• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Car.gov

T Vance

imported post

I think you are right, but regardless it has a disclaimer that says that. If someone were to click on the wrong things it's possible they could end up there. I did notice that the wording has been changed on that page, but I was able to get to the login page.

Regardless, if you had an access code (ie...you or relative works for a dealership), its possible they coulduse their own personal PC to login and allow access.

T Vance

imported post

Springfield Smitty wrote:
I am not so sure I believe the article that said it was all a misunderstanding. I am outraged and very frightened at what our country is turning into.

+1001!!!

It's best to know listen to both sides of the story, but from the other evidence of shady things I have seen our own government pull off (and try and pull off), I wouldn't be suprised at this one. Hell, I remember hearing not too long ago that they were going to start (or thinking about starting) checking peoples PC's, MP3 players, and phones for copyright infringed materials at security check points at the airports. I wouldn't put it past them to start this crap.

KittyBomb

imported post

T Vance wrote:

+1001!!!

It's best to know listen to both sides of the story, but from the other evidence of shady things I have seen our own government pull off (and try and pull off), I wouldn't be suprised at this one. Hell, I remember hearing not too long ago that they were going to start (or thinking about starting) checking peoples PC's, MP3 players, and phones for copyright infringed materials at security check points at the airports. I wouldn't put it past them to start this crap.
I have heard that too. I couldn't find the article but did read that not too long ago.

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/story.html?id=ae997868-220b-4dae-bf4f-47f6fc96ce5e
Looks like Canada is pushing for even more than that.

PDinDetroit

imported post

Guys -

Has been debunked, did not have that exact wording there. However, I know that the Automakers have similar language for other sites that the Dealer's use with their own PC's (most dealers are not wholly owned subsidiaries of their respective manufacturer). Most big companies have similar language that applies to employees so that they can "scan your PC's for viruses when attaching to the Network". So, when you connect your Home PC to their network, you agree to having your activities monitored (this means login, not initial site access). Most of the ISP's have similar statements and most people are unaware due to "not reading the fine print".

The internet is a PUBLIC PLACE and no guarantee of safety and privacy can be expected UNLESS YOU PROVIDE IT (kinda like owning a GUN). I HIGHLY SUGGEST the use of FIREWALLS (Software and Hardware based), Virus Protection, Transport and Storage Encryption, and Malicious Software Prevention/Detection/Removal.

This is coming from an IT Guy, to whom security is a focus/passion.

For any interested, here is some more information that discusses what the US Govt may undertake for Cybersecurity: http://csis.org/files/media/csis/pubs/081208_securingcyberspace_44.pdf