• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My recent Open Carry story...

Ape

imported post

So I've been OCing my 1911 all week (and probably all next week) due to my PF9 getting a new coat to wear courtesy ofa friendsconnection.
great.gif

And since I normally OC about once or twice a week I decided to go all out and go to as many places as I can to give it some exposure and test the sheeple.
Funny part is that the only one that's said a word to me yet was a little boy of about 4 or 5 years of age. He was walking out of the local gas and go with his Dad yesterday and turns to him and says....

Little Boy (LB): Look Daddy, a Policeman!

Dad: (doesn't look up) Yep, sure is.....

LB: What kind of gun is that? It's cool!

Dad: (finally looks up) That's a..... Oh! That's not a policeman son, (best part of this right here!) that's just a Man excercising his 2nd Amendment rights! ;)
icon_mrgreen.gif

LB: What's that Dad???

Dad: Why don't you ask this gentelmen what he thinks? I'll bet he has a good answer for you. (he then winks at me)

LB: What's 2nd menaments mean Sir? (as cute as it gets! lol)

So I stopped and talked to the boy and his Dad for a few and left feeling pretty good about that little boys odds of growing up with the right attitude and learning from his Dad! ;)

Other than that I've barely even garnered a few looks at me and the gun. And usually when I carry once or twice a week I get at least a couple of OMG stares or even questions. Which I must admit I kind of enjoy. In my mind it means I'm helping to cement our 2A rights as well as helping to educate the sheeple. ;)

Ian

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Awesome! Way to go dad! Good to see kids getting raised right these days.

opencarrybilly

imported post

Yes. Please. Could you give us your exact words as nearly as you can remember? This seems very important to me.

And, Thanks so much for doing this very important thing. What a joyful thing!!

Ape

imported post

FogRider wrote:
Just out of curiosity, how did you go about explaining 2A rights to a little kid?
It wasn't so much of a 2A explanation as it was about American's being given the right to defend themselves from bad people. I just gave a simple and plain jane version of howthefounding fathers knew what it was like to beheld down by a Govt, by keeping them unable to defend against anyone or anything. So now we're allowed to "try" and keep that from happening again. ;-)

mahkagari

imported post

Awww! *gush* Makes a dozen sheeple worth it! When my 4yo repeatedly asks why (as 4yos are prone to do)I'm carrying on a given day, I say the same thing. To help protect from "bad strangers". We've talked about the difference between good strangers and bad strangers. So I'd also be curious about the exchangewith the lil'un.

FogRider

imported post

Ape wrote:
It wasn't so much of a 2A explanation as it was about American's being given the right to defend themselves from bad people. I just gave a simple and plain jane version of howthefounding fathers knew what it was like to beheld down by a Govt, by keeping them unable to defend against anyone or anything. So now we're allowed to "try" and keep that from happening again. ;-)
That works too. Good job man.

Ape

imported post

Thanks FogRider..... But I'm more inclined to thank that Dad than I am to take any props for what I did. All I did was Open Carry, it was the Dad who's making sure his son knows guns aren't bad. ;-)

RayeHawk

imported post

I OC'd from Lander, Wyo to Greeley, Colo last Sunday. Since I'm a girl (and a wuss), I stop about every hour - so I probably stopped at 5 truck stops or convenience stores.

Didn't phase anyone, EXCEPT the big biker guy in full leathers who practically broke his neck watching me walk across the room.

Guy acted like he's never seen an ol' woman wearing a handgun.

;)