Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cops want to test gun for possible crime connection

Post imported post

http://www.fayobserver.com/Articles/2009/08/21/925616

Short story - guy gets into a motor vehicle accident & gets an ambulance ride to the hospital. Before departing the scene he hands over his brand new handgun to cops, asking that they hold it till he gets out of hospital and can reclaim it. He shows up asking for his pistol and is told to come back later - they are going to do a ballistics test to see if it was ever used in a crime.

Two lessons. #1 - unless you have life-threatening injuries, call a friend and wait till they show up to hold your firearm/other stuff. #2 - do not voluntarily let the cops hold your firearm/other stuff.

Story is too confusing to figure out if he was carrying it for self defense or merely transporting it. I'm hoping the latter, as carrying an unfired (untested)handgun for self defense is too much of a gamble.

stay safe.

skidmark
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Post imported post

Sounds to me that the police are playin a fast one on him. Cops should know an unfired/brand new weapon when they see it,,sheesh. Buncha buttheads if you ask me.
    ‘‘Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.’’ Thomas Jefferson

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

I got my NIB CCW with its proof firing target.

Banned

Post imported post

skidmark wrote:
    http://www.fayobserver.com/Articles/2009/08/21/925616

Short story - guy gets into a motor vehicle accident & gets an ambulance ride to the hospital. Before departing the scene he hands over his brand new handgun to cops, asking that they hold it till he gets out of hospital and can reclaim it. He shows up asking for his pistol and is told to come back later - they are going to do a ballistics test to see if it was ever used in a crime.

Two lessons. #1 - unless you have life-threatening injuries, call a friend and wait till they show up to hold your firearm/other stuff. #2 - do not voluntarily let the cops hold your firearm/other stuff.

Story is too confusing to figure out if he was carrying it for self defense or merely transporting it. I'm hoping the latter, as carrying an unfired (untested)handgun for self defense is too much of a gamble.

stay safe.

skidmark
    Retention of property contrary to the wishes of the property owner is conversion. Have the cops arrested for yet another crime.

It never stops with these people.

Post imported post

Seems it is SOP to fire the guns that come into their possession. That may play out just fine if the gun was used in a crime and confiscated for that reason. But to do that to a firearm that was surrendered by a citizen who could legally possess it is ridiculous. I would hope that discretion and common sense would play into this. But it seems that Fayeteville thinks that gun possession = criminal. There have been quite a few problems with OC down that way too. Kind of odd for the pro military town that it is. Guess only cops and military get guns.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Banned

Post imported post

cops are criminals

the sooner everyone realizes this and stops making excuses the sooner we can be free

Post imported post

And yet they claim amazement that we return contempt for contempt.

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA

Post imported post

Sure sounds like an illegal search without a warrant or probable cause.

Banned

Post imported post

o->i wrote:
    cops are criminals

the sooner everyone realizes this and stops making excuses the sooner we can be free
    +Infinity.

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar

Post imported post

Not all cops are crooks, but they will continue to overstep what they are entitled to if we let them. Take a stand when you are right. It might mean temporary hassle, but you are doing a civic duty by making it easier for others.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Post imported post

sudden valley gunner wrote:
    Not all cops are crooks, but they will continue to overstep what they are entitled to if we let them. Take a stand when you are right. It might mean temporary hassle, but you are doing a civic duty by making it easier for others.
    Well said! Truth is all parts of government need restraints, it is the nature of government bodies to grow and to abuse if not restrained. As you said, It is out civic duty to keep them in check to the proper role, size and actions that are proper.

We are the check to the megalomania... Sadly, we have often failed in our responsibilities to keep the police and government in check and accountable. The larger we let the problem become and the more abuses we tolerate the harder harder it is to put the breaks on.

Government and law enforcement specifically is a necessity instrument of society, but the size and arrogance we let it attain is our responsible and duty to control.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Unfortunately when we became a "specialized" education society we lost the ability to encourage more citizen enforcement instead of professional enforcement.

I think we should initiate a new pay structure and budget system.

The departments will get a particular budget and employees, especially officers will receive a certain pay.

