• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Mayors Against Illegal Guns (MAIG)

mikestilly

imported post

Here is our current list of Michigan Mayors Against Illegal Guns (MAIG). I've contacted both with emails and phone calls.

Michigan:

Mayor Bobby J. Hopewell
Kalamazoo, MI

337-8047
337-8182
cokcitymanager@kalamazoocity.org
bobbyhopewell@borgess.com
http://www.bobbyhopewell.com/contact-us/
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/bobby-hopewell/6/1a/284

----------------------
Mayor Brenda L. Lawrence
Southfield, MI

Telephone: (248) 796-5100
Fax: (248) 796-5105
E-mail Address: blawrence@cityofsouthfield.com

26000 Evergreen Road
P.O. Box 2055
Southfield, MI 48037-2055

http://www.facebook.com/people/Brenda-L-Lawrence/519807448

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

This doesn't make sense.

Michigan already honors every other state's resident conceal carry permits. The Thune amendment wouldn't have changed anything for these cities.

mikestilly

imported post

Funny! Found this online also.

Mayors Against Illegal Guns
Written by Admin
Wednesday, 14 January 2009
Yet another member of the Mayors Against Illegal Guns has been arrested (hat tip to Boots and Sabers).

Add Gary Becker to the list of other members that have been arrested.

For all their pontificating on the dangers of gun owners and ccw holders, I just have to wonder what percentage of the mayors have been arrested and compare that to the percentage of ccw holders that get arrested.

I would put money on the idea that mayors are more a threat to a safe, legal society than ccw holders or gun owners.

Has anyone kept a consolidated list of arrested members?

mikestilly

imported post

zigziggityzoo wrote:
This doesn't make sense.

Michigan already honors every other state's resident conceal carry permits. The Thune amendment wouldn't have changed anything for these cities.

That's correct but the more pressure we can put on states such as (CA, IA, WI, IL, NY, MA, CT, NJ, DE, MD, DC, NYC) the better. All of which honor no permits. The Thune Amendment was just a start. The list of state above seem to feel they're above the constitution. With the recent supreme court ruling and the Thune Amendmendment gives more precedence to the creation a federal gun rights act. Something we're in need of because states seem to feel that they are reserved to make laws trumping the constitution.

Mike

springerdave

Northern lower & Keweenaw area, Michigan, USA
imported post

Mikestilly, I too am displeased with the listed states and city, but that notion that it is any of my business what they do in their locales is crap. If I don't like the gun laws in another state, I have one sure way of dealing with it, JUST DON'T GO THERE! Likewise if someone from another state does not like the Michigan laws STAY OUT! Ideally I do not want the federal government or any other state to have any say in how restrictive/nonrestrictive our gun laws are. Sure I would really like for The Peoples Republik of Illinoyed to respect the 2nd Amendment, but that is really their business not mine. I thank Thune for his effort, but feel it would have been better placed elsewhere.springerdave.