• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

SHERIFF MAY START ISSUING WEAPONS PERMITS

AyatollahGondola

imported post

http://www.sacramentopress.com/headline/12382/SHERIFF_MAY_START_ISSUING_WEAPONS_PERMITS

Sheriff John McGuinness may soon begin issuing more concealed weapons permits, if his statements to the board of supervisors and to talk-show host Eric Hogue are to be believed. Currently, on the sheriff's website, he explains that "[t]he mere fear of victimization, or desire to carry a firearm, shall be insufficient good cause to issue a gun carry permit." However, faced with cuts that would require lay-offs of deputies, McGuinness said, "If we wind up with six patrol cars patrolling the entire county of Sacramento, I have no choice but to make some changes in terms of the issuance of concealed weapons permits." (http://hoguenews.com/?p=904)

Recently, the sheriffs of Sacramento and Yolo Counties were sued in Federal court. The lawsuit, brought on behalf of Pink Pistols advocate Deanna Sykes and others, alleges that the current policy violates the US Constitution in a number of ways, and should be declared unlawful. For example, two people working in Sacramento might be unequally treated, based on arbitrary reasons, even if they have the same backgrounds and qualifications. One person, living in Folsom, cannot ever obtain a concealed weapon permit for personal protection, but his neighbor living a short distance away in El Dorado Hills can have one for the asking, as the El Dorado County Sheriff is not so restrictive. However, if the El Dorado Hills resident moves to Folsom, Sheriff McGinness will immediately revoke his permit.

Plaintiffs believe their case is so clear, based on recent cases from the Ninth Circuit and the US Supreme Court, they have asked for a Summary Judgment ruling. A hearing on that request will be held September 24, with a decision due a few months after. Additionally, the lawitself may change. Pending legislation, AB 357, will require issuance of permits upon request by qualified, responsible persons.
I'm not sure if he's still trying bluff his way into more funding from the County supes, but in addition, I think he's going to make a run at the state legislature. Either way, he's already announced his intention not to run for sheriff upcoming, so any permits issued could be short lived.