Thread: Any one know what the U of A's policy is on open carry?

Post imported post

I know that on many of the buildings there are no gun signs posted, but I am unclear on the campus area. There are many restraunts in that area and I don't want to run into any probems. Also, I was told that you can open carry in bars as long as your not drinking and they do not have a no wepons policy. I imagine that most do have that policy but is that true? One last thing, I was also recently told that if you are denied for your CWP here that you loose your right to OC is that right? and can you get denied for things such as a DWI or POM if they are old mis. crimes? Sorry for so many questions but I have been here for only a week and just want to make sure that I am not doing anything illegal or stupid. Thanks

Post imported post

I know that on many of the buildings there are no gun signs posted, but I am unclear on the campus area. There are many restraunts in that area and I don't want to run into any probems.

Most campuses are gun free zones, just remember Virginia Tech,

Also, I was told that you can open carry in bars as long as your not drinking and they do not have a no wepons policy.

WRONG, no open carry is allowed in any place that serves liquer, CCW is allowed when the law take effect next month, providing there is not a no guns sign posted

I imagine that most do have that policy but is that true? One last thing, I was also recently told that if you are denied for your CWP here that you loose your right to OC is that right?

Depends, if you are no a denied person, ie a felon, then you can carry,

and can you get denied for things such as a DWI or POM if they are old mis. crimes?

No idea, never had either, check the AZ revised Statutes or maybe the DPS web site.

Sorry for so many questions but I have been here for only a week and just want to make sure that I am not doing anything illegal or stupid. Thanks

I recommend getting a copy of the Arizona Gun Owners guide by Alan Korwin.

Post imported post

Review chapter 31 of Arizona Revised Statutes here:

http://www.azleg.state.az.us/Arizona...s.asp?Title=13

Don't carry in Bars or Schools untill you know what the real laws are.

Stay safe
    If you woke up breathing, congratulations! You get another chance.

Post imported post

The U of A doesn't fall under the definition of a school, according to state law. However, I believe it is against campus policy. You would be asked to leave at the very least. But it is not against the law. Carrying in bars, however, is still against the law until next month as mentioned and even then only CCW.

Post imported post

When in doubt conceal and keep mouth shut. It works every time. That is if you know the difference between conceal and just covering a gun thinking you can't get made

Post imported post

nvm just talking drunk...

check with an attorney to make sure everything is legal

Post imported post

Deadly weapons are prohibited in campus buildings and on campus property. This does not apply to private property located on or near the campus. You might get some stares though, or not. I would check for signs but any place that clearly doesn't seem to be campus-owned should be ok. I've carried at the McDonald's on Speedway as well as the two Circle Ks on Speedway and 6th St. and never hada problem. UAPD sometimes acts as if UA is its own country and insists on laws that don't exist. I have heard more than one of their officers state that guns are prohibited anywhere "near the campus" including streets that cut through the campus area including Speedway. One officer even stated that homes located within the campus area cannot have guns. That is complete crap. If they are dumb enough to arrest me, I will have no problem suing them for more than 8 years of college tuition and I would likely win. Carrying on side-streets that zig-zag through the campus may be a gray area. However, I am under the impression that any public road (owned by taxpayers) that anyone can freely travel on is subject to the state preemption law. I don't see how they could legally bar you from say OCing on Cherry St. from Speedway to 6th but it isn't something I've tried yet.