• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Required Training for Military Vet?

Chase

Coopers Rock (Bruceton Mills), West Virginia, USA
imported post

Hellofolks. New member here.

I'm a military veteran (U.S. Army 10 years) who recently moved to West Virginia and am in the process of applying for a concealed carry permit.

I'm doing some research on how to go about this but I'm finding conflicting information as to whether myservice in the Army and weapons safety training count towards my firearms traning requirements when applying for a concealed carry permit.

Whilein the Army I trained in and actually conducted weapons training on a variety of firearms (i.e. .45, M16, M60). However, other than M16 rifle (qualified as expert), none of them appear in my service record as I did these things on my own.

If I read the statue correctly I beleiev it reads something along the lines of "firearms or safetytraining."

But then I've also read places where it says that merely servingin the military doesn't count towards the required training for concealed carry.

Can someone clarify for me which is correct? Do military vets still need to get some sort of redundant firearm safety training.

Thanks all.

Best,

Chase

marlin336

imported post

First off, thank you for your service.

You should be able to contact your local Sheriff's office and they'll tell you, since ultimately it will be them who issue it. My guess is that they will have you take the course, though.

If you are in Kan. County, I can give you the name of an instructor who is very inexpensive and his class is very simple and informative. Let me know and I can PM you his info. I just took it a few months ago.

Chase

imported post

Thank you Marlin. And thank you forthe recognition.

Yep, I suppose there's room for interpretation there from the Sheriffs county to county.

I'm in Preston County so I'll give Sheriff Wolfe's ofice a call. Probably have to go to Morrgantown for the class.

Thanks again.

Chase

James

imported post

You should be OK with what you have. I live in Mercer County and my discharge papers only showed rifle training but that was good enough for the Sheriff. Let us know what you find out.

amigaman

imported post

Chase,
First off thanks for your service and welcome to North-Central WV. I live in Monongalia Co. with way too many relatives in Preston Co. ;) If you need to come to Monongalia Co. for any classes I recommend Marstillers and I think you'd like Dave (the instructor) and the indoor range that is there.

If you want, PM me or drop me an email at amigaman1968@gmail.com and I can help ya with directions or give ya a few recommendations for eateries for afterwards.

Good luck with the permit and just let me know if there is anything you need while in Morgantown.

Scott

Chase

imported post

Thank you gents.

James, how long ago did you get your CC in Mercer? I hear that this thing 'bout not letting us vets use our dd214 any more is sort of a new thing.

Scott, thanks for the info. I've actually been to Marstillers and met Dave before I moved to WV full time. As a matter of fact, I took a nice Sako AV in .270 off his wall a while back. Great rifle. Actually took down a 5X5 bull elk with it. Folks said .270 was too small of a cartidge for elk. I said it is all about bullet placement. I gues I was right ;).

Sorry for going off topic here.

In any case. Thank you all for the information and advice. I'm also thinking about joining the Mason-Dixon Gun Club. They're up in the Cheatarea off of 857. I heard that they have quite the setup for pistol competition and offer the CC classes too. Anyone know about these folks

Best,

Chase

JimMullinsWVCDL

State Researcher
imported post

Unfortunately, unless you can show documentation of handgun-specific training, proof of military service will not fulfill West Virginia's proof of training requirement.

When the Legislature adopted the current list of acceptable forms of proof of training in 1996, they did not adopt the more generous provisions in effect in Florida, Virginia, and several other states for military service. Thus, veterans and current servicemembers must take a (usually) redundant handgun training class to get a WV CHL. Given the minimal requirements imposed by law for the current training options, the omission of military service a la FL & VA is senseless.

Since you're in Preston County, you may want to contact Dave Sypolt, who, in addition to being an NRA-certified handgun instructor who teaches concealed carry classes, is one of your state senators and a strong pro-gun voice in the state Senate who will need your help next year.

CaptainFinn

imported post

I am also looking into getting my WV permit.

Which NRA courses are considered sufficient training ?

In 2006 I was certified through the NRA Range Safety Officer course, which was required through my previous employer (Range Officer at a County-Operated range in Florida). It covered safety with handguns, rifles, and shotguns as well as range safety.

The NRA course certificate/card expires after one year--does west virginia recognise the course certificate even after it expires ?