• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Finally happened, Got the COP talk on OC.

triehl27

imported post

So Yesterday I had an errand to run, and while I was out I ran into a cop that I know. And during the conversation, the topic that I open carry came up. I reminded him that it was legal. "Yes we know that, now"

But then he mentioned what if some "Ninjified karate guy wants to take it away from you, you think that you could stop him or that the holster would stop him?"

ME: "Well seeing as I open carry when I still have my duty gear on and I have the same holster that you are wearing, are you saying that your duty holster is inadequate? Further more, the logic that is taught at the academy is that if someone is trying to take your gun away, without your permission, in a hostile manner, they intend to use it against you, Correct?

HIM: Yes,

ME:"So therefore I would be in proper fear of my life and/or grievous harm, and would be justified in defending myself in a reasonable manner to stop the threat to me correct?"

HIM: Um... you should just conceal it, since I know from the past you have a CCP.

ME: No, do you realize how uncomfortable it is to wear a duty belt under your duty pants? Or how bad it looks to have an untucked uniform shirt covering a full duty belt?

HIM: I'm not going to argue about this I'm telling you that if you have it on and someone is scared then it's grounds to arrest you.

ME: No, look up case law on that, a holstered weapon is not seen as a reasonable cause for alarm, especially since I am usually in uniform when I have it on.

HIM: You keep saying, Uniform, duty belt, etc. Who do you work for?

ME: Washington State ********* ********** * *********

HIM: oh,

At this point the chief of Police walks by, and stops to say hi, since it was pretty obvious that our discussion was intense. After a quick ketchup, he turns to the officer, and says
CHIEF: "Officer So and So, T******* is or has been a FFL holder, a fireams instructer, and firearms armorer for us and other townships around here on occaision, and knows more on firearms off the top of his head then our whole department after a month of study. He's worked with the armed forces in the past, and I have seen his quals, and records when he applied for the FFL, I know what his capabilities are. If he's armed, be glad he's on our side. He lives 4 doors down from me, and I am damned glad to have him on the street. And no he won't be telling you any more details. This is now over ok? Hey, T******, wife and I are BBQ'ing on Sunday wanna come over around 5?

ME: Sure, i'll walk down, Thanks.

And I got up and left.

Mind you I have NEVER had any issue up until then, and Ihave carried openly in just about every place in the commuity.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Good story , glad to know chief was on board. So you are an LEO? Glad to have one on the forum and one who stands up for rights not just "officer safety".

FunkTrooper

imported post

Yeah I really hate all there hypothetical arguments "what if a plane crashes nearby and distracts you and then a lunatic high on meth goes for your gun?".

I guess I'll cross that road when it comes to that.

opencary?

imported post

I think you are talking about Rick, He is a nice guy got oppertunity to talk to him at Dino's, He is a good friend of Manu. Thats a good thing about going to Dino's you get oppertunity to meet lots of Chief of Police from different City's and other LEOs. I have noticed that they are very open about OC and supports it. Even lots of employees from Homeland Secuirty come to Dino's, Last weekend I accompanied Manu to canada, The Border Patrol Agent at border happens to know Manu, He just joked with us a little,scanned our cards and just let us pass the border without grilling us with list of questions.

triehl27

imported post

No I work with one of the many Washington State Enforcement agencies. Most I can say, not Law Enforcement by the definition of the word. Still armed though when working, and piss off alot of people on a weekly basis.

Mostly the officer who was talking to me had no idea who I was, and that was as it should be. I work uniformed and plainclothes depending on geographic location and who I am working with. Plain cloths is usually a jacket over the duty belt.

Aaron1124

imported post

One of the famous statements I often hear is:

"So even if you are carrying your gun, what are you going to do if some guy comes up to with with his gun already drawn on you? A lot of good your gun will do then, huh!

