• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First time OC'ing

supra98

imported post

Well the first time I open carried was in Woodbridge, VA at Red Robin last night(mind you im from CA) so I did got ALOT of stares, kinda uncomfortable, but no harrasment. its not the same carring a side arm in uniform, opposed to in civilian clothes so it did feel weird. Other than that not too bad.

P.S can you open carry in malls in VA??

Legba

imported post

Glad to hear you experienced no hardships. As for VA laws regarding malls, I don't know. I expect that the mall owners have discretion as to whether they wish to permit that conduct or not, but I'm not a lawyer. In fact, I'm an awful Yankee, so don't listen to me at all... ;-/

Welcome to the forum.

-ljp

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

First, congratulations on your first OC outting. I live in the western end of the county and out here, it's a no brainer. I have OC'd in Dale City, but just once as I recall. You'll find that Virginia is VERY gun-friendly overall and most of the :what:you may be seeing is probably coming from people not native to the state I would bet.

As for Legba's comments about malls, Virginia has no laws regarding carrying on mall property providing certain exclusions do not exist. It is up to mall ownership/management whether or not they want to allow it on the premises.

DonTreadOnMe

imported post

supra98 wrote:
Well the first time I open carried was in Woodbridge, VA at Red Robin last night (mind you im from CA) so I did got ALOT of stares, kinda uncomfortable, but no harrasment. its not the same carring a side arm in uniform, opposed to in civilian clothes so it did feel weird. Other than that not too bad.

P.S can you open carry in malls in VA??

I am surprised you got much in the way of stares in Va, maybe woodbridge has few OCers. My guess is you will get less over time. If your nervous people sense it. The more confindent and relaxed you are the less people will react. You still might hid the phobic or the anti, maybe even the mis-informed cop va is very OC friendly over all.

Oh, and one other thing might have played a role. The Opancarry that took place at the heathcare debates might have the issue on a lot of peoples minds that might otherwise have not given it a second thought.

Last night I was at a mexican place in virginia beach and a guy say I was carring and seamed surpized/taken a back. He then grinned and said, "That is so weird, I was just arguing with a guy at work about that. I told him I thought you could do that in virginia, just wear ie....well anyware like walmart or whatever." I told him well, "Yes some of us carry just about everywhere we go." I held the outer door open for him and his famliy and he held the inner door for me to catch up with my girlfriend. If I had not take the time to hold the door for the guy that seamed taken a back, I would not have taken his first reaction as negitive. As it was, I think ended with a good vibe for both of us. That said, I am sure there will be some more negitive and some more possitive right now because of the political storm going on right now, given some will assosiate right now opencarry with some of the people protesting.

Anyway, I hope you keep excersizing your freedom in Va every chance you get!

2010Cobra

imported post

So ifmy gun is holstered with no bullet in the chamber, can I have it ANYwhere in my car (between the seat and jump box)? I'm in Utah and would like to OC.

Bought my first gun last month.

rpyne

imported post

2010Cobra wrote:
So ifmy gun is holstered with no bullet in the chamber, can I have it ANYwhere in my car (between the seat and jump box)? I'm in Utah and would like to OC.

Bought my first gun last month.
In Utah, there is no requirement to be unloaded while in your car.

76-10-500. Uniform law.
(1) The individual right to keep and bear arms being a constitutionally protected right, the Legislature finds the need to provide uniform laws throughout the state. Except as specifically provided by state law, a citizen of the United States or a lawfully admitted alien shall not be:
(a) prohibited from owning, possessing, purchasing, selling, transferring, transporting, or keeping any firearm at his place of residence, property, business, or in any vehicle lawfully in his possession or lawfully under his control; or
(b) required to have a permit or license to purchase, own, possess, transport, or keep a firearm.
(2) This part is uniformly applicable throughout this state and in all its political subdivisions and municipalities. All authority to regulate firearms shall be reserved to the state except where the Legislature specifically delegates responsibility to local authorities or state entities. Unless specifically authorized by the Legislature by statute, a local authority or state entity may not enact or enforce any ordinance, regulation, or rule pertaining to firearms.

76-10-504. Carrying concealed dangerous weapon -- Penalties.
(1) Except as provided in Section 76-10-503 and in Subsections (2), (3) and (4), a person who carries a concealed dangerous weapon, as defined in Section 76-10-501, including an unloaded firearm on his or her person or one that is readily accessible for immediate use which is not securely encased, as defined in this part, in or on a place other than the person's residence, property, a vehicle in the person's lawful possession, or a vehicle, with the consent of the individual who is lawfully in possession of the vehicle, or business under [his] the person's control is guilty of a class B misdemeanor
(2) A person who carries a concealed dangerous weapon which is a loaded firearm in violation of Subsection (1) is guilty of a class A misdemeanor.
(3) A person who carries concealed a sawed-off shotgun or a sawed-off rifle is guilty of a second degree felony. (4) If the concealed firearm is used in the commission of a violent felony as defined in Section 76-3-203.5, and the person is a party to the offense, the person is guilty of a second degree felony. (5) Nothing in Subsection (1) or (2) shall prohibit a person engaged in the lawful taking of protected or unprotected wildlife as defined in Title 23, Wildlife Resources Code, from carrying a concealed weapon or a concealed firearm with a barrel length of four inches or greater as long as the taking of wildlife does not occur:
(a) within the limits of a municipality in violation of that municipality's ordinances; or
(b) upon the highways of the state as defined in Section 41-6a-102.

76-10-505. Carrying loaded firearm in vehicle or on street.
(1) Unless otherwise authorized by law, a person may not carry a loaded firearm:
(a) in or on a vehicle, unless:
(i) the vehicle is in the person's lawful possession; or
(ii) the person is carrying the loaded firearm in a vehicle with the consent of the person lawfully in possession of the vehicle.
(b) on a public street; or
(c) in a posted prohibited area.
(2) Subsection (1)(a) does not apply to a minor under 18 years of age, since a minor under 18 years of age may not carry a loaded firearm in or on a vehicle.
(3) Notwithstanding Subsection (1)(a)(i) and (ii), a person may not possess a loaded rifle, shotgun, or muzzle-loading rifle in a vehicle.
(4) A violation of this section is a class B misdemeanor.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

Bustelo5% wrote:
I wanna move to VA or Utah that is so awesome your guys laws actually make sense.

Perhaps the one thing that people with whom I discuss open carry keep asking and wondering about is the fact that you just don't have any problems with it here in Virginia. I'm not saying none as in zero, but there are so few that it becomes a reported issue on this site. Granted, there could be more out there and the people involved don't even know about OCDO so it won't show up. But in my travels while OC'ing on a regular basis over the past two years and two months, it just has not happened to me yet.

People I talk to who know nothing about this "movement" find this hard to imagine or believe, especially here in Northern Virginia and its close surrounds. It's kind offunny but one gets the feeling that when people see you OC'ing, it's as though it's expected behavior and a given for living in Virginia.