Thread: State Parks

Post imported post

I live in Maine but will be in Jefferson NH the weekend of the 5th. I have a CCP for NH but i prefere OC when possible. Was wondering if some one could point me in the right direction concerning carry in and around the White Mountain region. Thanks alot everyone.

Post imported post

Open carry away. You can carry in state parks, as well as the White Mountain National Forrest (as they go along with the state gun laws). You can notcarry in the federal rangers stations though, as it is a federal building.

Post imported post

18 USC 930 exempts...

(d)(3) the lawful carrying of firearms or other dangerous weapons in a Federal facility incident to hunting or other lawful purposes.

The problem is, nobody wants to be the test case in a federal misdemeanor prosecution in order to get a judge to declare the obvious fact that self-defense is a "lawful purpose."

Post imported post

I would think with the Heller case, it might be easier to survive being the test case.

Post imported post

Seriously: just carry.

You'd probably have to deliberately seek out a "federal facility" like a ranger station, in order to carry in one. It's not like you might accidentally stumble into one while you're wandering through the WMNF.

Post imported post

I seem to recall there's an injunction in force against the rule change allowing carry of firearms in national parks & forests. Does anyone know if that's still the case?

Post imported post

Don't know if it still the case or not, but that ruling didn't have an impact one way or the otheron the WMNF. They always followed the same lines as the state as far as gun laws are concerned and still do.

State Researcher

Post imported post

mvpel wrote:
    I seem to recall there's an injunction in force against the rule change allowing carry of firearms in national parks & forests. Does anyone know if that's still the case?
    The rule change applied to national parks not forests. There are no national parks in NH.

National forests follow state law.

An injunction against the rule change allowing carry in national parks was granted on March 19th, that injunction is still in effect.

On May 22nd a law was passed that allows national park carry but that law won't take effect until Feb 22nd 2010.

Post imported post

MarkNH wrote:
    There are no national parks in NH.
    There is one: the Augustus Saint-Gaudens home in Cornish.

http://www.nps.gov/saga/index.htm