Hammer

imported post

Makes you want to reply
What if you are standing directly under the nuclear missle? Lot of good your tinfoil hat will do you then, eh?
There's always a scenario that can be dreamed up that has no good answer. Being armed is not a perfect deterrent against crime. It is a far more effective deterrent than a cell phone call to 911.
Funny short story: Last night I met a gal who taught specialty software. She taught LE agencies, and used the software to predict high crime areas. Too often, their response was, we don't want to be there! :banghead:

Aaron1124 wrote:
One of the famous statements I often hear is:

"So even if you are carrying your gun, what are you going to do if some guy comes up to with with his gun already drawn on you? A lot of good your gun will do then, huh!

deanf

imported post

If you're wearing a uniform and duty belt, or a duty belt while carrying LE credentials, or DOC credentials, or whatever it is,then this was not a true OC/LE encounter.

For the purposes of this forum, an OC/LE encounter involves a police officer and a non-LE citizen who does not carry a gun as a required part of their employment.

opencary?

imported post

Triehl27 don't you work at liq store as loss prevention or security something like that? I know you I was with Rick last last night he reminded me who you are. I agree with D that if you are carrying a gun with uniform does not solve the purpose of OCDO. btw what happened to that your encounter with cop at your cottage? when your dogs attacked that asian lady or something like that?

Stoked

imported post

Hammer wrote:
Makes you want to reply
What if you are standing directly under the nuclear missle? Lot of good your tinfoil hat will do you then, eh?
There's always a scenario that can be dreamed up that has no good answer.

The best one I've heard was "Well, what if you're driving in your car and someone shoots you through your window from a mile away with a sniper rifle? How will carrying a gun save you then???"

:banghead:

antispam540

imported post

Stoked wrote:
Hammer wrote:
Makes you want to reply
There's always a scenario that can be dreamed up that has no good answer.

The best one I've heard was "Well, what if you're driving in your car and someone shoots you through your window from a mile away with a sniper rifle? How will carrying a gun save you then???"

:banghead:
It won't, but it'll at least let you think "damn, that's cool, wish I had one" in your last moments of life :D

triehl27

imported post

I did work part time with Liquor Control security over the holidays, but it's not my regular job.

The dog incident is ongoing with the city, Mayor's office, and city council. Got a lawyer involved a while back but there is no major grounds. All I want now is someone to take responsibility for what happened, hell acknowledgment would be nice. Still nothing though, they keep pushing it off to the back burner.

Ok, not quite clear on the "Not really an OC encounter"
So you can't be lectured by the local PD about having a openly carried firearm in a holster because you are in uniform?

I didn't consider it OC, I considered it "I'm dressed for work, and not leaving my belt in the car" Local PD considers it OC and that was where that come from.

I guess by the very definitions it is OC, as compared to CC under a shirt.

So If I am carrying LE credentials, it doesn't count as OC? Mind you the local officer had no idea who or what I was when this started, adn I am not going to use that type of leverage to get out of a discussion about something that is legal. It's like kids trading on their daddy's name. I am not going to throw down credials outta my wallet unless I absolutely have to. I don't trade on what I do r who I work for.

Because of what I do, I wouldn't and don't broadcast who I am anyways, bad enough to have felons swear there coming after you as it is.

Local PD officer felt it was OC so that is how it was related to me, that is how I related it. If it wasn't a true OC incident by some definition please disregard it.

Manu

imported post

In my opinion if you were not wearing uniform/Badge and you were OC, then it is OC cuz no body knows that you are carrying for job. But if you were wearing uniform/badge then there is no grounds for LEO to discuse that with you anyways he has no grounds in either way. Can you please PM me name of that officer's name? Sometime I would like to chat with him too and see from where he is coming from.

KBCraig

imported post

triehl27 wrote:
At this point the chief of Police walks by, and stops to say hi, since it was pretty obvious that our discussion was intense. After a quick ketchup, he turns to the officer, and says
CHIEF: "Officer So and So, T******* is or has been a FFL holder, a fireams instructer, and firearms armorer for us and other townships around here on occaision, and knows more on firearms off the top of his head then our whole department after a month of study. He's worked with the armed forces in the past, and I have seen his quals, and records when he applied for the FFL, I know what his capabilities are. If he's armed, be glad he's on our side. He lives 4 doors down from me, and I am damned glad to have him on the street. And no he won't be telling you any more details. This is now over ok? Hey, T******, wife and I are BBQ'ing on Sunday wanna come over around 5?

Would the chief have stood up for John Q. with no bona fides at all? John Q. would be just as legal.