• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Safety Inspection Question

James_Liv_Co

imported post

I bought my P-85 in 1990, before being activated (National Guard) in the run up to the Gulf War. I did all the Michigan registration/permit to purchase at the time, and got the weapon safety inspection through the Pontiac police department.

Now I live in a different county. I still have the original "safety inspection" card, but it shows my address back then. I moved many years ago.

My question is- is this card still considered a valid 'safety inspection" for the purposes of documenting legal ownership prior to OC's anywhere, or is there any requirement to notify anyone of my current home? I plan to take a course soon before applying for CPL paperwork, and want to make sure I have my ducks in a row before I start the process .

Thanks in advance.

Michigander

imported post

There is no need to re register for a change of address. If you move from Escanaba to Monroe, it's all the same legally. Nobody cares. The card is also completely meaningless. You can roll it up and smoke it, file it away, or whatever else you might care to do with it. It could work well to prove it's yours in case the state police ever lost your registration information and it got stolen, but I've never even heard of that happening.

I personally threw out my little registration card years ago.

Yooper

imported post

Nothing in state law requires you to change your address, and nothing in state law requires you to carry it.

In fact, they don't even issue them anymore, but you still need the purchase permit.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

James_Liv_Co wrote:
...in 1990... I did all the Michigan registration/permit to purchase at the time, and got the weapon safety inspection through the Pontiac police department.

...original "safety inspection" card...

Yooper wrote:
...but you still need the purchase permit.

Gents, I gotta empathize with you in the Great Lakes State. :what:

In a way, I just cant grok it. You guysremind me to be grateful. Just last week I went to a gun show and picked up a Colt Delta Elite in pretty good shape. Also snagged a pristine S&W 28-2 (box, papers, "S" s/n). Man, I was happy!

I simply found them, negotiated a price, gave 'em my money, checked ID and--boom! Done. :) Each transaction tookonlya few minutes--mostlygood natured jawing about guns. Ahhh, the joy of finding treasures at a gun show....

Best of luck in getting all that red tape stuff eliminated. It's not needed. Has got to be a real drag.... :cuss:

Yooper

imported post

HankT wrote:

Best of luck in getting all that red tape stuff eliminated. It's not needed. Has got to be a real drag.... :cuss:
Oh it is. Under MI law:

You CAN NOT loan (or borrow) a handgun from another person, unless the person borrowing has a CPL.

You CAN NOT carry a loaded handgun in a vehicle, unless you have a CPL.

You must have a purchase permit to buy a pistol (unless you have a CPL, then you can fill out and send in the form yourself).

Under our laws, citizens from WI/IL/VT can not carry a handgun in this state. You have to have a CPL/CCW/CHL/CHP from your state of residence to possess a handgun here.

Hopefully, we'll get a very good pro-gun governor in the upcoming election, and have a very pro-gun majority in both houses so we can change these horrible laws.