freestateproject.org
    Supporter of the CalGuns Foundation - http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/
    Supporter of the Madison Society - www.madison-society.org

Don't Tread On Me.