• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ammo Questions

WCrawford

imported post

I know that .357 revolvers can fire .38 ammo, and I was curious if other firearms had some similar crossovers, especially auto-loaders.

Could a 10MM auto chamber, fire, and rechamber a .40 reliably?

Could a .22LR auto use .22 short?

Could a .357 Sig auto use .38 ammo?

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I know a firearm chambered for .22LR can shoot shorts and longs (haven't seen much of either of the later rounds though). But a semi-auto chambered for .22LR may have trouble with the shorter .22 rounds, as far as feeding goes.

Don't try a .45LC in a .410 shotgun, unless the shotgun has been specifically designed to shoot both.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

I know that .357 revolvers can fire .38 ammo, and I was curious if other firearms had some similar crossovers, especially auto-loaders.
Could a 10MM auto chamber, fire, and rechamber a .40 reliably?
It may chamber and fire a .40 S&W, but i think that may only happen once. it would force the bullet to be make a jump from the chamber to the rifling and would most likely get stuck in the barrel waiting for that next round to make the gun come apart from an obstructed barrel.

Could a .22LR auto use .22 short?
Most definitely, but a semi-auto may have feed & eject problems, but bolt or single action would no be any problem at all, You may need to load rounds individually though instead of filling the magazine. Sub-sonic, .22 BB, CB, & shorts, rounds are nice and quiet and a stealthy back-yard varmint round without disturbing the neighbors. best in a single-shot or bolt action gun.

Could a .357 Sig auto use .38 ammo?
No, the case of a .357 Sig is a larger diameter than .38 or .357, and necked down like a rifle cartridge to hold the projectile. a .38 cartridge is noticeably thinner in diameter. the .357 sig is a .40 case necked down to hold a .38 DIA bullet.

Lets look at some similar rifle rounds that could be wrongly fed into a gun, a .308 cartridge is the same diameter, same projectile, but shorter than a 30-06 round. I believe it is just a shortened version of the 30-06 brass and fully derived from it so a 30-06 should chamber it, I do not know if it would fire it though.

The 22-250 is a .308 cartridgenecked down to accept a .224 diameterprojectile, which again is very similar to the 30-06 cartridge and would probably feed into and the firing pin would fire itfrom a .308 or a 30-06 rifle. then we get into the 22-250 ackley, or ackley improved, they would feed into one another and the firing pin would hit the primer, but from that point on, it would get ugly. I think the 6mm PPC is also real close (mostly match rifles in the .224 or 6mm caliber)

Taurus has their .45 long coltrevolver that is designed to accept & fire .410 shells.

A 45-70 Gov revolver or rifle will chamber a .45 ACP or long colt round, but I think it would end there.

I am not stating that all the things I brought up could or should be used as a crossover ammunition, just that the firearm may chamber a similar round and would "most likely" end with catastrophic results if they were to be fired or the bullet would bounce around in the barrel and the projectile would tumble downrange.

jeeper1

imported post

The 44 magnum will chamber and fire the 44 special and 44 russian. It will also chamber and fire the 44 colt but there might be extraction problems.
The 10mm will chamber the 40 s&w but probably move forward enough to not fire or fire and slam backward and damage the gun and shooter.
The 357 magnum will chamber and fire the 38 special.
DO NOT Attempt to shoot a 45 colt or 45acp in a 45-70! The 45acp will slide loosely into the rifling and the 45 colt probably go all the way into the chamber.

Your best bet is to go to
http://stevespages.com/page8d.htm
and check out the case dimensions for yourself.

WCrawford

imported post

Thanks for all the info. As this was more a matter of intellectual curiosity for me, I can see an advantage to firearms that could use multiple types of ammunition (such as the .357 revolver using .38).

Gator5713

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Most (if not all) guns that will fire multiple different calibers are revolver or single shot type guns. I do not know of ANY automatics that will fire more than one type of round.