If they maintain a particular level of public safety and crime levels they will all get the same pay and same budget.

If crime goes up then individual pay goes down and pumped instead into budget. If crime goes down budget goes down and pay increases. . . a seasaw as it were.

Then they have a personal stake in fighting actual crime.

This isn't perfect, I just made it up. . . I just think that there should be something done, even if it isn't this.

Banned

Post imported post

If we take a stand when we are right, this will mean forcing the tyrant to stand down, and the cops will call out every of their ranks to back up the cop who has a gun pointed at him or her. Some cops will choose to fire at a citizen who is attempting to defend himself. Just about all Prosecutors will fabricate charges against a citizen who defends himself, and judges, ignorant and state-beholden liars they are, will back the agents of the State by ensuring phony convictions.

We will continue to be at risk until we reconstitute the militia who stands ready to come to a citizen's defense against the policearmy.

If citizens start retaliating against taserguns and handguns with their own guns, we're going to have some dead cops. Sadly, so many gun owners seem to side more with cops than Americans and would want citizens to yield to police "at the scene," regardless of right or wrong.

As I've said, I see no chance of your plan working or America again becoming a free country. The Second Amendment has failed. Nixon, Ford, Carter, Reagan, the Bushes, Clinton and Obama can impose no more brutal tyranny than the million-strong policearmy has already done. Many or most gun owners have supported each new loss of freedom and addition to state power, while mocking those who support limiting the government.

By way of example, see the reaction of the typical gun owner to the various suits the ACLU files in opposition to the various "registries."

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

o->i wrote:
    cops are criminals

Have you posted anything that is not inflammatory regarding LEOs?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Banned

Post imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
    o->i wrote:
    cops are criminals

Yata hey
    use the search function if you want to know smart guy

Post imported post

o->i wrote:
    Grapeshot wrote:
    o->i wrote:
    cops are criminals

Yata hey
    I take that as a no.

"Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

o->i wrote:
    Grapeshot wrote:
    o->i wrote:
    cops are criminals

Yata hey
    Been there done that. I have formed my own opinion based upon what I have seen. Was asking you for yours - sort of a position statement.

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Post imported post

He'd have been better off burying the weapon in a ditch and calling his buddy to dig it up while he's in the hospital.

More and more I get the feeling that the days of asking police for directions are over. No longer are they "peace officers" maintaining order and helping people. They are now "law enforcement" and exist solely to maintain the law as they and their bosses see fit.

Post imported post

N00blet45 wrote:
    He'd have been better off burying the weapon in a ditch and calling his buddy to dig it up while he's in the hospital.

More and more I get the feeling that the days of asking police for directions are over. No longer are they "peace officers" maintaining order and helping people. They are now "law enforcement" and exist solely to maintain the law as they and their bosses see fit.
    I wish I could remember the law suit and court decision, where the court decided that that is not the duty of the police to protect and serve.

Post imported post

that is just pathetic. Just more examples of law enforcement abuse of authority.

I would never voluntarily hand a firearm to the police, especially "to hold for me"

that gun owner is ignorant.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

SNIP I wish I could remember the law suit and court decision, where the court decided that that is not the duty of the police to protect and serve.
    Castlerock vs Gonzales.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castle_Rock_v._Gonzales
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

Citizen wrote:
    SNIP I wish I could remember the law suit and court decision, where the court decided that that is not the duty of the police to protect and serve.
    Castlerock vs Gonzales.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castle_Rock_v._Gonzales
    Damn you're good, and thanks.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

suntzu wrote:
    that is just pathetic. Just more examples of law enforcement abuse of authority.

I would never voluntarily hand a firearm to the police, especially "to hold for me"

that gun owner is ignorant.
    Just un-informed. There was a time when you could do that. He didn't know the policing world had changed.

Post imported post

Not all cops are crooks, but they will continue to overstep what they are entitled to if we let them.
    Really? Then the ones who are not crooks should stand up and openly take a stand against those who are and out them for everyone to see and quit hiding them and quit making excuses for them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast