• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun hardcase with Cable Lock on Gun - Keys?

SomeGuyInCali

imported post

So I did some searching on this forum regarding locked carry of a pistol. If I enter a restricted zone I am sure to lock my firearm up.
Are there any instances of case law or direct law regarding the key being in the lock?

Decoligny

imported post

SomeGuyInCali wrote:
So I did some searching on this forum regarding locked carry of a pistol. If I enter a restricted zone I am sure to lock my firearm up.
Are there any instances of case law or direct law regarding the key being in the lock?

I don't know if I am making an assumption of not, so a quick question for clarity.

1. Is the gun locked with just the cable lock shown?

2. Is the hard case locked also?

If the anwer to #2 is "NO", then you are illegally transporting a concealed weapon.

The gun has to be totally enclosed in a secure container, and the container itself has to be locked. If this is not the case, then you are in violation of PC 12025.

SomeGuyInCali

imported post

OKay... I'm playing devils advocate here... What is the purpose of the locked container? Is it to secure the gun from immediate use? Or is it to prevent others from readily seeing it?

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

SomeGuyInCali wrote:
OKay... I'm playing devils advocate here... What is the purpose of the locked container? Is it to secure the gun from immediate use? Or is it to prevent others from readily seeing it?
Since the statute doesn't require opaque containers, I don't think anybody could argue the purpose is to prevent visibility. The only statutory requirments for the container are: (1) fully-enclosed and (2) secured with a lock.

Cable locks obviously don't satisfy the former requirement.

And to answer your original question:

There's no statute or case law that I am aware of that defines "secure", so it would be up to the judge/jury to decide. My guess is they would think that having the key in the lock would make your container not secure any more.