• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cops want to test gun for possible crime connection

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

http://www.fayobserver.com/Articles/2009/08/21/925616

Short story - guy gets into a motor vehicle accident & gets an ambulance ride to the hospital. Before departing the scene he hands over his brand new handgun to cops, asking that they hold it till he gets out of hospital and can reclaim it. He shows up asking for his pistol and is told to come back later - they are going to do a ballistics test to see if it was ever used in a crime.

Two lessons. #1 - unless you have life-threatening injuries, call a friend and wait till they show up to hold your firearm/other stuff. #2 - do not voluntarily let the cops hold your firearm/other stuff.

Story is too confusing to figure out if he was carrying it for self defense or merely transporting it. I'm hoping the latter, as carrying an unfired (untested)handgun for self defense is too much of a gamble.

stay safe.

skidmark

KansasMustang

imported post

Sounds to me that the police are playin a fast one on him. Cops should know an unfired/brand new weapon when they see it,,sheesh. Buncha buttheads if you ask me.

smoking357

Banned
imported post

skidmark wrote:
http://www.fayobserver.com/Articles/2009/08/21/925616

Short story - guy gets into a motor vehicle accident & gets an ambulance ride to the hospital. Before departing the scene he hands over his brand new handgun to cops, asking that they hold it till he gets out of hospital and can reclaim it. He shows up asking for his pistol and is told to come back later - they are going to do a ballistics test to see if it was ever used in a crime.

Two lessons. #1 - unless you have life-threatening injuries, call a friend and wait till they show up to hold your firearm/other stuff. #2 - do not voluntarily let the cops hold your firearm/other stuff.

Story is too confusing to figure out if he was carrying it for self defense or merely transporting it. I'm hoping the latter, as carrying an unfired (untested)handgun for self defense is too much of a gamble.

stay safe.

skidmark
Retention of property contrary to the wishes of the property owner is conversion. Have the cops arrested for yet another crime.

It never stops with these people.

chiefjason

imported post

Seems it is SOP to fire the guns that come into their possession. That may play out just fine if the gun was used in a crime and confiscated for that reason. But to do that to a firearm that was surrendered by a citizen who could legally possess it is ridiculous. I would hope that discretion and common sense would play into this. But it seems that Fayeteville thinks that gun possession = criminal. There have been quite a few problems with OC down that way too. Kind of odd for the pro military town that it is. Guess only cops and military get guns.

imported post

cops are criminals

the sooner everyone realizes this and stops making excuses the sooner we can be free

old dog

imported post

And yet they claim amazement that we return contempt for contempt.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Not all cops are crooks, but they will continue to overstep what they are entitled to if we let them. Take a stand when you are right. It might mean temporary hassle, but you are doing a civic duty by making it easier for others.

DonTreadOnMe

imported post

sudden valley gunner wrote:
Not all cops are crooks, but they will continue to overstep what they are entitled to if we let them. Take a stand when you are right. It might mean temporary hassle, but you are doing a civic duty by making it easier for others.
Well said! Truth is all parts of government need restraints, it is the nature of government bodies to grow and to abuse if not restrained. As you said, It is out civic duty to keep them in check to the proper role, size and actions that are proper.

We are the check to the megalomania... Sadly, we have often failed in our responsibilities to keep the police and government in check and accountable. The larger we let the problem become and the more abuses we tolerate the harder harder it is to put the breaks on.

Government and law enforcement specifically is a necessity instrument of society, but the size and arrogance we let it attain is our responsible and duty to control.

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Unfortunately when we became a "specialized" education society we lost the ability to encourage more citizen enforcement instead of professional enforcement.

I think we should initiate a new pay structure and budget system.

The departments will get a particular budget and employees, especially officers will receive a certain pay.

If they maintain a particular level of public safety and crime levels they will all get the same pay and same budget.

If crime goes up then individual pay goes down and pumped instead into budget. If crime goes down budget goes down and pay increases. . . a seasaw as it were.

Then they have a personal stake in fighting actual crime.

This isn't perfect, I just made it up. . . I just think that there should be something done, even if it isn't this.

smoking357

Banned
imported post

sudden valley gunner wrote:
If we take a stand when we are right, this will mean forcing the tyrant to stand down, and the cops will call out every of their ranks to back up the cop who has a gun pointed at him or her. Some cops will choose to fire at a citizen who is attempting to defend himself. Just about all Prosecutors will fabricate charges against a citizen who defends himself, and judges, ignorant and state-beholden liars they are, will back the agents of the State by ensuring phony convictions.

We will continue to be at risk until we reconstitute the militia who stands ready to come to a citizen's defense against the policearmy.

If citizens start retaliating against taserguns and handguns with their own guns, we're going to have some dead cops. Sadly, so many gun owners seem to side more with cops than Americans and would want citizens to yield to police "at the scene," regardless of right or wrong.

As I've said, I see no chance of your plan working or America again becoming a free country. The Second Amendment has failed. Nixon, Ford, Carter, Reagan, the Bushes, Clinton and Obama can impose no more brutal tyranny than the million-strong policearmy has already done. Many or most gun owners have supported each new loss of freedom and addition to state power, while mocking those who support limiting the government.

By way of example, see the reaction of the typical gun owner to the various suits the ACLU files in opposition to the various "registries."

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

o->i wrote:
cops are criminals

the sooner everyone realizes this and stops making excuses the sooner we can be free
Have you posted anything that is not inflammatory regarding LEOs?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Yata hey

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
o->i wrote:
cops are criminals

Yata hey
use the search function if you want to know smart guy

sudden valley gunner

imported post

o->i wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
o->i wrote:
cops are criminals

Yata hey
I take that as a no.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

o->i wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
o->i wrote:
cops are criminals

Yata hey
Been there done that. I have formed my own opinion based upon what I have seen. Was asking you for yours - sort of a position statement.

Yata hey

N00blet45

imported post

He'd have been better off burying the weapon in a ditch and calling his buddy to dig it up while he's in the hospital.

More and more I get the feeling that the days of asking police for directions are over. No longer are they "peace officers" maintaining order and helping people. They are now "law enforcement" and exist solely to maintain the law as they and their bosses see fit.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

N00blet45 wrote:
He'd have been better off burying the weapon in a ditch and calling his buddy to dig it up while he's in the hospital.

More and more I get the feeling that the days of asking police for directions are over. No longer are they "peace officers" maintaining order and helping people. They are now "law enforcement" and exist solely to maintain the law as they and their bosses see fit.
I wish I could remember the law suit and court decision, where the court decided that that is not the duty of the police to protect and serve.